Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rex White's 60 Impala

59 Impala

Google "59 chevy seats" or "dash" or "gauges" or whatever part you are working on.  Usually there will be pics of the surrounding parts and areas as well.  These are great kits.  Enjoy the build.

Edit: just realized you are working on a race car - a little different to Google, but google other drivers of the era and see if you can find their cars - a lot of similarities that only an expert could spot and who;s to say it wasn't that way at some point?

Edited by randyc

I built a model of Rex's '62 Chevrolet years ago when AMT first offered the '62 Bel Air. The information at that time showed the interior was lightly modified with removal of the door panels being replaced with smooth metal and the factory gauges replaced with a flat panel to mount the gauges. Roll Bar of course and a single bucket type seat. In the '60 era I think they may of still been using the factory bench with the passenger seat back removed, some what like the Revell '57 Ford kit. They fenders were opened up and "pushed" out a little. I did this by heating the wheel opening over a 100 watt light bulb and massaged the fenders with my fingers. Gloves would be a smart addition to protect your fingers.  With the open trunk on this kit it will be easier to detail that area also.     

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys for the information.  I have a small update on this.  I've made a copy of the grill in fingernail resin and I'm working on that to modify it instead of using the kit grill and messing it up.  LOL.  Here are some pics of what I did today.  Dan

IMG_4371.JPG

IMG_4372.JPG

IMG_4373.JPG

Thanks Brian.  There's still a lot of work to be done.  I'm letting the top, hood and trunk dry a few days before I mask it off and spray the Gold.  I wish that Revell made these cars with a 4 speed and no power steering instead of the automatic that comes in the kit of this car and the 59.  Also, they should have changed the spare tire well because the 60 didn't have one.  They used the chassis from the 59.  But, I did change that for this car.  Dan

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A small update on this car.  I finally got the paint on and it's a;most ready for the decals and wheels.  It took a lot of work to get the chassis to fit under the car like the 59.  I'll be installing the decals perty soon now.  Thanks fer lookin.  Dan

IMG_4543.JPG

IMG_4542.JPG

IMG_4541.JPG

Thanks Niko for the kind words.  I'm almost ready to put the decals on.  I also built Jim Reeds 59 Impala awhile back and it turned out perty good I think.  He won the Darlington 500 in 59 with it.  I also like the x frame Chevy's.  I had a 59 Impala 2dr coupe back in 1966 before I got drafted.  I sure wish that I still had that car.  My avatar pic is a model that I built of my 1:1 car.  Dan

That's cool! We have a '60 Impala 2D HT in our family. My dad bought it in the late '80s and just a few years ago I welded new quarter panels on it. Very fun car to cruise around with, under the hood is almost stock 283+PG. It's not fast, but it always takes you where you're going.B)Here it is in 2015.

Sorry for the little offtopic, anyway, you can never see too many X-Frame cars!

• 1 month later...

I finally got-er-done today.  It's not perfect but it's Ok for me.  I worked and worked on the chassis and interior to try and get the chassis to fit where it's supposed to but after installing everything , it still sticks out on the bottom.  I just gave up of trying to fix that.  Thanks fer lookin.  Dan

IMG_4660.JPG

IMG_4661.JPG

IMG_4662.JPG

IMG_4663.JPG

IMG_4664.JPG

IMG_4665.JPG

Thanks John, I know the problem is with Revellogram.  I thought I had it fixed by removing a lot of plastic from the body, chassis and interior.  Plus, I removed some from the glass also, but when I put this thing together, it showed it's ugly head again.  Frustration set in.  Oh well, that's the way the old plastic crumbles kinda thing I guess.  All ya can do is laugh about it or cry, which ever ya want to do I guess.  LOL.  I also had to move the left front wheel assembly a tad forward to get it to set in the middle of the fender well on this kit and my 59's that i have.  Bummer.

Dan