Model Cars Magazine Forum

I have this illness

cobramike

Not sure if this is the right place to post this thread;
my wife just got home from shopping and she bought me these two kits. She said she likes the way they look.  I do also now! 
So are they new? new old models? redone?  They are both AMT Kits 

new modellkits.jpg

The pick-up is a new/old model from the mid 60's.  I built an original issue while a sophomore in high school and I graduated 1967.  It has been repopped a few times in different forms, but has mostly maintained its original pieces.  This particular one may have an updated decal sheet, and some cleaner molds, but it is still a nostalgic piece of modeling hot rod history.  The convertible is also a repop and again may have an updated decal sheet, but is essentially the original kit.  I have two of both them, although the convertible is an earlier reissue, and looking forward to doing something with them.

Love all the custom goodies in the truck kit, Ive got a couple of WIPs using them on other period customs(not the truck). Very nice kit for its age. The car is also nice, as others have mentioned, I just recently picked up the Indy Pace Car version of that same kit. Get to building!

Both are great kits and have been popular with builders and I'm sure that's why they have been reissued. The '53 Ford F-100 is one of my favorites for many reasons. The options are many and I like the option of the Chevrolet rear fenders with the Corvette tail lights. There are Welding Tanks and lots of Tools . The additional Custom options can be used on other builds also. I had a good friend years ago who had a '53 and it was a great truck and that may also play with my feelings about the model.  

The F-100 is the first 'true' reissue of that kit, meaning it has all of the various extra parts and accessories that were included in the original small box release (and the original box art).  I don't have the reissue (I have a complete original), but there may also be reprints of the original "box candy" paperwork, too.  George Barris, dressed in a coat and tie, building model cars with a couple of kids.  It don't get much better than that, LOL.

In typical AMT fashion, they started eliminating stuff and changing (aka "updating") the custom parts beginning with the second release in about '65-6.  By the the early 80s, all you got when you opened the box was the stock truck (from worn out molds) with a bare minimum of custom parts, a sheet of (completely different from the originals) decals, and the instructions (also different) - occasionally there was an advertising flyer of some sort, as well.

I've got a few of the Round 2 reissues, and am pretty impressed with them overall.  The plastic is sometimes a bit thin (almost translucent on some), but the new/refreshed molds are awesome.  One of the best things about the reissues is the tires.  Way better than the original AMT ones in several ways.  A lot of the new kits have size-corrected tires in place of the tired old T-236s that virtually every AMT kit used to come with.  Some have nice pad printed or molded white walls.  Best of all, they supposedly won't get "hot" like what's all too often found in original 'golden era' kits.

That's too funny, maybe CobraMike doesn't have a million kits in his stash... most of us have that illness

your right, I don't have a room full of kits.  

I do have many other hobbies, like gardening, hunting, fishing, knife making, raising koi, greenhouse, and not to mention playing with my 98' Cobra, so with that being stated there's not allot of extra time for buying and building model cars, airplanes etc.  So, no I do not have a "stash" of models that I can brag to all of you on these forums,  as I don't need to brag about my boxes and boxes of wasted money sitting on a shelf!

The F-100 is the first 'true' reissue of that kit, meaning it has all of the various extra parts and accessories that were included in the original small box release (and the original box art).  I don't have the reissue (I have a complete original), but there may also be reprints of the original "box candy" paperwork, too.  George Barris, dressed in a coat and tie, building model cars with a couple of kids.  It don't get much better than that, LOL.

In typical AMT fashion, they started eliminating stuff and changing (aka "updating") the custom parts beginning with the second release in about '65-6.  By the the early 80s, all you got when you opened the box was the stock truck (from worn out molds) with a bare minimum of custom parts, a sheet of (completely different from the originals) decals, and the instructions (also different) - occasionally there was an advertising flyer of some sort, as well.

I've got a few of the Round 2 reissues, and am pretty impressed with them overall.  The plastic is sometimes a bit thin (almost translucent on some), but the new/refreshed molds are awesome.  One of the best things about the reissues is the tires.  Way better than the original AMT ones in several ways.  A lot of the new kits have size-corrected tires in place of the tired old T-236s that virtually every AMT kit used to come with.  Some have nice pad printed or molded white walls.  Best of all, they supposedly won't get "hot" like what's all too often found in original 'golden era' kits.

thesthese kits look to be pretty nice, your right that tthey seem to be from new molds.  Nice sharp lines, no twisted bodies, thin plastic, and yes the tires are modern