Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hobbylinc.com

Bumping!  I posted the other day about this latest sale.  If you subscribe to their e-mail list, you'll get advance notice about these sales.  They usually have 2 clearance sales at the same time - 1 for model kits, the other for paint and tools.  They seem to carry almost all of the Alclad paints. 

My favorite online vendors in the U.S. are Freetime Hobbies in GA, HobbyLinc, and MegaHobby.  Between those 3 I can usually find anything I'm looking for.  And all 3 ship very fast. That comes in handy when I'm running short on something like Tamiya paint.  Which nobody sells in this part of SC. 

Bumping!  I posted the other day about this latest sale.  If you subscribe to their e-mail list, you'll get advance notice about these sales.  They usually have 2 clearance sales at the same time - 1 for model kits, the other for paint and tools.  They seem to carry almost all of the Alclad paints. 

My favorite online vendors in the U.S. are Freetime Hobbies in GA, HobbyLinc, and MegaHobby.  Between those 3 I can usually find anything I'm looking for.  And all 3 ship very fast. That comes in handy when I'm running short on something like Tamiya paint.  Which nobody sells in this part of SC. 

model roundup atlanta . I'm in s.c. too

How long do these sales usually last?

I think the emails usually say "...on sale this week."  But it's really hard to tell.  One thing I've noticed about HobbyLinc - prices on some kits will change pretty quickly from "on sale" to "not on sale."  And others seem to stay at the sale price forever.  I've thought about buying kits several times, then the price would go up.  So the best advice is probably: if you see something you want at a really good price, buy it then and don't wait.

..and this is why your LOCAL hobby stores close :) You keep buying online and then your local store closes because you didn't support him :( 

I do support my local shop whenever I can, but it is a half hour drive and sometimes it is just not convenient to make the drive.

..and this is why your LOCAL hobby stores close :) You keep buying online and then your local store closes because you didn't support him :( 

The local shops already went out of business before I moved here, there is really nothing that I've found within a 30-45 min drive...even in a relatively large metro area.     It's hard to beat ordering online and having it delivered right to the door.    Model Roundup, Tower Hobbies, Hobby Link Japan and eBay have everything I'd want as far as kits...

Edited by Rob Hall

Not an option here, as others have said.  The closest thing to a local hobby shop is a long drive, and they concentrate more on RC cars/airplanes.  They only sell Testors paint, and most of that looks like it has been sitting in the racks for a long time.  They do get new car kits. Usually the same kits as Hobby Lobby, which is just a couple miles down the road from them.  I do stop in to that shop when I'm in the area.  Other than that, the nearest full-service hobby shop is about 50 miles away.

I just re-located back here to SC 2 years ago.  When I lived in Los Angeles, I made the rounds of 3 great local hobby shops almost every week.  I really miss that.   

My semi local shop, one of the best in the business and by far the best locally (Free Time Hobbies) just cut all their regular retail hours aside from one Saturday a month, because 90% of their business is internet sales and retail was distracting them too much. Even though their retail was up 3X, it wasn't nearly enough to offset the mammoth internet sales that require most of their time and attention. Enough that they want most Saturdays to themselves to spend with their families.

This is today's reality. They have great retail prices, same as online. 

No hobby shop anywhere near me has stocked things like stance tires and overfenders. I've never seen any of the Japanese car kits I was interested in, either. And the only aftermarket decals were a few Slixx offerings. If they haven't got it/wont order it, I'll go elsewhere. 

My semi local shop, one of the best in the business and by far the best locally (Free Time Hobbies)  just cut all their regular retail hours aside from one Saturday a month...

Thanks, I was confused about that. The home-page banner says effective 8/7, the warehouse and E-fulfillment Center is now open only 1 Sat. a month. But the "Retail Hours" tab still says "open from 10:00 - 5:00 Monday through Friday and from 10:00 to 4:00 on Saturday."  I was thinking the retail store and warehouse were 2 different things, but I guess not. 

Freetime is a little over 100 miles away from me. But I've been meaning to drive over there for some time.  Looks like now it will be a Saturday, all-day road trip!

ive lived alot of places . great hobby shops in maryland, Missouri, Kansas, ny, Illinois,hawaii. I live in Myrtle beach now. 37 yrs ,one hobby shop, always sucked. Moved upstate SC for a couple years. Great hobby shops. If it's not for tourists, it not here. I think ebay is the greatest way to get every kit you ever wanted, I did. About 600. Won't find them in the hobby shop.  I hate to say it as much as it sucks, but your local hobbyshop is a thing of the past, around here anyway.

Not an option here, as others have said.  The closest thing to a local hobby shop is a long drive, and they concentrate more on RC cars/airplanes.  They only sell Testors paint, and most of that looks like it has been sitting in the racks for a long time.  They do get new car kits. Usually the same kits as Hobby Lobby, which is just a couple miles down the road from them.  I do stop in to that shop when I'm in the area.  Other than that, the nearest full-service hobby shop is about 50 miles away.

I just re-located back here to SC 2 years ago.  When I lived in Los Angeles, I made the rounds of 3 great local hobby shops almost every week.  I really miss that.   

i live in SC too. RC is all they care about because they don't have the talent to build a model kit.

OK, that was good timing!  Received 2 emails from HobbyLinc this morning. The usual pair, one for models on sale, the other for paint on sale. With the note:  "Specials are valid Friday through Thursday, while quantities last."  The emails probably came in last night (Friday).

The emails always have links to selected items on sale, and I saw these 2, for anyone interested:

Italeri Ford Transit Van Mk.II - 1/24 Scale 33% Off  $25.39. This kit was Unobtainium for a LONG time. 

AMT/ERTL 1940 Ford Coupe (Orange) - 38% Off  $17.56.  The big flat "Art Box" release with the extra goodies, molded in Orange.

To find the discounted items quicker: on the home page click the "Models" tab at the top. Then click "Specials" (9 pages this week).  After you're done there, click the "Models" tab again and then click "Clearance" (10 pages this week).  That is 9 and 10 pages of all model-related items, not just cars.

http://www.hobbylinc.com/ 

case in case in point, just went to my local hobby shop, amt 66 nova , $36.00 with tax ! Ebay $22.00 delivered to my house! My local hobby store has been here for 37 yrs. It should close because it's worthless. Unless you need a tube of glue.... For 3 bucks!

Add me to the list of guys with no hobby shop locally. Nearest one is an hour and a half away. Add to that the fact that the prices there are 25%, or more, higher than online (delivered to the door) and it's online shopping for me. Face it. It's economic evolution. I hate the fact that Walmart has driven nearly ALL Mom & Pop shops out of business in small, Midwestern towns, but it's a done deal. Shop at Walmart or shop online for what you want.

I absolutely support my local hobby shop, and I go there at least once a month for supplies.  I do not often get Kits there tho, and for a few different reasons. I wish they bought out collections and sold them off, but they primarily buy what is released each quarter, and when they sell what they have that is it, and they do not stock that deep. Prices are on the premium end of  the scale, which I fully understand, but I still find it hard to pay the steep premium, but still do buy some, like Mobious, as they can't be had at Hobby Lobby. Having said that, most of what I buy, is older kits which I pick up at contest swap areas, which technically is not supporting the hobby shop either.  They need to be most like some theater chains, where they are lowering the ticket price, but then make up for it on concession sales. Hobby Shops need to offer kits at loss leaders prices, then sell the customers all of the other stuff. I understand that a local hobby shop also can't keep a limitless supply of aftermarket, like photo etch, as they may stock items that sit on the shelf for years. The internet, on the other hand,is vast in source and supply, and there is very little that cannot be had. I WISH that my hobby shop had everything I needed, but I go to paint supply houses for lacquer thinner, paint suppliers like Scalefinishes for colors that are not Testor's, and on and on. So, unless you are only building kits like you would have 30 years ago, with primarily only testors glue and paint etc, then your local hobby shop, can only supply so much. They simply cannot warehouse.

Having said that, I will always continue to support as best I can, but they cannot supply all my hobby needs.

Not entirely the internets fault alone. I pre-ordered an Aoshima Pagani Huayra October 2016...........NOTHING YET!, not even a "sorry, we can't seem to get it". I give LHS first chance, THEN i go internet shopping!! People ALL around me were already getting their Pagani's.......almost a year and counting is WAAAAAAAY too long to wait.