Model Cars Magazine Forum

Italieri Clasic Western Star

Can anyone tell me what year the Italieri Classic Western Star Conventional is supposed to represent? Looks like a about a 1994 to me.  The engine in the kit looks like a Cummins NTC 350, which I would think is a little dated for the year the truck looks like it is representing.

Edited by norseman_652002

I wish Italeri would do a better job when they do a new truck kit instead of taking the shortcuts they do almost evey time they release something new.
I'm not an Italeri hater as I bought and built several of them back in the late 80's and 90's, but if I build a truck kit I want to do it with the for the model year correct engine, trans and chassis, and Italeri hasn't offered that in a long time as they still use many outdated parts in their modern kits, that's one reason I don't buy many Italeri kits nowadays.
The latest Italeri kit I bought was the Volvo VN 780...and that truck doesn't even have an engine in it.

Thank you, that helps. That makes the engine choice a little more understandable. I'll tailor my build according to that time frame.  

ThIt's actually a little older than 1994, more like a late 1980's (86-89). The engine is an NTC 400 which was originally used in the FLC Freightliner. It's also not a very accurate kit, which I'm sure the Italeri haters on this forum will be quick to point out, so I'll just throw it out there first. I personally am NOT an Italeri hater, rather more of an Italeri supporter and die hard fan. The WS shares much of the same parts as the FLC, and that takes away from the kits individuality. However, with some kit bashing and scratch building you can get a fairly accurate replica.

88-vi.jpg

It's actually a little older than 1994, more like a late 1980's (86-89). The engine is an NTC 400 which was originally used in the FLC Freightliner. It's also not a very accurate kit, which I'm sure the Italeri haters on this forum will be quick to point out, so I'll just throw it out there first. I personally am NOT an Italeri hater, rather more of an Italeri supporter and die hard fan. The WS shares much of the same parts as the FLC, and that takes away from the kits individuality. However, with some kit bashing and scratch building you can get a fairly accurate replica.

88-vi.jpg

It's actually a little older than 1994, more like a late 1980's (86-89). The engine is an NTC 400 which was originally used in the FLC Freightliner. It's also not a very accurate kit, which I'm sure the Italeri haters on this forum will be quick to point out, so I'll just throw it out there first. I personally am NOT an Italeri hater, rather more of an Italeri supporter and die hard fan. The WS shares much of the same parts as the FLC, and that takes away from the kits individuality. However, with some kit bashing and scratch building you can get a fairly accurate replica.

88-vi.jpg

Actually it could be as new as 99. That style was built as late as 1999 (maybe later) and was renamed the heritage series in 96 when the costellation style was released. As far as the big cam Cummins goes like everybody said Italeri just used the FLC kit with the WS cab. But that style of WS could very well have had that engine. Not to mention a glider kit could be powered by anything. Ws trucks like Petes and KWs didn't change styles for years at a time.

Edited by lapazleo
forgot word

Actually it could be as new as 99. That style was built as late as 1999 (maybe later) and was renamed the heritage series in 96 when the costellation style was released. As far as the big cam Cummins goes like everybody said Italeri just used the FLC kit with the WS cab. But that style of WS could very well have had that engine. Not to mention a glider kit could be powered by anything. Ws trucks like Petes and KWs didn't change styles for years at a time.

The later versions of the Heritage series lacked the rib on top of the fenders, which ran from the headlight back toward the center of the wheel opening and stopped at the turn signal. The Italeri version has this rib- Exactly what year WS stopped this I don't know for certain. The top 2 pictures are a 1987, the bottom 2 are mid 90's (94-96).

1-vi.jpg

2-vi.jpg

49641-vi.jpg

49642-vi.jpg

Edited by Modeltruckbuilder

I wish Italeri would do a better job when they do a new truck kit instead of taking the shortcuts they do almost evey time they release something new.
I'm not an Italeri hater as I bought and built several of them back in the late 80's and 90's, but if I build a truck kit I want to do it with the for the model year correct engine, trans and chassis, and Italeri hasn't offered that in a long time as they still use many outdated parts in their modern kits, that's one reason I don't buy many Italeri kits nowadays.
The latest Italeri kit I bought was the Volvo VN 780...and that truck doesn't even have an engine in it.

Its the same with their Volvo FH16 XL (#3867)
Wrong engine, oilpan and valvecover gives it away as a mix of a D9 and D12 that never existed.. (9 and 12 liter)
An FH 16 uses a D16 engine (16 liter)
The exhaust manifold is also wrong

Atleast the VN has the correct oilpan if it is supposed to have a Volvo engine in it.

The Volvo F12, Scania 142 and many other European truck kits had fairly correct engines when they first came out but Italeri kept the same engines with slight modifications long after that and they are not right, I'm not sure about the American trucks but it could be the same there.
The first Italeri kits I noticed it on was when the Volvo F16 and Scania 143 kits came out back in the late 80's where they didn't bother to change the engines to the right secifications.
The F16 should have had the then new D16A wich came 1987 but still had the old TD120 and same chassis as the F12 kit, and the Scania 143 should have had the DSC14 Intercooled engine as that version came 1982 but the old DS14 was still between the frame rails and the chassis was exactly the same as in the 142 kit.
Volvo changed engine models 1987 to D12A and D16A, the D16C wich looks different from the A and B came around 2002-03 and Scania stopped making the 14 litre V8 with the distinctive V-shaped valve covers in 2001 and got the new DC16 after that, but as far as I know there are no correct engines of that type on the market.

Edited by Force