Model Cars Magazine Forum

stretched cando peterbilt rotator slider

finally at the bench...plan is a 6 axle sliding rotator using the can do kit.  the kit has extra frame rails so stretching frame was not to bad.  got the bed sides stretched and sliding mechanism done and working. last pic shows where im going graphically IF I CAN MANAGE TO PRINT USABLE DECALS.  fenders, rear wheel flares and boom will be red...black frame...white cab, hood and bed...rear lift and outriggers will be black..not sure about interior-I don't want to just flat black it-maybe red and white with black seats?  comments about colors especially interior are welcome.   due to a stroke 3 yrs ago my abilities have declined so its far from perfect but is mostly straight and as close to square as I can get.

111_1904[1].JPG

111_1905[1].JPG

111_1906[1].JPG

peterb.jpg

Nice start and awesome work on stretching the bed and frame. That sliding rotator should be cool when done. Are you still planning on a second steer axle? 

You might want to check with Joseph at Fireball Modelworks for help with the decals. He used to produce some but I think he may have stopped doing them, it's worth an email.

finally the bed is ready for paint...the chrome decking is just laying there

after more googling I decided to mount the second steering axle on bags

paint tomorrow on bed, engine parts and all the stuff hanging off the rear of bed

hopefully in a few days ill have her up on wheels so i can adjust how warped the frame is sure to be...lol

111_1910[1].JPG

111_1911[1].JPG

Coming along nicely, having some paint on it means it is getting closer to being finished!

still many, many hours to go...I think the kit has 600 + parts and ive added about 80...lot of seams to fill n sand n putty n sand...still, so far ive completed every kit that has gotten ant paint on it at all except for one, so its a good sign.

now that im well into this kit-some general comments...before obtaining the kit I tried to find as much about it as possible as ive only built a few big rigs.  several guys on youtube bashed this kit pretty bad so I was a little concerned going in.  not really much flash and most parts go together well.  maybe they wanted to have a huge parts count-seems to me some parts could have been molded together. I am having fitment issues with the forward outrigger cabinet doors but as I plan to display the outriggers out its not a huge thing.  care must be taken to glue stuff at right angles  or there will be big problems. I do have one complaint however-all of the components for outriggers, boom and rear lift will not slide in or out without lots of sanding.  as far as the accuracy of the kit I cant comment on as I don't have the knowledge of semis.  all in all, a fun, challenging kit to build.  now, waiting for paint to dry and then the tedious touching up of the many chrome parts...the Molotov chrome pen is gonna get a workout.  in days ahead ill post a few more in progress pics but not many as the custom parts are done, but will post in under glass...my goal is by Halloween...lol

slow but steady progress...sleeper mostly assembled, boom mostly assembled and THE PILE OF PARTS THAT ARE PAINTED AND READY FOR ASSEMBLY IS GROWING.  ALSO PRINTED OUT TEST OF DECALS...got the size right-just remains to see how they turn out when I print them on decal paper.  have had 3 good temp days for painting so lots of parts painted and drying.  one thing that's weird about this process is that IVE DISCOVERED PATIENCE-something ive never had.  just for fun heres a cost breakdown:

kit  100 2nd peterbilt kit for wheels, tires and steering axle  18 so 118

6 tubes of superglue so far  12  will use at least 5 more so 22

will use 4 complete cans of paint and 2 partial cans  16

1 roll of masking tape 2

partial bottle testors liquid cement  3

styrene sheet, tube and angle  8

aluminum tubing  3

craft beads .25

total 166.25

various sanding sticks. files, sandpaper, drill bits, sanding pads, dremel and attachments, machinists block, decal paper,printer ink, various pliers, and clamps... hard to put a price on these items as of course you use them many times

time  so far about 75 hours with estimated 25 to 30 to go (bout 30 hrs working on decal design)  at least 15 hrs researching google images  so total of 145 to 150

level of annoyance expressed by fiancé at me not spending every second with her  1 on a scale of 1 to 10  shes a keeper(my exwifes level of annoyance was a 10+)

my sons girlfriend upon seeing my models for the first time asking him to build a kit of her Camaro(I just happened to have the kit)  priceless

fun and satisfaction  priceless

111_1914[1].JPG

111_1915[1].JPG