Model Cars Magazine Forum

20 something Ford Pick up started. Done

Johnt671

I started this kit while I wait to do a couple of touch ups on my 37 Chevy gasser, It will be mostly an out of the box build, but I'm hoping to use the six cylinder motor from the 37 Chevy. So far the fit looks good. I'm also using the front tires from an AMT gasser wheel and tire pack. I also used the wheels from that pack on the 37 Chevy. The color will be purple-licious Testors paint. Anyone know the year of this pick up?

20170807_142036[1].jpg

20170807_184016[1].jpg

Edited by Johnt671

It's about a 1923. But it's REALLY CRUDE and toy-like. The cowl in particular should have a concave curve from the firewall to the windshield. But you can have plenty of fun with it.

Putting in the 6-in-a-row is a cool idea. Ford flat head V8 fans back in the day used to say "6-in-a-row don't go." But the GM 6 was larger displacement than the flat head V8. And it was pushrod so the intake and exhaust ports flowed a whole lot better that the flat head.

I suggest starting by cutting off the strange panels alongside the engine. Maybe raise the front spring perch on the frame to lower the front. Add a rear kickup to the back of the frame with a transverse spring and make the pickup bed more shallow, but with the top at the same height.

But those are my thoughts about it.

Your model. Have fun with it.

It's about a 1923. But it's REALLY CRUDE and toy-like. The cowl in particular should have a concave curve from the firewall to the windshield. But you can have plenty of fun with it.

Putting in the 6-in-a-row is a cool idea. Ford flat head V8 fans back in the day used to say "6-in-a-row don't go." But the GM 6 was larger displacement than the flat head V8. And it was pushrod so the intake and exhaust ports flowed a whole lot better that the flat head.

I suggest starting by cutting off the strange panels alongside the engine. Maybe raise the front spring perch on the frame to lower the front. Add a rear kickup to the back of the frame with a transverse spring and make the pickup bed more shallow, but with the top at the same height.

But those are my thoughts about it.

Your model. Have fun with it.

Some great ideas. I cut the body panels off and found an easy way to drop the front. Is the black body the type you're talking about? Here's a couple of new pictures.

The rear is beyond my skills, .

Interesting back story about the ageless argument about motors that started almost as soon as cars were invented. Thanks for your post.

20170809_185548[1].jpg

20170809_192555[1].jpg

The bed is done. To spice it up a little I cut a wood floor and painted it to match the interior, then I made a tarp cover out of wood and glued a piece of throw away  hand towel to give it a canvas look and painted it like the floor.

The motor is ready to go in. I started wiring the plugs but it wasn't wasn't working out.

20170818_124605[1].jpg

20170817_182939-2[1].jpg

20170818_124500[1].jpg

I notice you have a gas fill tube and cap on the driver's side of the bed.Be sure to follow through by continuing the fill tube inside the bed and route it to sort sort of fuel tank.Just a couple suggestions for an old hot rod builder.

Thanks for the tip. You thought the same thing as me on the gas filler when I started doing this kit. I thought the open end was the rear of the bed and the solid end was the front, but it does mount on the left side. I was looking for a Moon tank for the bed by the fill tube, but I only had half of one in my junk parts. I may take one out of the 57 Ford wagon kit I have and look around for another one.

Looks really cool I've always wanted to build something with a straight six.

Thanks. This shot is what I will look like, minus the low windshield. I did the body line in gold to contrast with the purple and goldish interior. I now know that purple and gold make yellow.

20170822_154715[1].jpg

Edited by Johnt671