Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hasegawa Jag XJS;Yea or Nay?

I've not built mine, but a quick look in the box reveals a pretty comprehensive kit with a full engine (and boy, that V12 is a FULL engine...), good interior details, and what looks like a very accurate rendition of the sleek shape of the XJ-S. Bad news from your point of view, if it matters, is that you can only build a UK spec car, driving on the right and with the single "lozenge" headlights instead of a pair of lenses each side. Still it's a true Brit classic (and it's amazing that you can still buy a good runner 1:1 for £5k...)

best,

M.

I just checked the Hasegawa #CA-10 XJS Cabriolet kit in the basement.  It not only comes with left and right hand dashboards:  it also has different door panels and the entire floor pan for both versions.  All these parts are in the box, and marked "not used" on the instruction sheet.  I bought this one at a kit swap meet a few years ago, and it still had "$10" price tag on it. So maybe you can find one fairly cheap.

There's also the old Revell #6203 Snap-Together Jag XJS in 1/25.  Here's a parts layout pic for it and a link to a detailed build, in Spanish.  I also have one of these, but it's still shrink-wrapped and I'd rather not open it.  The box art shows a LHD dashboard, and the Spanish modeler had to cut apart the dash to make it RHD.  But this kit was originally sold as "The Saint's Jaguar XJS" and "The New Avengers" XJS.  Those should have been RHD, since they were product tie-ins to British TV shows.  But I could not find a pic of the parts. So maybe Revell cut separate LHD/RHD dashboards. Or maybe they just did it as LHD only and ignored any complaints.

http://modelcarlistspanish.forumotion.com/t948p1-jaguar-xjs-1979-1-25-revell-snap-together

jaguar-parts.jpg

Hi,

Ooooo nice!

Yes some of the bigger sellers on eBay are still saying pre order.  At any rate congrats, that kit looks very very cool.

Tabu Design has already spit out a sheet to make the JPS livery from the '84 Guia Race of Macau as well.  The kit itself is the livery from the '84 24hrs of Spa.

I pre-ordered 3 TWR Jags from HLJ a couple of weeks ago and they arrived today. I've been waiting to get this kit since the 1980's and I have never had the opportunity to buy one of these kits so when I found out they were being re-issued I jumped straight on them. After a quick look I can't wait to get them started. The only disappointing thing that I can see from first glance is that the large white stripe on the side of the car is not supplied as a decal and has to be painted. Can someone who built the original kit tell me was the stripe a decal in the original issue or did it have to be painted as well?

Cheers

ShawnS

I pre-ordered 3 TWR Jags from HLJ a couple of weeks ago and they arrived today. I've been waiting to get this kit since the 1980's and I have never had the opportunity to buy one of these kits so when I found out they were being re-issued I jumped straight on them. After a quick look I can't wait to get them started. The only disappointing thing that I can see from first glance is that the large white stripe on the side of the car is not supplied as a decal and has to be painted. Can someone who built the original kit tell me was the stripe a decal in the original issue or did it have to be painted as well?

Cheers

ShawnS

Generally speaking as Hasegawa has been reissuing their old races cars (318i, Civic Hatchback, Civic 4dr, Porsche 962C, et al) they have been doing straight re-prints of the old decal sheets - except in cases where they're doing entirely new liveries.

Studio27 announced this morning that they are doing two XJ-S sets from 1982 & 1983, these liveries would require you to source center lock BBS wheels which are different than the supplied 1984 season wheels.

'82 Canon RAC Tourist Cup

WM_Silverstone-1982-09-12-003.thumb.jpg.

'83 Grand Prix of Brno

WM_Brno-1983-06-12-002.thumb.jpg.b9931d5

What color green would one suggest might be correct for the reissued TWR Jag? It looks like medium solid green but I'm not really sure. It could be metallic as well. It's definitely brighter than traditional British racing green

Google "Humbrol Brunswick Green", and you'll find something very similar. What the exact match in paint ranges you can easily buy is something you'll have to pursue, I'm afraid...

best,

M.

• 3 weeks later...