Model Cars Magazine Forum

Might there be room for a middle aged builder?

Khils

Hello all!

I'm Kevin.        I have been building, collecting since I was 8. I live 60 + miles from the closest hobby shop in N. Central Iowa.

Lost nearly all my builds & some of collection in '79 to a tornado. Been gradually hoarding kits w/ the " if you think you'll build it...buy it" attitude. 

Spent last twenty + years doing replica builds for other people, decided when my hobby turns into a job...I quite!!

Stockcars, Sprints, Muscle cars.... Time for my own builds.....Got a TON of ideas, subject matter and one heck of a "builders block"

No clubs nearby...Googled model forums....there you guys are!   In need of a fire lit under my.........well, hope you all will allow another in.

Kevin I know exactly what you mean building "my favorite car" for other people.  I am 67 and started modelling again 6 years ago after many (probably 50) years and love every moment.  The model car world has definitely changed in both number of manufacturers and quality of the fit.  Much better than years ago, or it was probably me being sloppy as a kid!  I live in a small CT shore town of 4,000.  There are 3 hobby shops close by but I get most of my models on line because of the variety.  I also stash models away as I am sure everyone does, but I will build them.  My wife thinks I need an intervention!!!.  I dont have nice work space in my house so I rent a beautiful studio in an old barn close to my home.  It also serves as my get away place.  Enjoy the best hobby in the world.   If anyone reading this is from CT and may like to start an informal club along the shoreline, I have the perfect spot.   mark

• 5 weeks later...

Yeah, Iowa sucks for modelers. I'm stuck in SE Iowa. No clubs & the nearest hobby shop, 35 miles from here, sucks. Fortunately there is Hobby Lobby in the same town as the hobby shop. The nearest decent hobby shop is 2 hrs away in Des Moines.

So welcome aboard! The best place to be if you like building model cars!

Edited by #1 model citizen