Model Cars Magazine Forum

2 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Dale King. Now there is a blast from the past! His Cooper scratch built is also a sight to behold. I can remember an old car modelling book by Robert Schleicher that featured a scratch built Fiat sports car and a highly detailed Tamiya Porsche by Dale. Is he still building models?

The Schleicher book was a real inspiration for me as well to scratch build models.  Dale's model building pace has slowed unfortunately but he is still an inspiration.

• 2 weeks later...

Your Cooper is fantastic. Wonderful job. I really enjoyed watching it come together. I like the last photo with the Lotus XI. Not many cars are dwarfed by a Lotus XI, but the Cooper looks absolutley tiny. Thanks for sharing your great build.

• 1 month later...
On 3/10/2021 at 2:24 PM, absmiami said:

So DustyMojave posted the following on this thread way back in Aug 2017 :  

"Another model builder I know, Dale King, grew up near Harry's store and as a young man built a very detailed larger scale model of Harry's Cooper, going to Harry's house to take measurements and pictures. Awesome model."

Well I can now complete the circle - as I have Dale king's permission to post pix of his amazing 12th scale Cooper - and yes it is a true - old school - scratch-build ...

- he sort of instigated my fool's errand in 24th scale ...

bare frt w.jpg

bare side w.jpg

Coop frt w.jpg

That Cooper of Dale's is an awesome piece of scratch building. I met Dale many years ago. Then later learned that he had made that Cooper from hanging out at Harry Morrow's book shop Autobooks and getting to know him closely and getting 1st hand access to the Cooper in Harry's garage. Still in business, although Harry was an elderly man when I bought my 1st model kit from him in 1960, but still racing his Cooper often. I used to see #5 on the track at Willow Springs and Riverside and Pomona quite often as I was growing up involved in SCCA sports car racing. Autobooks is a place now popular with folks like Jay Leno. Some time after I met Dale, I learned that he was longtime best friends with my wife's cousin Henry Gonzalez. When I started dating my wife in 1981, Henry was working at Brick Price Movie Miniatures, a place I visited then to talk to Brick about using my skills at metal spraying and mold making to build some C130 airplane miniatures to be crashed and come apart realistically for a movie project. That movie never happened. But I got a personal tour of some of Brick's beautiful scratch built models in various scales, although he told me that when he built for something he wanted to build, he preferred 1/14 scale, which is a scale I've heard of some other master builders using.

• 5 months later...

well  -    if one vintage motorcycle engine in your trials car  isnt enough 

-  how about two ??

I've been smitten by The Maggot

these wonderful pix were taken by Stefan Marjoram, a very talented English photographer and sketch artist ...

his work can be found on Flickr, Instagram, or his very own website ...

51367819419_cde3e2c5bb_h.jpg

51367302283_fb17779cb7_h.jpg

10 hours ago, absmiami said:

well  -    if one vintage motorcycle engine in your trials car  isnt enough 

-  how about two ??

I've been smitten by The Maggot

these wonderful pix were taken by Stefan Marjoram, a very talented English photographer and sketch artist ...

his work can be found on Flickr, Instagram, or his very own website ...

Now, that is frigging cool!

Thought you’d like that - it’s a spare parts special sporting two M.A.G. Motorcycle engines - I think these are over 90 years old - and the bits and pieces are lashed to what’s left of an Austin Seven chassis - with a very brave builder / driver … the Brits have ALL the fun …

On 11/20/2021 at 7:29 AM, absmiami said:

Thought you’d like that - it’s a spare parts special sporting two M.A.G. Motorcycle engines - I think these are over 90 years old - and the bits and pieces are lashed to what’s left of an Austin Seven chassis - with a very brave builder / driver … the Brits have ALL the fun …

The wheels are turning. I have a mold of the Revell Harley engine. While there's no sanction for racing it, who's to say somebody wouldn't have done it, just because? Might be fun!

Isn’t the Revell Harley kit 16th scale - or 12th ?

im stubborn about scale - this will [someday] be 24th sc - and the engines cry out for some machining - I’ve found some drawings that will guide me …

mans don’t forget to check out Margoram’s work - great Stuff …

1 hour ago, absmiami said:

Isn’t the Revell Harley kit 16th scale - or 12th ?

im stubborn about scale - this will [someday] be 24th sc - and the engines cry out for some machining - I’ve found some drawings that will guide me …

mans don’t forget to check out Margoram’s work - great Stuff …

I molded their 1/25 scale engine from the old parts pack. I wish I hadn't started whacking on the Triumph, before I got a chance to mold it.

• 1 month later...

Dale King  -  Rest in Peace

- pix of his amazing 12th scale Cooper are posted on page 12 ...

friends of Dale posted news of his passing on the GPMA blog two days ago ...

He encouraged / inspired many of us and he'll be missed  - no doubt ...

2 hours ago, absmiami said:

Dale King  -  Rest in Peace

- pix of his amazing 12th scale Cooper are posted on page 12 ...

friends of Dale posted news of his passing on the GPMA blog two days ago ...

He encouraged / inspired many of us and he'll be missed  - no doubt ...

Dale was a great mentor and inspiration to many of us.  RIP Dale.