Model Cars Magazine Forum

what year did amt first produce the 40 ford coupe?

I have a car mag from aug 1960 and I swear there is a pic of a forty ford coupe it looks like the model but I didn't think this kit came out until later any one know with any certainty when?

Edited by randx0

Guest Gramps-xrds
Yep it was about 60,and they have NEVER changed any of the kit since then.The panel van is almost as old, I think it was released around 64/65.Check with Grampsxrds I'm CERTAIN he would know! :lol:

Now that George has put me on the spot :wacko::wacko: I know I had one for a while before I got drafted in 65, so I'd say more than likely 64 or earlier was the release of the panel. I painted it yellow like it was pictured on the box. It still sits on my shelf as a red Westergard's body shop delivery van. :lol::lol::lol:

I'm about 95% certain that 1960 was the first year it wes available. I know it was available then, and I'm pretty certain it wasn't available before that.

I have a builtup original 1960 issue of the kit- i bought it from the guy who built it- it's still in the original box, with instructions, and the unused parts.

Guest Gramps-xrds
Wasn't the custom version of the delivery based on Winfield's shop truck? I remember the panel and pinstripe decals from the original that I had.

I think you're right Sam. I remember them too.

thanks for your input . I am always amazed at what was coming out that early when you consider the ###### that was being pushed out in the seventies.I also appreciate the fact that you old guys still have the ability to recall such facts J/K. seriously though thanks again I love learning about the history of models.

Guest Gramps-xrds

Mark I don't remember the flathead ever having finned heads in the early issues. Maybe in the very late 60s early 70s when I wasn't buying many models.

That 39/40 sedan is a misnomer. It's not a 39 at all. It would have to be a 40 standard and 40 deluxe. (although it had the right headlight and tail light) The 39 had 2 extra chrome side pieces on each side of the hood on the 39 deluxe and the standard looked entirely different. Someone at AMT screwed up :lol::lol::lol:

I had the original issue '40 as a kid and I have a built up original with the box and instructions that I got a couple of years back.

There have been other changes to the kit as well besides the ones mentioned in earlier posts. The headers used to exit under the front fenders, or course there was that awesome 31A/G decal sheet. Tires and "custom" hubcaps have varied from release to release.

I consider it a timeless kit in any form and have probably built at least a dozen (so far). The first one I did was close to the boxart as possible for an 8 year old.

Bob

Guest Gramps-xrds

Mark in no way did I mean to imply that you were wrong and if it was taken that way I apologize.

As for the 39/40 sedan. I just wanted to tell ppl who don't know, they can't build a true 39 without doing some modifications to the kit as I have.

Like Bob said in the last post, it's a timeless kit that I've enjoyed building over and over.

I have 6 or 7 of the coupes sitting on the shelf now and 4 sedans and 4 panels. B):D

Guest zebm1

The first 2 Trophy Series models were the AMT 32 Model "B" Roadster and the 5 Window Coupe in 1959, th 40 Coupe and Sedan came out in 1960. The Sedan was Sold as the 40 Ford Sedan with a 39 Ford Grille. According to my 1960 Auto World Catalog.....it's falling apart. Now for those that say it Couldn't be, the Auto World Catalog.....the other 1964 Edition I have is the 7th Edition. :D

Oh and one other thing, these early models were facsimilies, none were very authentic. The mold engraving art waz very expensive and the model making companies were always looking to cut production costs. I heard Bob Pathe say once that he was always at odds with the bean counters, "if it looks like a car...sell it!" B)

Edited by zebm1

Mark I don't remember the flathead ever having finned heads in the early issues. Maybe in the very late 60s early 70s when I wasn't buying many models.

That 39/40 sedan is a misnomer. It's not a 39 at all. It would have to be a 40 standard and 40 deluxe. (although it had the right headlight and tail light) The 39 had 2 extra chrome side pieces on each side of the hood on the 39 deluxe and the standard looked entirely different. Someone at AMT screwed up :lol::lol::lol:

Correct about the sedan, Gramps!

What the kit box top says and what is in the box don't add up, not at all: While one can make a credible '40 Ford Deluxe Tudor Sedan, there is no way out of the box to build a '39.

The kit gives correct fenders for both years (no problem there), a somewhat incorrect '39 Ford Deluxe grille (it's workable though), with a '40 Ford Standard Hood, '39 headlights and taillights, '40 Deluxe wheels/hubcaps/beauty rings. '40 Deluxe dash and steering wheel, '40 Deluxe interior, and a '40 Body Shell.

'39 Ford Deluxe hood is much more rounded at the nose than is either '40 hood (this kit has a '40 Standard hood) having a pair of parallel side chrome strips. '39 was the last year of "wide five" wheels, with the large diameter hubcaps in two pieces, a painted outer cap, with an inner stainless steel cap (closest thing to correct would be the wheels and hubcaps from the Revell '37 Ford pickup/panel). 1939 was also the last year for the three-spoke "banjo" steering wheel, in addition to being the last year for a top loader 3-spd gearbox (column shift came in 1940. 1939 was also the last year for a flush-mounted swing-out windshield, with it's windshield wipers mounted at the top of the windshield. and given the swing out windshield, no cowl vent either.

Biscuitbuilder

Guest Gramps-xrds

:lol:;) Dang Buscut, you have a lot more info on the 39/40s than I knew. Good info if anyone wanted to build a 39 though. :lol::lol::lol:

I wish AMT or someone would cast a 39 standard in 1/25 scale. I think they look cool. I'd sure buy a few of them. :lol::lol:

Edited by Gramps-xrds

:lol:

The sedan delivery model, or the 1/1 car? The model's tooling is based in part directly from that AMT 40 coupe kit, (as part of the 40 sedan is as well). In fact the mid 90's freshening of the coupe has new parts, (ribbed bumpers & smoothie rims), from that last reissue/retool of the sedan delivery kits in the early 90's. IIRC AMT found the "missing" insert for the SD when they went to run a batch of either the coupe or sedan kits, & a bunch of sedan delivery bodies came popping out. It seems the SD tooling had been mislabeled after it's last known appearance in the 70's, prior to it's "disappearance" for several years. The SD even has the same Buick nailhead engine options as the coupe.

:lol:

A story from the late Bruce Treadwell was that the Sedan Delivery was put on hold for the loss of the rear door tool. "Mislabeling" was the right term here, the door was in a '40 kit, (Coupe or Sedan??) and some alert modeller contacted AMT, alerting them the missing door was indeed available: All they had to do was check the "right" ("wrong") '40 kits! :lol: