Model Cars Magazine Forum

'51 Chev Fleetline Deluxe Restoration

Markalister

How many WIP's on the bench (not including those in the stash that are started) at once is too many??  This is #3 for me.  This is my first post here in the on the workbench section so I will try to keep it up to date and hopefully by posting this build/rebuild it will inspire me not to take forever to do it.  I built this model well over 25 years ago back before I knew about spraying a car body.  In an effort to get a smooth paint finish with a $0.10 Testors brush I thought that if I put it on thick enough it will self level and look not to bad.  Well it satisfied my standards 25+ years ago, but it doesn't anymore.  I really like the lines of the Fleetline's "fastback" rear end over the Bel Air or the Styleline of the same year, so I really wanted to rebuild it and have it grace the shelf of new standards. 

I'm going to rebuild it mostly box stock with a couple of minor changes.  I will probably use the fender skirts this time around and a color change is in order - nothing metallic this time.  Looks great on a custom, but this will not be one.

I started reading on this forum all the different methods you guys are using for disassembling glue bombs and such, so I rushed to the bench and pulled the '51 out of the box and started applying them.  I was so eager I didn't think to take any pics while it was still together. I did manage to get these pics of the body just after it got into the purple "half bath" (I need more so I can completely submerse it).

20170807_163806(0).thumb.jpg.7e307872d4820170807_164017.thumb.jpg.ff7c4a4df9c909

Needless to say there is a lot of paint on this car!  The car came apart very well, only a couple of minor breaks that are easily fixed.  There is something to be said about not scrapping the chrome off before gluing - it sure makes disassembly real nice and easy.  So I got most of the rest of the parts stripped of their paint, just need to clean the old glue off and start repainting.

20170807_164728.thumb.jpg.6d9f8486fc40a6

I am going to have to search the parts box or scratch build 1 rear shock which found it's way down the drain while cleaning (even pulled the plug on the p-trap to no avail).  Lesson learned - I hope.

Thankfully, the first time I built this car I was going through a "use less glue" phase in my early building years, which surly can't be said for most of the cars that no longer sit on the shelf.  This also made me think it was a good idea to cut the roof attaching strips off the glass before attaching them.  Good thinking - BAD execution.  Needless to say it went horribly wrong for me and I destroyed all of the glass.

20170807_164958.thumb.jpg.6f12b7db30c23b

The glass never did make it into the car - it sat on the shelf with none in it and one window disappeared altogether over the years.  Hopefully the old glass will serve as templates for some new ones.

I'm up in the air on a few things though at the moment...

1. Strip the old paint off the engine and start fresh or leave it with a few touch ups?  All said it doesn't look too bad as is.

20170807_164909.thumb.jpg.d46b5ca42fa605

2. Strip the chrome and Alclad it (will have to practice this one first) or leave them as is?

20170807_165201.thumb.jpg.fe80d553789e41

3. Choice of wheels.  2 of the 3 are the ones that came with the kit.  The other is off of a snap '57 Chevy (I think), I'm kinda leaning towards this one.  I like the whitewalls and they are something a bit nicer, a bit "more" than the plain old dog dishes.  I also like the looks of the stock hubcaps off the '58 Impala, but she isn't willing to give them up just yet as she is also one of the few restoration candidates.

20170807_165056.thumb.jpg.6c0bf82dddb477

I managed to get the chassis and the back side of the interior sprayed flat black today, but I think that's all I'll do on this one for tonight.  It's toasty out in the garage right now.

Anyways, thanks for looking and stay tuned for more updates.

Mark.

2 cents worth: First, touch up the engine, it looks fine; add some plug wires, etc.. it will pop! Second, chrome pieces should look just fine against new paint. Third, I like the wide whites, but the hubcap leaves a lot to be desired; I have an extra set of AMT 63 mpala SS hubcaps you are welcome to, if you like. ( Very attractive, similar design to the 58)  I love this body style and will follow your progress eagerly! PM me your address if you want the 'caps.

My suggestion has to do with your window issues. I'm building a resin body of the '50 Oldsmobile fast back. The master was done by using the roof and trunk portion of your Chevrolet spliced into the Oldsmobile body. This morning I'm making the "glass" since the windshield is about all that can be used from the Oldsmobile kit. My first step was to give the glass something to help it center into the window opening. I used a couple of 3.2 mm angle pieces Plastruct glued inside the body to give positive mounting points. Using a bit of paper taped to the inside of the body I then drew the openings on the outside of the paper with a pencil. The paper can then be used as a templet for the window. I try to have at least 1/4th inch of over lap on the inside mounting. For the "glass" I'm using the clear plastic from the collar of a new dress shirt. There are several choices of glue, I use Aleene's Jewel-it from JoAnns Fabrics, but again there are many others you could use.  Hope this can help.       

2 cents worth: First, touch up the engine, it looks fine; add some plug wires, etc.. it will pop! Second, chrome pieces should look just fine against new paint. Third, I like the wide whites, but the hubcap leaves a lot to be desired; I have an extra set of AMT 63 mpala SS hubcaps you are welcome to, if you like. ( Very attractive, similar design to the 58)  I love this body style and will follow your progress eagerly! PM me your address if you want the 'caps.

Thanks Rusty, I'll keep the hubcaps in mind if that's the route I want to go.  The white walls are a definite must and I agree with you on the hubcaps.  The more I look at them, the more I dislike them.  I did a google image search and came across this stunning beauty, which has me leaning more in this direction.  Near as I can tell these look to be from an Oldsmobile (neighborhood of '50) and I believe are included in the Revell '50 Olds Custom kit.  Get's me thinking my Fleetline needs a visor and an airplane on the hood too!  Might be able to scratch build those.

013.thumb.jpg.6e98b389c80fd67b0f481cbd43021.thumb.jpg.5019a628f507287f32bcd2cd86

I don't know where the owner parks this car, but I do know it would look a whole lot better parked in MY driveway.

Mark.

I got the chassis detail painted today.  In my younger years I used to be able to paints brake/fuel lines with a sewing needle and just with the naked eye.  Those were the days!  Now almost everything I do is under a magnifying glass.  The light in it kills all the shadows too - it's great.

20170808_181240.thumb.jpg.24aab4dde4375b

Don't know what or if I'll get anything else finished on it today or not, but this is progress.

Mark.

Hi Mark,

Gee - we're almost neighbors! *smiles* Those wheel covers on that red beauty are from a '56 Oldsmobile.. they certainly suit that Chevy.. I am not sure where you would find a set of those - now where is Modelhaus?????????? Not to start a debate here, but somebody really needs to either buy that business or start producing some of the stuff they offered.

Those are some nice hubcaps, for sure; I can't help but think I've seen something similar if not the same, in a kit in my stash. Looks SO familiar; might be a custom option in an old AMT kit...

Never cared much for sun visors on cars, they disrupt the flowing lines, but to each his own!  On another note, that deep red is bee-yooo-tee-ful on that car!

Hi Mark,

Gee - we're almost neighbors! *smiles* Those wheel covers on that red beauty are from a '56 Oldsmobile.. they certainly suit that Chevy.. I am not sure where you would find a set of those - now where is Modelhaus?????????? Not to start a debate here, but somebody really needs to either buy that business or start producing some of the stuff they offered.

Gary, what part of southern BC do you live in?  I believe you are correct on the '56 Olds.  The reason I was thinking '50 was because of this (mind you, "custom" doesn't necessarily mean they are correct for that year):

DSC_0172-vi.thumb.jpg.e291cf4a3ce53b9235

They look really, really close.

Those are some nice hubcaps, for sure; I can't help but think I've seen something similar if not the same, in a kit in my stash. Looks SO familiar; might be a custom option in an old AMT kit...

Never cared much for sun visors on cars, they disrupt the flowing lines, but to each his own!  On another note, that deep red is bee-yooo-tee-ful on that car!

This may be the kit where you thought you'd seen them before Rusty.  Every time I look at that red car I feel a nasty drool coming on.  Not sure why!  Weirdest thing!

Mark.

Well, this is my wheel supply. Sure there's going to be more down the road. I like chrome reverse and 5 spoke mags from 60s and 70s. Age thing.

Eyeballs off my peanut butter cookies!20170809_115923.thumb.jpg.3d8da6d37962ea20170809_115926.thumb.jpg.bf0d0311aa070e20170809_115928.thumb.jpg.04a9e1aaf557e2

MMMMMMM, peanut butter cookies!!!  Sorry, I couldn't resist.  In your first pic, far right side, is that a set of 4 or is the top one different and what kit are those from?

I am overwhelmed by everyone's generosity, thank you. 

I am going to wait to decide what wheels I want to go with until I get the body stripped and can hold it next to the computer monitor to get a better idea.  The one's in the '56 Ford kit look really nice too, kinda makes me wish I liked the old Ford pickups.  The '56 Ford is better than the '51 and '53 though.  I'm a GMC pickup guy.

Well, the old thick paint on the car is proving to be a formidable foe!  After 4 days in the purple pond (well, blue now), soaking the lower half, it's starting to come off, but very slowly even after a hardy scrub with a stiff bristle brush.

I spent entirely way too much time cleaning up AMT's laziness on the rear end, but it had to be done.  I scribed in the leaf springs with my #11 and cleaned up the mold lines.

20170808_222820.thumb.jpg.49d09ca3fd8b5d20170809_133742.thumb.jpg.3bb323b7328532

I wouldn't have been able to live with myself if I left it.  I just have to figure out the attachment to the wheel backs now as the inner plugs didn't survive.  If I remember right, the original wheel fit was really sloppy and they ended up with a saggy stance so I glued the snot out of them to make them sit right.  I think I have some metal axels and wheel backs in the parts box that might work well.  If all goes to plan I should have that painted up by the end of the day.

Terry, what kit are these from? I can use a set!

hubcaps.jpg

After a bit of investigating/digging through the de-shelved built up stash - those, I believe, are the custom wheels that came in the AMT '58 Impala kit.  I have a set as well (I knew I had seen them before).  I had put a set of 2 spoke spinners in the center of mine, all of which have fallen off now, and only seem to see 3 (spinners).  Can't say I ever had them on a car though.  Terry's are in better shape than mine are.

Mark.