Model Cars Magazine Forum

Autoquiz 336 - Canceled

• 2 weeks later...

I thought it had so many Pininfarina details that it had to be one of his, but despite having a vast tome with every one of his designs in it, I couldn't find it, so I guess it's someone copying (err... being "inspired by") some of his Ferraris. Then I thought maybe a Pegaso, but no. It's very clean-lined, and somehow a bit like a tinplate toy "essence of 50s European GT"... So I'd love to know as well!

best,

M.

...And the reason it LOOKS like a a Pininfarina design is because the prototype was in fact apparently designed by Farina, though the bodies were BUILT by Facel. There seems to be some confusion as to whether the design originated with the Stabilimenti Farina company (established by Giovanni Carlo Farina in 1906, and closing in 1953), or Giovanni's brother "Pinin" Farina's company which opened in 1930. Either way, the purity of line and graceful proportions typical of Pininfarina are there...though the car has some elements also typical of Ghia designs of the period. Some of the cars I've seen have the "Pininfarina" script and shield on the lower front fender, and some have "MonteCarlo" script and the "Facel" shield.

I believe this particular car may be a '52, as the later "eggcrate" grill cars usually have a hood scoop. And speaking of that grille...put your fingers over the roof and bumper, squint a little, and you see something somewhat similar to several Ferrari 166 Barchetta bodeis. Italian coachbuilders were much influenced by each other's work.

Image result for 1953 Ford Comete 13CV.      With hood scoop and fender script / shield.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Well one consolation is that you can play Auto Id solitaire - you can select your own subject then try to work out what it is!

Thanks to Michael and Bill for the information and thanks Matt for posting it in the first place and for brightening up my evening! 

Cheers,

-Don.

Doh... now do I feel stupid?

Guess who posted the previous Auto ID which featured the Ford Facel Comete...?

Me.

No wonder it looked vaguely familiar, but it does make me wonder about the state of my brain in my advancing years... ;-(

best,

M.

I'm right there with you. The lack of the hood scoop really threw me. I just KNEW that I knew what the car was, but I couldn't quite place it. 

I searched every Ghia and Pininfarina and other old Italian carrozzeria design to no avail...until I finally got past the hood scoop and looked very carefully at the proportions instead.

Head slap.  :D

Funny too, as I think this is one of the nicest, cleanest designs of all time. Not swoopy or wow, but understated elegance, and perfect proportions.

That little hood scoop makes a huge difference in the car's 'face'.

Related image

Doh... now do I feel stupid?

Guess who posted the previous Auto ID which featured the Ford Facel Comete...?

Me.

No wonder it looked vaguely familiar, but it does make me wonder about the state of my brain in my advancing years... ;-(

best,

M.

Haha! I knew what it was, but as usual I went on line to refine my answer ( Michael has been quite subtle with some of his subjects, they are not as simple as they first appear) Wasn't long before I got that "I've been here before" feeling, I was quite surprised to realise how recently I'd researched the Comete. You are not the only one with fading faculties Matt.