Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mach 1 kit

Only the Keith Marks decals are close to correct.  The MPC Boss 351 decals are similar to the Fred Cady ones.  Some of the original issue kits had the correct stripes and Mach1 for the fenders.  I can post a picture of all of them later.

Edited by vamach1

Keith Marks has the best decals for 71-73 Mach1's.   He also has ones for a sprint and the Shelby Europa.

i just picked up a testors 71 Mach1 in yellow. Is prepainted metal. Gonna work it over and make a nice car out of it. 

Screenshot_20170811-153000.png

IMG_20170811_153157.jpg

The Testors is a 71/73 hybrid.  73 Mach1 trunk decal, 71 side stripes and grille and 73 front bumper.  The worst part is it has a 70 Boss 429, not a 429CJ or god forbid a 351 Cleveland.  You could repaint it, use a 73 Grille and make a 73 Mach1 or sportsroof (eleanor) or grind off the bumper, add a chrome bumper and 351 to do a Boss version (with Magnum 500's.  If you want one of the underhood ram air units I can send you one.  Here are some grille pictures just to drive you crazy.

IMG_0650.JPG

IMG_0661.JPG

Edited by vamach1
Pic

• 2 weeks later...

What you really want is .....

I have yet to build a stock 73 but is on my list.  The good diecasts put the AMT/MPC kits to shame.  Notice the Testors wing is was too high.

IMG_0919.JPG

Not long ago I picked up a blue Boss 351 and was surprised at the level of detail.  The drivetrain was gone (fortunately?) so I can get on with correcting that; some of the decals are damaged and it sounds like Keith Marks is the only choice there.  The taillight panel is also incorrect as I see it.

Rex - the nose on the black car in the middle looks narrowed compared to the others.  Is that a different model?

The Testors is a 71/73 hybrid.  73 Mach1 trunk decal, 71 side stripes and grille and 73 front bumper.  The worst part is it has a 70 Boss 429, not a 429CJ or god forbid a 351 Cleveland.  You could repaint it, use a 73 Grille and make a 73 Mach1 or sportsroof (eleanor) or grind off the bumper, add a chrome bumper and 351 to do a Boss version (with Magnum 500's.  If you want one of the underhood ram air units I can send you one.  Here are some grille pictures just to drive you crazy.

+1

The Testor's Mustang needs a lot of work to make a decent replica, especially the interior and the engine compartment.  I worked one over a while back and came up with this......

DSCN7555AA.JPG

DSCN7551AA.JPG

DSCN7550AA.JPG

DSCN7554AA.JPG

DSCN7545AA.JPG

DSCN7549AA.JPG

DSCN7546AA.JPG

DSCN7548AA.JPG

The Testors also has a 73 trunk decal.  The rear spoiler should be lower and further backon the trunk.  The grille is 71/72 but the front bumper is from a 73.  The blue and pewter ones are the incredible Danbury Mint diecasts.   The red one is cheap diecast made by Motormax.