Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '70 Charger

Opened up my '70 Charger and started doing the sub assembly work on the kit. It's a very nice kit. The only thing I don't understand, is why Revell gave us pad printed redline tires with this. Don't get me wrong, I love redline tires. I wish Revell had offered them in their other kits. Like their '67 Corvettes for instance. The redline decals in those kits are a pain in the you know what. And don't look all that good. But, in real life, redlines were pretty much done by 1970. Dodge did not offer them as options on the '70 Charger from all the info I've been looking at. 1970 is the year of the white letter tires. This was big that year, and for many years after. And Dodge did offer white letter tires on the Chargers in several different sizes that year. But, no redlines. 

Despite my complaining above. I will still be using the redlines in this kit, on this model. Yet, redlines really only belong on new cars built from 1966 - 1969. 

I get a kick out the complaints about the '70 Charger R/T door side scoops. And how many people don't like them. Including me. But, they are correct for this car. And you know many people would be screaming bloody murder if Revell hadn't included them. At least they are not molded right into the door. If you don't like them, you can just leave them off. Though the door scoops are the one feature I don't like on the '70, over the 68's and 69's, I'll be using them. Since that is correct for this car. I know it makes no sense. I dislike the door scoops, yet I'm using them because they are correct. And I'm also using the redline tires, even though they are not correct. I don't always follow logic. I build them the way I like. Mostly correct. 

Edited by unclescott58

Opened up my '70 Charger and started doing the sub assembly work on the kit. It's a very nice kit. The only thing I don't understand, is why Revell gave us pad printed redline tires with this. Don't get me wrong, I love redline tires. I wish Revell had offered them in their other kits. Like their '67 Corvettes for instance. The redline decals in those kits are a pain in the you know what. And don't look all that good. But, in real life, redlines were pretty much done by 1970. Dodge did not offer them as options on the '70 Charger from all the info I've been looking at. 1970 is the year of the white letter tires. This was big that year, and for many years after. And Dodge did offer white letter tires on the Chargers in several different sizes that year. But, no redlines. 

Despite my complaining above. I will still be using the redlines in this kit, on this model. Yet, redlines really only belong on new cars built from 1966 - 1969. 

I get a kick out the complaints about the '70 Charger R/T door side scoops. And how many people don't like them. Including me. But, they are correct for this car. And you know many people would be screaming bloody murder if Revell hadn't included them. At least they are not molded right into the door. If you don't like them, you can just leave them off. Though the door scoops are the one feature I don't like on the '70, over the 68's and 69's, I'll be using them. Since that is correct for this car. I know it makes no sense. I dislike the door scoops, yet I'm using them because they are correct. And I'm also using the redline tires, even though they are not correct. I don't always follow logic. I build them the way I like. Mostly correct. 

unclescott58, just remember Mopars are the same color under hood,firewall,fenders and rad cradle with flat/semigloss black 2/3 sprayed up from the bottom..If you went to Mopars in Park in the late 90s to 2006 you would have heard me. I used to do the announcing and talking to owners at Raceway Park when it was held there..I owned a 64 Fury Convertible

1964 Fury at Regent Avenue.jpg

unclescott58, just remember Mopars are the same color under hood,firewall,fenders and rad cradle with flat/semigloss black 2/3 sprayed up from the bottom..If you went to Mopars in Park in the late 90s to 2006 you would have heard me. I used to do the announcing and talking to owners at Raceway Park when it was held there..I owned a 64 Fury Convertible

1964 Fury at Regent Avenue.jpg

I'm aware of the facts you've just noted. And I'm also aware of who you are. And your background in Morpars. Your one of the "experts" here I trust on that subject.

So, am I correct on the availability of redline tires on Chargers? Or not? 

Edited by unclescott58

I'm aware of the facts you've just noted. And I'm also aware of who you are. And your background in Morpars. Your one of the "experts" here I trust on that subject.

So, am I correct on the availability of redline tires on Chargers? Or not? 

Scott, I'am coming down to the cities on evening of November 16 and will be with Dave Sweet at Chili's in Shakopee that night for a few beers. How about joining us..Look at my avatar, thats how I look(not the dog)  I'am speaking at an American Heart Association gala on the 18th as a survivor of heart attack/stroke..My daughter is the organizer..Hope to see you at Chili's..Should be there by 7:00..

Scott, I'am coming down to the cities on evening of November 16 and will be with Dave Sweet at Chili's in Shakopee that night for a few beers. How about joining us..Look at my avatar, thats how I look(not the dog)  I'am speaking at an American Heart Association gala on the 18th as a survivor of heart attack/stroke..My daughter is the organizer..Hope to see you at Chili's..Should be there by 7:00..

I'll see if I can make it. It would be very nice to meet you.

Edited by unclescott58

'64 GTO's, '65 GTO's, '65 442's, etc. according to my reference book.

ok. Could be. I'm not up on GM cars very well.

I'm petty sure  67 was 1st year for red lines on corvette?.  

As for Mopar its 1967 .

64 thru 1966 were bluelines  or white walls. No redlines. 

And No red lines avail in 1970

The looks pretty good Rob. Thanks for showing us the kit contents I my bedroom, I have an excellent Hemming's Muscle Machine article and photos of a Triple Black, with the White Bumble Bee '70 Hemi Charger R/T. I plan to pilfer the Rally Wheels from Revell Hemi Cuda, and a set of AMT Pad- printed Polyglas GT White Lettered Tires. This will bookend with the '68 Charger R/T from "Bullitt"  that I want to do. I bought a set of wheelcovers from Fireball Modelworks to do the project. I cannot wait!!!!!!

I got my '70 Charger Today. I like what I see, and I have the paint to do it with. I also got some AMT Polyglas white-lettered tires. hen I was a kid when this car was new, my favorite color and trim combination was Plum Crazy/White Interior/ White Longitudal Stripes. By the way, I also like that Top Banana Car in the pictures also.