Model Cars Magazine Forum

Great model for a great price.

Geno

Picked this up off of First Gears website for $24 plus shipping. Says it's 1/25 but it matches up really darn close with FM's 1/24 '70. 
I will BMF the trim but I also had to do that on the FM Chevelle. It is also very well detailed. 
This will become a Yenko Chevelle when I'm done with it. I'll get the stripe kit from Keith Marks and the photo-etch set from MCG, 
a little extra detailing and it should be Mint worthy LOL. And they did a way better job than DM did on the body. JMHO though.

DSCN4814 - Copy.JPG

DSCN4815 - Copy.JPG

DSCN4816 - Copy.JPG

DSCN4817 - Copy.JPG

DSCN4822 - Copy.JPG

DSCN4823 - Copy.JPG

DSCN4825 - Copy.JPG

DSCN4826 - Copy.JPG

DSCN4827 - Copy.JPG

DSCN4828 - Copy.JPG

DSCN4830.JPG

Edited by Geno

Based on Chevrolet's published dimensions for the 1969 Chevelle, First Gear's replica is indeed 1/25th scale.  I have several of these models and while excellent in most respects, the car is in *serious* need of a ride-height adjustment.  The stance is fine but it's too high overall.  Corporate logos can be removed from the windows of promo editions by gentle sanding and polishing with Novus or Bare Metal Compound.  Here's two Fathom Green versions, one of them tuned up via a set of Fred Cady side stripes......

DSCN1228AA.JPG

DSCN1227AA.JPG

Edited by Arjay 396

Thanks Roger, I think it still fits in great with the 1/24 models, it's so close most folks would never know LOL. I did switch out the antenna on mine with an insect pin, they make great antennas. I never got any of the DM versions because of the rear side windows. It just turned me off. FM also done a much better job on their '69 Chevelle. I love that Hugger Orange version. Super sweet. I'd love to find one in that color. That's how I aligned mine for my pic was from the rear bumpers. they're almost spot on length wise. I can't wait to get it converted to the Yenko. Again, thanks for the great pics and for the info to remove the tampos. Blessings, Geno.

I was never totally at peace with either DM's or FM's 68/69 Chevelles even though I bought multiples of both (go figure!).  From my vantage it looks like Danbury wins the nod from the front bumper to the A pillar but Franklin's back end carries the day.  Franklin's wheels are also superior to those from Danbury, being fully plated with dark recess painting and better looking depictions of the trim rings.  I have a quartet of the FM wheels (with Polyglas RWL tires) that I hope to someday swap onto my Butternut Yellow '69 DM.  Regardless, I still think the First Gear rendition is superior to both.  I have a NAPA promo version that I one day intend to repaint in LeMans Blue.  I've already stripped off the yellow corporate stripes from the hood and deck lid and added a black vinyl roof.  It'll make a nice companion for my First Gear Z28 in Marina Blue......

DSCN8050AA.JPG

To my eye, the First Gear Chevelle looks much better than the Danbury Mint. DM really screwed up the roof/window silhouette, same as Testor did with that cheap diecast kit they were peddling a decade ago. I ended up Dremeling and filing the window openings to a more accurate shape, at which point I had a (barely) acceptable '68 Chevelle to put on my shelf.

+1!  First Gear picks up the slack where a lot of the "big guns" have totally fumbled the ball.  Their '69 Z28 Camaro, like their Chevelle, is simply superb.  The only egg they've laid so far (that I've found) was their '69 Charger.  That thing was hopelessly hosed.  For the big Dodge B body I settled on Revell's "Bullitt" model.  I wasn't interested in a movie car so I built it as a fully-dressed R/T with red graphics around the back end, Magnum 500 wheels, and tampo'd AMT Polyglas GT's......

DSCN8989AA.JPG

DSCN8983AA.JPG

+1!  First Gear picks up the slack where a lot of the "big guns" have totally fumbled the ball.  Their '69 Z28 Camaro, like their Chevelle, is simply superb.  The only egg they've laid so far (that I've found) was their '69 Charger.  That thing was hopelessly hosed.  For the big Dodge B body I settled on Revell's "Bullitt" model.  I wasn't interested in a movie car so I built it as a fully-dressed R/T with red graphics around the back end, Magnum 500 wheels, and tampo'd AMT Polyglas GT's......

DSCN8989AA.JPG

I built that kit and the only thing I didn't like about it is, the grille appears much too shallow. I meant to order a couple repro MPC grilles from Modelhaus and forgot it on my last order until seconds after I hit SEND. I immediately got back on and the website was closed. Ah shucks oh well.

Meanwhile, you guys are killin' me with that '69 Chevelle. I WANT one of those Fathom Green ones to go with my Fathom Green '69 Camaro! Where do I get one? All I can find is the orange ones on the First Gear site. For net shopping I usually get my diecasts from diecastmodelwholesale, but they're not showing it (and I'm about to order that Supernatural '67 Chevy from them anyway). Any ideas where I could get both of those from the same place? (I hate paying shipping charges.)

The Fathom Green Chevelle can often be found on Ebay -- in fact all of them turn up there eventually.  I've got a second unmolested example that is now surplus to my needs.  PM me if there's any interest.

As I re-examine my Revell Charger I think you may be right about the grill being a bit shallow.  None the less it "rides" well with the rest of my 1/25th scale collection......

DSCN9325AA.JPG

DSCN1386AA.JPG

Edited by Arjay 396

Thanks, Geno!

I've got two of the First Gear Fairlanes thus far -- one in Signal Flare Red (a near dead-nuts stand-in for Calypso Coral) and the other in Candy Apple Red (the CAR edition was a Parts Plus promo).  The model looks good generally but the wheels seem rather anemic.  I swapped them out on the CAR car with more appropriate looking rims and repainted the interior in saddle tan.  I do wish that First Gear had chosen to release the replica as a GTA (with the chrome hood inserts) but hey, beggars can't be choosers.  Anyway, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

DSCN1203AA.JPG

DSCN1200AA.JPG

DSCN1201AA.JPG

DSCN1204AA.JPG

Mmmm, some sexy beasts, you have me sold LOL, time to hit Ebay unless you know where I can find me a Candy Apple Red or Orange version LOL. Thanks Roger, I appreciate your input and the great pics of your collection, The Chevelle is my 1st, First Gear model, looks like I'll be nabbing some more.:D

Edited by Geno

The CAR versions are rare as hen's teeth -- I've only seen two since the Fairlane's initial release a couple of years ago, both of them Parts Plus promos.  But the Signal Flare Red and Black editions are pretty prolific, as is a NAPA promo in their corporate colors.  The black edition features a maroon interior.  If First Gear ever re-pops this model I hope they send it out wearing Wimbleton White (with the maroon innards).  BTW if you haven't already, check out FG's '66 GTO in Barrier Blue.  I just picked one up about a week ago, a real nice model!

BTW if you haven't already, check out FG's '66 GTO in Barrier Blue.  I just picked one up about a week ago, a real nice model!

I have a Classic Metalworks '66 GTO in blue that came in kit form, and I'm quite happy with it. I have two of their '69 Camaros, too.

The CMW GTO is a nice model but beware:  despite the markings on the box, it (like their '66 Chevelles and their various iterations of the '69 Camaro) is most definitely 1/25th scale.  Not a bad thing mind you but it should be noted.  Many of Welly's releases are the same:  advertised as 1/24th but actually 1/25th (or even smaller in the case of their otherwise excellent '65 Impala Super Sport).  I have the CMW GTO in Twilight Turquoise and though it's a nice replica, the First Gear model eclipses it in several areas.  But love the teal color so it's staying in the collection. 

• 1 year later...

Just bumping this one up so I can look at it again.  Thinking I need to look at these closer overhte next few weeks.   The Mint cars are still going pretty high and you guys are telling me these are better.  

1 hour ago, randyc said:

Just bumping this one up so I can look at it again.  Thinking I need to look at these closer overhte next few weeks.   The Mint cars are still going pretty high and you guys are telling me these are better.  

I'm glad you did. I was just about to go looking for it, as I'm getting the itch to track down one of those Fathom Green '69 Chevelles. 

That 69 on the FG website will be on the birthday list for next week.   lol   Don't tell anyone.   69s are hard to find!  Watched a JL yellow version.  Missed out on it.  The FG will be nice even with the scant Marathon markings.   I work for a company that does convenience store renovations and I am working on several Marathon stores now.  So I'll leave the Marathon on it.   Marathon helped buy it after all.  

May see if the ride height can be adjusted though.  

Just won a 68 El Camino - will report on that when it arrives.  $23.50 total, shipping and all.   Box damaged but I don't keep them in boxes usually.  I've sold enough NASCAR builtups that I have about 25 display cases freed up now.   Or may sell it on.  I neve did finish my plastic Elkys.  Which also means I should have wheels somewhere if I want to swap them out....  hmmmm.   

Edited by randyc

3 hours ago, randyc said:

That 69 on the FG website will be on the birthday list for next week.   lol   Don't tell anyone.   69s are hard to find!  Watched a JL yellow version.  Missed out on it.  The FG will be nice even with the scant Marathon markings.   I work for a company that does convenience store renovations and I am working on several Marathon stores now.  So I'll leave the Marathon on it.   Marathon helped buy it after all.  

May see if the ride height can be adjusted though.  

I spent some time this morning trying to track down a Fathom Green '69 Chevelle. No joy. Can't really see buying the red one, as I already have two Monaco Orange '69 Chevelles built from AMT kits, one with vinyl top, one without.

2 hours ago, randyc said:

Just won a 68 El Camino - will report on that when it arrives.  $23.50 total, shipping and all.   Box damaged but I don't keep them in boxes usually.  I've sold enough NASCAR builtups that I have about 25 display cases freed up now.   Or may sell it on.  I neve did finish my plastic Elkys.  Which also means I should have wheels somewhere if I want to swap them out....  hmmmm.   

I saw those while I was searching. If I didn't already own a Franklin or Danbury Mint (I forget which) '68 Elky (bought used and CHEAP a couple years ago), I'd have pulled the trigger on one of those. 

Edited by Snake45

No not much joy on 69 chevelles for reasonable pricing - not much at any level.  An Elky would have to be cheap - just not into them but thought this may fill my 68 desire better than the DM version.  Once you look at it closely and SEE the weird roof, you can't unsee it.