Model Cars Magazine Forum

I build every kit , and collect empty boxes. I  heard one thousand purists sigh when i peeled the plastic off my sealed coma ray Corvette. I paid 300 for it , I built it. That's what it's for, unless you can't build models ,then you're a collector .

I have one kit thats off limits to glue or paint. A sealed Barry Setzer Vega funnycar. ( Ive got 3 or 4 builders so Im good with it ). Only because it's one of the few kits I remember having back when new.

Otherwise every kit I have is a planned build.  My 59 Edsel was a  near mint unbuilt kit when i started.

I have a mint untouched 62 Buick conv and a mint untouched 1960 Edsel conv. I bought them both  to build

right-front.jpg

right-front.jpg

20160928_190326.jpg

Edited by gtx6970

I plan to build everything, inlcuding the old and the rare. I'd rather see a completed kit on the shelf than a box of plastic in the garage.

And to further aggravate the collectors, I don't save boxes. I cut an end panel off and file it away with the instructions. 

I built it. That's what it's for, unless you can't build models ,then you're a collector .

Ain't that the truth! :D

I've always thought that, but I guess I never had the courage to say it.

I spent around $300.00 for a MIB Johan '61 Plymouth Fury.

So nice that I didn't even have to paint it.

But I built it, & I'm much more proud seeing it sitting on the display shelf than if it was sitting in a box in pieces filed away in some dark room!

Steve

DSCN2837

Ain't that the truth! :D

I've always thought that, but I guess I never had the courage to say it.

I spent around $300.00 for a MIB Johan '61 Plymouth Fury.

So nice that I didn't even have to paint it.

But I built it, & I'm much more proud seeing it sitting on the display shelf than if it was sitting in a box in pieces filed away in some dark room!

Steve

DSCN2837

always worth it. They look so good built !!! 

I build every kit , and collect empty boxes. I  heard one thousand purists sigh when i peeled the plastic off my sealed coma ray Corvette. I paid 300 for it , I built it. That's what it's for, unless you can't build models ,then you're a collector .

• 2 weeks later...

I intend to build most of the old kits that I have acquired. Some will wait until my skill level reaches that of Steve Guthmiller. I don't want to make a $200 glue bomb.

Michael's comment pretty well sums it up for me, too. With some of these kits being extremely rare and/or high priced, it's not the kind you want to build when you're still honing your airbrushing skills, for example. ? I have plans to build just about every kit that I buy....

Build them!

Here is a situation recently brought to my attention by my wife...." if you up & die....I don't know anything about them (my collection)

....don't want to hassle with any of it" .....it will end up on a garage sale table for 50 cents.

Sometimes..... that woman can"REALLY" make me cringe!!

Kevin, going off on a tangent on this thread, I'd like to suggest to you and others who may have a significant collection, you should consider making plans for the disposition of your collection in the event that you don't live long enough to enjoy building them all (as well as your built-up units). The situation that has recently befallen the family of our departed Forum friend, Harry P., should serve as a lesson for all of us. As for me, I went through the process about 4 years ago of rounding up and cataloging my collection of kits, and making provisions for storing them. I also educated my wife on their value, and who she can trust to help sell them If she needs $$$ after I'm gone. Otherwise, I've instructed her to hang on to them to pass on to my grandsons when they reach a certain age so that they can enjoy them. In some respects, it's no different than someone having a coin collection, stamp collection, gun collection, etc etc. You just need to make your family aware that your models can hold *significant* value, and shouldn't be relegated to garage sale status. Of course, your wife may threaten to bump you off and sell them now (like my wife).?

Kevin, going off on a tangent on this thread, I'd like to suggest to you and others who may have a significant collection, you should consider making plans for the disposition of your collection in the event that you don't live long enough to enjoy building them all (as well as your built-up units). The situation that has recently befallen the family of our departed Forum friend, Harry P., should serve as a lesson for all of us. As for me, I went through the process about 4 years ago of rounding up and cataloging my collection of kits, and making provisions for storing them. I also educated my wife on their value, and who she can trust to help sell them If she needs $$$ after I'm gone. Otherwise, I've instructed her to hang on to them to pass on to my grandsons when they reach a certain age so that they can enjoy them. In some respects, it's no different than someone having a coin collection, stamp collection, gun collection, etc etc. You just need to make your family aware that your models can hold *significant* value, and shouldn't be relegated to garage sale status. Of course, your wife may threaten to bump you off and sell them now (like my wife).?

Agreed.

I believe that my wife knows that some of my kits & builds could be worth some money.

She knows how much I've paid for "some of them"! :D

Steve