Model Cars Magazine Forum

Making Antennas

If you're in the Chicago area, check with Des Plaines Hobbies - they have some of that ultrafine tubing last time I checked (thanks to Tom Piagari aka feretzrus for the heads-up!).

Update on that; Tom and I visited Des Plaines Hobbies this afternoon and I made a few notes.

The (brass) tubing is made by Albion Alloys Ltd. and comes in a 3-pack in 305mm lengths; thinnest was 0.3mm OD/0.12mm ID. They also have a Slide Fit Pack with one each 0.4, 0.6, 0.8 and 1mm OD. Price was $6.80 per pack. Even if you don't make antennas, this tubing should be useful for something.:)

• 2 weeks later...

That looks pretty nice, Mike.   I'll have to search for the materials unless you might happen to have part numbers and sources.  Hint, hint.

This is pretty much the same as Steve posted at the start of this thread. I used smaller sized tubes and an Insect Pin instead of a guitar string. I'm not sure an E String will fit in the smaller tube since the paint was stripped off when inserted. The pin just slightly smaller.

I used 23g .025 ' OD x .019 ID  and 27g .01625 ' OD x .0125' ID SS Hypodermic tubes. Got from Amazon in 12" lengths. https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Steel-Hypodermic-Round-Tubing/dp/B003TFFCBA

The insect pins I got from Indigo

• 1 year later...
On 9/17/2017 at 11:00 AM, Foxer said:

I got an antenna that satisfies me. Has a .009" dia. Insect Pin and thin wall hypodermic tube in 23 and 27 gauge. They give a good proportional look to it. Base is 1/8" Al tube. I cut off the pin head and dipped the tip in it for a small ball.

Antenna final sml DSC 2340

Looks great. Thanks for the tip.