Model Cars Magazine Forum

Improving the Greenlight Bluesmobile

CapSat 6

• 2 weeks later...

Great modification, that really made the model a lot better. Now, if only we could have the 74 Monaco in 1:25 plastic kit form:wub:

Thank you! And I agree- I would have liked to have seen a plastic kit, even a promo- style snap kit. As long as the body proportions are right, I would prefer a plastic kit. If engineered right, it could be offered as a '76 Royal Monaco (Illinois State Police from the Blues Brothers, also, many other agencies used Royals in the mid 70's), and / or a 70's Gran Fury (also used by many State, city, and county agencies back then). 

Thank you! And I agree- I would have liked to have seen a plastic kit, even a promo- style snap kit. As long as the body proportions are right, I would prefer a plastic kit. If engineered right, it could be offered as a '76 Royal Monaco (Illinois State Police from the Blues Brothers, also, many other agencies used Royals in the mid 70's), and / or a 70's Gran Fury (also used by many State, city, and county agencies back then). 

I'm wondering if they were considering a styrene kit. The biggest clue that makes it plausible was the decal sheet for the latest version of the AMT 1970 Ford Interceptor Police Car. It features agencies and designs wrong for a 1970 Ford, but perfect for a 1974 Dodge Monaco (the NYSP and CHP plates even say 1974 or 74 on them.)

• 9 months later...

I realize that I am late to the discussion- but I just got my Greenlight Bluesmobile diecast today.

There's quite a bit that can be done to make it more realistic... but the thing that jumped out at me immediately were the WAY undersized license plates. This will not do I said to myself. So I found a company that sells 1:1 reproductions of the license plates used on the Bluesmobile and captured a high res pic from their website.

Screen Shot 2018-06-15 at 2.40.06 PM.png

I pasted the photo into a document, resized it to .25" H by .50" L and printed it out on my Canon color laser printer on heavy stock light gray paper (photo paper might be better but I wanted to go for a weathered look). I carefully cut out the images with a sharp scissor, being sure to round off the corners. I attached them to the scale Bluesmobile's bumpers (the rear plate attached with a slight off center look- as seen in the "I Hate Illinois Nazis" scene) with clear contact cement and here is the result:

IMG_0248.jpg

IMG_0249.jpg

I think that looks better and I hope that you do too.

Next mods:

- Detail the backup lights (very obvious in several scenes).

- Handles in the interior for the spotlight.

- Possible weathering and 'junk' in the interior such as sunglasses, pack of cigarettes, 8-track player with "The Best of Sam and Dave" tape, etc. (if I can get to it)

- Interior rear view mirror (again; obvious in some scenes)

- Replacing the rear window. Yes I know at one point in the movie the car has the rear window shot out- just my preference.

- Rust near the passenger side front door handle.

Edited by MG Brown

On 6/15/2018 at 3:44 PM, 57peppershaker said:

The car is too clean out the box. Im planning on weathering mine too along with painting the interior as its too bright

I just took out the interior (carefully) and removed the SCMODS unit on the transmission tunnel (I'm reasonably sure the Bluesmobile was not so equipped).

I then sprayed Tamiya 'Smoke" to tone things down. We'll see how it looks after drying overnight.

Edited by MG Brown