Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 4th Quarter 2017

For those who haven't seen the post in the auto news section, here's the flyer for Revell's 4th Quarter of this year.

Took this photo at the GTR Contest yesterday in Crystal Lake Illinois

35622079223_c73fe1ce06_b.jpg

Nice to see the Honcho again since the ebay kits were getting pricy! It appears that the GMC is the High Roller kit, probably just with new decals.

Edited by Jordan White

Suspension is the same as the normal kit, with molded riser blocks built in. about 7 scale inches. But it gives the Stepside you can bash with the snow plow kit. That is nice. Means you can build fleetside or stepside beds on both trucks. Should have a better intake system too, rather than that oddball '57 Chevy inspired F.I. unit.

Suspension is the same as the normal kit, with molded riser blocks built in. about 7 scale inches. But it gives the Stepside you can bash with the snow plow kit. That is nice. Means you can build fleetside or stepside beds on both trucks. Should have a better intake system too, rather than that oddball '57 Chevy inspired F.I. unit.

The GMC High Roller (and the new reissue pictured on the flyer above) is a fleet side, like the snow plow truck kit.  IIRC, only the Monogram Chevy 4x4 pickup had the step side bed.    Would nice to see the Chevy step side and LUV High Roller reissued eventually also. 

Edited by Rob Hall

Looks like the parts from thier 30 coupe kit are now in the 29 roadster kit...interesting approach to "updating" a kit.

but I hope that doesn't mean the coupe body was "lost".....

That's the way the original tooling was designed.....engines and other parts can be shared across different kits.  Don't worry about the Coupe body, it will be produced again as Revell announced a few months ago.  TIM ;

I knew the parts were interchangeable, but I'm still sort of surprised to see they swapped the '30 coupe's mag wheels and blown engine into the '29. Interesting. Does this mean later we'll get a '30 coupe kit with the nailhead? That would be cool.

*on second thought, I think it's the '29 BODY that has been swapped onto the frame/engine/etc from the '30 kit.

Or perhaps the '30 coupe kit will get a new engine, inspiring us poor suckers to buy it so we can swap the new mill into the '29 roadsters we purchased previously. A guy can dream :D:D

Nice to see that the J10 will be seeing the light-of-day again ! It's been , what , 20 years since its last appearance ? 

Yes , it's an oversimplified c.1980 Revell kit ...

... but it's the only game in town for a J-Series ! 

IIRC , the kit is completely sans plated parts . I had the original ( c.1982 or so ) when it was new-ish , and it's a nice kit . 

Doesn't someone make conversion parts to make it an earlier model ? Like , c.1965 or so ? Tornado OHC 6 banger would be great !

Last time the Honcho was out was 1995-ish, IIRC...it was reissued in an 80s-style box, everything molded in black.  I built that issue. 

There was 2 other issues after that. It was also part of the Revell "Blacktop Warriors" series, which were a Mad Max/Post Apocalyptic style line. They were released in '01. The Honcho had 2 different issues, both essentially the same other than the box and the decals. The first issue was the "Mr. Deadwrench", and is the rarer of the 2. It was quickly dropped, and renamed the "Pink Poison" shortly after February of '01, after the events of the Daytona 500 of that year. Both versions are molded in pink.

There was 2 other issues after that. It was also part of the Revell "Blacktop Warriors" series, which were a Mad Max/Post Apocalyptic style line. They were released in '01. The Honcho had 2 different issues, both essentially the same other than the box and the decals. The first issue was the "Mr. Deadwrench", and is the rarer of the 2. It was quickly dropped, and renamed the "Pink Poison" shortly after February of '01, after the events of the Daytona 500 of that year. Both versions are molded in pink.

Ah, I forgot those...the box art looked pretty dumb, ignored them. 

I have all three of the "Black Top Warriors" kits. The Pink Poison, was the Jeep Honcho Truck. Molded in White. The Killer Bee was the old Revell Baja Bug. Molded in Yellow. The last is the Alley Rat, which is the old Revell Sneak Pete, pick up. Molded in Black. Other than the Decal sheets and some jazzy writeups on the instruction sheets, they are straight re-issues of the Original kits. The Killer Bee Bug includes Revell's awful two piece tires. They are decent kits, but not outstanding. You would not believe the asking prices for them on the auction site now......