Model Cars Magazine Forum

'51 Chev Fleetline Deluxe Restoration

Markalister

Sorry for the lack of updates to the Fleetline.  I have been working on it.  Mostly cleanup and repainting.  I should be able to get some assembly done this afternoon.  The thick old paint is still hanging on, but I have managed to get the lower third stripped good enough that the last bits will come off when I sand it.  I ordered a Molotow pen online for some of the finer chrome trim.  It was supposed to be here last Tuesday (just in time for my week off work) - today is Friday, no pen in the mailbox and holiday's are over.  Not happy.  Oh well, the joy of living in a remote northern town in Canada - nothing arrives on time.  I still have the weekend and still hope to make some good progress on it and I will try and post some pics by the end of the day.

Mark.

Terry; will do, and THANKS!

Mark, that paint is taking way too long to strip. Is it enamel-based?  Acrylic -based? Reason I ask, if it's acrylic based paint, it might not come off with the purple stuff, BUT, it will come off in a soakig of isopropyl alcohol. ( Get the stronger solution)

If it IS enamel based, get a one-gallon ziplock bag or an airtight plastic food container, then spray the body liberally with oven cleaner (wear vinyl gloves), seal it in your bag/container and watch the paint wash off in a day or two. It might need two applications, but the stuff is strong on tough paint! Good luck...

Terry; will do, and THANKS!

Mark, that paint is taking way too long to strip. Is it enamel-based?  Acrylic -based? Reason I ask, if it's acrylic based paint, it might not come off with the purple stuff, BUT, it will come off in a soakig of isopropyl alcohol. ( Get the stronger solution)

If it IS enamel based, get a one-gallon ziplock bag or an airtight plastic food container, then spray the body liberally with oven cleaner (wear vinyl gloves), seal it in your bag/container and watch the paint wash off in a day or two. It might need two applications, but the stuff is strong on tough paint! Good luck...

Rusty, funny you should say that as I was thinking the same thing.  The paint on it was small bottle Testors enamel.  I got tired of waiting (although the lower half of the car looks great).  Just before coming back to the computer I switched it out to Easy-Off (I've had good luck with it in the past) in a Ziplock bag (don't have enough Easy-Off to submerge it in a container either).  Part of the problem was I didn't have enough purple stuff to completely submerge the body as to do it all at once.  The hood and most of the other parts cleaned up beautifully after a 2 day soak in the purple pond, but the body...:angry:

Anyways, I did manage to get a bunch of other stuff done.  The rear end is in, the exhaust is in but loose as I need to wait for the engine for final placement (I think in the cleanup I lost the rear mounting location on the chassis, not a big deal).  I got the seats and the interior tub painted and assembled (color is MM Sand Beige with dull coat on the floor and seat inserts and semi-gloss on the door panels and the rest of the seats).  Just waiting for my Molotow pen to show up so I can finish up the window cranks and such on the door panels.  I found a shock that was a pretty close match to replace the one that went down the drain, just had to scratch build a bottom for it.  Now I just need the body so I can do a dry fit to see which front axel spindle (lowered or not) gives it the best stance.  Here's a pic of all the finished up parts...

20170812_000205.thumb.jpg.11e4cc9f7504fc

I'll pick up some flat white acrylic paint for the white walls and see what they have for dark red paint next weekend when I "go to the city" (the next town over is 45 minutes away and there is a hobby shop there).  Tomorrow I'll hopefully get the engine cleaned up, wired and ready to go in, and maybe get the front suspension finished so I can get it sitting on all fours.

Well, that's all for tonight.

So I know I said I was going to get cranking on the engine today, but I took a slight detour.  I set out into the stash looking for a suitable mirror for the car, something simple, with a round head on it.  Well I didn't find one that could be stolen so to speak.  However, I came across a treasure I didn't know I had, the exact wheels that she had been asking for.  The wheels are off of the Revell California Wheels '59 Impala, a kit in the stash that I had done nothing more than open it and put it in the closet.  The tires I had picked out, unfortunately, were too small and the wheels wouldn't fit in them.  Back to the stash I go, open up the most unlikely candidate, a '64 Chevy pickup (Revell California Wheels edition) pictured with a gorgeous set of mags and low profile tires.  Low and behold there's a perfect set of Firestone tires with white wall inserts in there!!  The wheels and backs were both slightly loose in the tires so they had to be glued together with the tire sandwiched in between.

20170812_222604.thumb.jpg.e0ebf1d7fe8777

Thanks again to those who offered their wares, while I won't need them for this build I do still appreciate the offers.

After a week of fighting the paint in the purple puddle, I switched to Easy-Off late last night.  Checked it this afternoon - Done.

20170812_222443.thumb.jpg.2dc98c1cacd4b8

I couple of little spots where the silver paint was a bit stubborn, but nothing that won't get taken care of when I sand all the mold lines out of it - and there are a lot on this car.  I will try and get the engine worked on tomorrow.

Mark.

Like this?20170813_113332.thumb.jpg.d8a2ac381b18d7

Terry, yes - that's pretty much what I had in mind.  It looks era correct, like it would have come on the car.  If your interested in parting with it let me know, I'll pm you my address.  Mirrors, I believe, were an option in '51.  All of the scans of brochures, etc I have found online for the '51 Chevy lineup shows them all with no mirror.  All of the useable ones I have look like a generic mirror you would find today on the rack in an auto parts store for $5 - that's not what I in mind.

Thanks Rusty, I'll keep the hubcaps in mind if that's the route I want to go.  The white walls are a definite must and I agree with you on the hubcaps.  The more I look at them, the more I dislike them.  I did a google image search and came across this stunning beauty, which has me leaning more in this direction.  Near as I can tell these look to be from an Oldsmobile (neighborhood of '50) and I believe are included in the Revell '50 Olds Custom kit.  Get's me thinking my Fleetline needs a visor and an airplane on the hood too!  Might be able to scratch build those.

013.thumb.jpg.6e98b389c80fd67b0f481cbd43021.thumb.jpg.5019a628f507287f32bcd2cd86

I don't know where the owner parks this car, but I do know it would look a whole lot better parked in MY driveway.

Mark.

You can find a set of these exact wheels in the Revell "Skip's Fiesta" '59 Ford kit.

I probably have a set if you need them.

Steve

DSCN6182

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

Terry, yes - that's pretty much what I had in mind.  It looks era correct, like it would have come on the car.  If your interested in parting with it let me know, I'll pm you my address.  Mirrors, I believe, were an option in '51.  All of the scans of brochures, etc I have found online for the '51 Chevy lineup shows them all with no mirror.  All of the useable ones I have look like a generic mirror you would find today on the rack in an auto parts store for $5 - that's not what I in mind.

PM your address

They are the "custom option" from the '58 Chevy kit.

Perfect if you're looking for '62/'63 Chrysler 300 stock caps.

Steve

Steve, you are pretty close; I'm going to do my ham-fisted best to convert them to '59 Imperial LeBaron caps!

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update...  Haven't been getting as much bench time in as I would like as real life has been getting in the way, but I have been getting a few things done.  I scratch-built the first piece of glass (rear passenger side) out of a blister pack.  I got the engine cleaned up, trimmed down the insanely thick belts (the belts would probably have worked out to be close to 1-1/2 scale inches thick before I thinned them up a bit to look more realistic).  I started on wiring the engine (this process always fights back for some reason).  I got the first bit of red color on some of the small bits (dash, top of door panels and front & rear splash pans) - the results I couldn't be happier with.  Once I get the interior trim painted I will post some pics.

Mark.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry it's been so long, I haven't been getting much bench time in, but I got a few things done (or mostly done).  Passenger side door panel is finished and installed.  The driver's side is getting touchups and not having it installed makes for a better pic.  Just don't zoom in too far - these high res. pics make details not visible to the naked eye look horrible.  The dash is almost finished.  I just have to figure out how I'm going to do a trim ring around the clock.  The gauges are from Best Model Car Parts (I have the clock face too).

20170910_165948.thumb.jpg.dab0143a7082f2

Once the interior is all assembled I can do a quick mock up to check the front ride height (choice of front axel spindles in the kit - can't remember which I used previously as I pulled the others out of the parts box and got them mixed up) and then get the chassis all buttoned up.

Mark.

Sorry it's been so long, I haven't been getting much bench time in, but I got a few things done (or mostly done).  Passenger side door panel is finished and installed.  The driver's side is getting touchups and not having it installed makes for a better pic.  Just don't zoom in too far - these high res. pics make details not visible to the naked eye look horrible.  The dash is almost finished.  I just have to figure out how I'm going to do a trim ring around the clock.  The gauges are from Best Model Car Parts (I have the clock face too).

Once the interior is all assembled I can do a quick mock up to check the front ride height (choice of front axel spindles in the kit - can't remember which I used previously as I pulled the others out of the parts box and got them mixed up) and then get the chassis all buttoned up.

Mark.

https://www.scalemotorsport.com/wizard-of-o-s-no-3.html

^^ something like this might work if the sheet has a ring of the correct size

• 1 month later...

My model building got sidelined for a bit as some events in my life left me unable to focus on any of my builds.  But I think things may be returning to normal and have I felt motivated to put in a bit of bench time.  Progress is slow, but any progress is good progress.

I managed to finish up the interior this week and am really happy with the end results.  All of the brightwork in the interior is done with a Molotow pen.  Here are a few pics...

20171111_004502.thumb.jpg.a90f5ea133c8c2

20171111_004532.thumb.jpg.0f5e3ff3dc2111

20171111_004634.thumb.jpg.91e83f66725500

Next step will be figuring out the ride height in the front and getting the chassis into a roller.

Thanks for looking.

Mark.

Nice interior, especially that dash.. Cant wait to see more B)

Thank you.  I checked out your facebook page - that is a beautiful collection of cars you have.  I really liked the black/red '67 Chevelle SS - not sure what it is about '67 Chevelles, but they really speak to me.

Mark.

Just noticed your location. Been to Kitimat many times- beautiful place.

Greg, I've lived up here now for the past 6 years and I really like it up here - really beautiful, peaceful, and quiet.  A slower pace of life for sure.  You come up here to the end of the road to go fishing?

Thank you.  I checked out your facebook page - that is a beautiful collection of cars you have.  I really liked the black/red '67 Chevelle SS - not sure what it is about '67 Chevelles, but they really speak to me.

Mark.

Hwy thanks, i like 67 Chevelles too.. I did build that Revell Chevelle in red/black, in side by side with AMT Chevelle in black with blue stripes.. I liked both kits, some details were better in AMT and vice versa.. 67 Chevelle based El Camino would be great kit tought... 

Keep on good work Mark.. :)

Greg, I've lived up here now for the past 6 years and I really like it up here - really beautiful, peaceful, and quiet.  A slower pace of life for sure.  You come up here to the end of the road to go fishing?

Haven't fished up there- saving that for retirement. I knew a few people from there growing up, have family there now (wife's side). 

I suspect you've popped in to Creative Zone in Terrace. I was pleasantly surprised my first visit in.