Model Cars Magazine Forum

I haven’t airbrushed Model Master paint in - like - forever ...  missed that distinctive enamel scent !   The Cooper wears a paint color that is similar to same era Aston Martins.  So I mixed up a color that looks about right fr the paint in the picture - thinned it - and masked the frame.   Went on really smooth. Assuming that I should let this dry several days before I try to remove the masking - no hurry - should I wait a week?  Lots to do in the interim ... 

FD33839B-5EF4-4ED0-AF3A-4869717F4FAD.jpeg

CBBE24E3-3677-4867-9C99-229D8E455EF8.jpeg

49FA0D05-E3BC-4EA9-8A77-488D3F126D47.jpeg

49C33F70-CFBA-4469-80D1-D9DA88F3CD54.jpeg

I won’t have a problem with “line bleed”. But I see your point ...  removing the tape and parafilm will require a lot of handling and I don’t want to mar the surface. Maybe I’ll try tonite - I used some tape with some light “tack” so I could leave it on a while .... At least that’s the plan .... do you think that I could put some Parafilm on the surface after about 12 hours ??

5 hours ago, absmiami said:

I won’t have a problem with “line bleed”. But I see your point ...  removing the tape and parafilm will require a lot of handling and I don’t want to mar the surface. Maybe I’ll try tonite - I used some tape with some light “tack” so I could leave it on a while .... At least that’s the plan .... do you think that I could put some Parafilm on the surface after about 12 hours ??

Hey Andrew...if that's enamel...I would wait a week or so before doing any taping on the paint.  I tape on Lacquer the next day.

The Model Master is acrylic lacquer - so the drying time is faster than old fashioned enamel. By grasping the body with the chassis members at either end I was able to remove the tape without a problem   -  the parafilm came off without damaging anything   But I’ll wait a few days before more handling

A250582E-E818-4E61-A372-3ADB848E96A5.jpeg

67B76DC8-2BD7-492E-ACB7-8CF76BF0EB05.jpeg

EBAF8FBF-76E2-4B12-8BBF-84CD8DC3BEEC.jpeg

Really like this paint.  Just a little over-bleed on one frame tube .  And a small blemish on one panel and a speck of dust on the nose .  Not bad !  This will take very little final prep. No clear coat. A minimum of sanding.  Just one coat - and bang.  Don’t know why. But metallic colors tend to give me a lot less trouble than solids ...

0852D749-3E2E-4D3C-A18F-872FB37983ED.jpeg

111FE46C-4F38-4758-A21B-2764071EBA76.jpeg

D391BC51-2194-4C3B-9934-33423D3FA852.jpeg

5 minutes ago, absmiami said:

Reverend Davis - its time to start a Merit build  ....

Which one ??

????

don't worry about reference material - I got you covered ....

LOL...I haven't been called that in yrs!!! First time I heard the man's Name was back in the 80's. I'm a musician (Drums) and a few friends of mine called me that at a gig. Had NO idea who or what they were talking about. I soon learned though. 

Hmmmm.....a merit build eh? I do have a few of those on my build list but way towards the bottom. I've got a whole boat load of builds ahead of this one for sure. It's a GREAT idea though.

8 minutes ago, absmiami said:

.a merit build eh? I do have a few of those on my build list but way towards the bottom. I've got a whole boat load of builds ahead of this one for sure. It's a GREAT idea though

no worries  -  I'll bug you about this later ...

8 minutes ago, absmiami said:

Never knew the man...but I heard he was an original for sure.....

When I get to the Merit builds I want to do the Maserati and then maybe the Talbot Lago as I have both of them. I'd like to find the connaught but you know..... that's like trying to find GOLD HENS teeth! LOL And the Price for one would put a good dent on any Barret Jackson top notch 1/1 car!!

Maserati would be a great choice. Merit made the  early spec 250F - visibly different than the later 250Fs races by Fangio - the early cars were favorites of the privateers and all had great race histories.  
if you do the Talbot Lago. - get Mike Portero’s Indy Cals / Shapeways upgrades. Which includes an improved engine casting ...

Most of my Merit kit buys were in Swap meets - over thirty years ago - before prices went kablewie - eBay is mostly to blame here ...

dont think I ever spent more than thirty bucks - usually less - the Connaught is a rare bird   -  I got one - they don’t even show up on eBay ....

5 hours ago, absmiami said:

Maserati would be a great choice. Merit made the  early spec 250F - visibly different than the later 250Fs races by Fangio - the early cars were favorites of the privateers and all had great race histories.  
if you do the Talbot Lago. - get Mike Portero’s Indy Cals / Shapeways upgrades. Which includes an improved engine casting ...

Yea...I did pick up Michaels' engine upgrade some time ago. It's in the box with the kit.

Edited by Gary Davis

4 hours ago, absmiami said:

Reverend Davis. Do you have the Merit Maser 250F or the 48 CLT ?  Both kits are curbside but quite good ...

You can call me GARY....just don't call me late to diner....

I have the 48 CLT kit. I was looking to fab an engine to put in that bad boy. Haven't got to the research yet. But, opening it up and putting an engine in there would be fun....

But everybody gets a nickname - it’s a rule or something ...  actually, it’s a 4CLT/48. hard to keep that straight - I’ve got the exceptional Cars series book on Fangio’s car - which has some drawings of the frame and engine.  The engine is a large DOHC 4 with two superchargers up front   -   How’s your stock of Evergreen strip?  ? ?  Bunch of Evergreen plastic strip , a mitre box , Xacto knife, and saw ...  you’ll have an engine before you known it ...