Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '70 Charger

'FM3' Panther Pink ( Dodge ) Moulin Rouge ( Plymouth ) is more aligned with Plymouth than with Dodge , for whatever reason . In my 47 years , I've seen but a tiny handful of legitimate FM3 cars :

- 1970 Duster 340

- 1970 Swinger 340 ( on an episode of CHiPs )

- 1971 Challenger R/T 383 .

Apparently , a couple of 1971 models were painted FM3 under the "999" Special Order Paint code .

I must wonder ; why did Chrysler decide to use cat scat brown as the interior colour for their 1970 R/T Charger  in the Scat Pack catalogue ??? Looks positively awful with that FM3 paint !

There was an FM3 Charger R/T with the dual pin stripe on the side the go over the door scoop (no bumble bee stripe) in the Cedar Rapids / Iowa City area. I have talked to the original owner (also a model builder) and he has some good pictures taken of him and the car back when it was new. As the owner of a 68 Coronet 500 convertible myself I have talked to many Mopar people in the area that remember the car. It was stolen in the mid 70's and never seen again.

Carmak

Wow Revell sure screwed up the Tail light panel , and the Air cleaner it should be oval not square ,the rear stripe should have a V shape to it not straight on the trunk .

Do I detect a note of sarcasm? These are instructions, after all... 

If so...then good one! :)

Instructions are up for the Charger

http://manuals.hobbico.com/rmx/85-4381.pdf

Looking at the instructions, I see it's another HEMI car. "Yawn." I'd rather have the 440. And the decals? Could the '70 Charger come with that hood and rear stripe setup from the factory? I've never seen hood stripes from the factory on a '70 Charger like that. But, I'm not a 1970 Charger expert. Will I be needing to go to Keith Marks to get "correct" factory style decals?

Scott, it looks to me that Revell took some "artistic license" with those hood stripes, and added 'em in just for an option, not necessarily factory stock.

One thing I wish Revell would really, really get away from is a "platform" for the interior and would do what AMT did in the '90's, and model their interiors to be on the flip side of the chassis. Real car interiors don't sit on platforms--------your seat/tracks are bolted directly on to the chassis floor. Sometimes this can lead to needless stacking and folks can have trouble figuring out why some things aren't fitting right, or is a real fight to get right.

Just my 2¢ worth............ ;)

Looking at the instructions, I see it's another HEMI car. "Yawn." I'd rather have the 440. And the decals? Could the '70 Charger come with that hood and rear stripe setup from the factory? I've never seen hood stripes from the factory on a '70 Charger like that. But, I'm not a 1970 Charger expert. Will I be needing to go to Keith Marks to get "correct" factory style decals?

The hood blackouts & callouts would be stock, although rare. I'm glad they're being included!

I know that the Chargers were available with the high impact colors, and I remember a couple of Plum Crazy ones that really stick out in my memory, but try as I might I just don't remember ever seeing one in Panther Pink, not saying that they weren't out there, BUT I never saw one. And I'm pretty sure that something as big as the Charger in Panther Pink would surely stick out in my memory. Saw some of the Challengers in it, and they weren't bad, even saw a local '70 El Camino that was painted in Panther Pink just after it was purchased. It belonged to a local sign painter and it DID draw attention to his business.

FM3 Panther Pink/Moulin Rouge was a factory 1970 1/2 color, introduced around February of 1970.  At that point in the 1970 model year the muscle car market was tanking big time, so dealers did not order much fresh factory production with the new mid-year features, which is one of the reasons these were so rare when new.  

FM3 was only available as a regular production order for the remainder of the 1970 model year only.  It was listed as an option for all A, B, and E-body Mopars, so that includes Dodge Darts, Coronets, Chargers, and Plymouth Dusters, Satellite/Road Runner/GTX's, and Barracuda/'cuda.  

As mentioned elsewhere in this this thread there were just a few factory-produced 1971 Mopars that were special ordered with FM3 paint; these are pretty well documented by now to the point that if you wanted to paint a 1971 Mopar muscle car in Panther Pink, go ahead and do so and say that it could have been built in 1/1 scale using the same special order process.  

By the way, years ago I fully documented the factory correct applications of all those "Muscle Era" special paint colors from Ford, GM, AMC, and of course the Chrysler High Impact paint line; it is available as a downloadable .pdf for a minimal price.  If any of you are interested, PM me and I will send you the link to order it  

TIM 

The hood blackouts & callouts would be stock, although rare. I'm glad they're being included!

Me too.....these are factory correct, although seldom seen.  I wouldn't have ordered them on a real 1/1 scale 1970 Charger R/T, but  they are nice to have as a building option.  

For those of you not familiar with the 1970 Charger R/T, there was another factory side graphic option that could be ordered in place of the "Bumble Bee" stripes.  It was an enlarged pintstripe type treatment that ran along both the upper and lower breaklines of the side "wedge" styling lines.  

TIM   

This is getting really into trivia, but for 1970 1/2 Dodge also introduced painted racing style left/right rearview mirrors for the Charger; these are very rare and almost never seen on the real cars that are still left out there.  For a model you could use the racing mirrors from the various 1970 Challenger or 1971 Charger kits (or their Plymouth equivalents) but you will need to kitbash the bottom of the mounts to the body as the Charger mirrors attached on the horizontal door surface next to the beltine, vs. the sloping door panels on the aforementioned Mopars.  

TIM