Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram Scarab (late iteration)

Dave B

I don't seem to be able to build a quick 'box stock' kit any more!!  This was going to be it but I preferred the version as raced at Bridgehampton in Sept '64 so this is my take on it.

Many tks to my mate Phil for once again supplying the decals I needed to make it look the part.  Now back to my slush cast Maserati Birdcage.  Tks for looking.

Dave B

IMG_7180.JPG

IMG_7175.JPG

IMG_7176.JPG

IMG_7178.JPG

IMG_7179.JPG

I don't seem to be able to build a quick 'box stock' kit any more!!  This was going to be it but I preferred the version as raced at Bridgehampton in Sept '64 so this is my take on it.

Many tks to my mate Phil for once again supplying the decals I needed to make it look the part.  Now back to my slush cast Maserati Birdcage.  Tks for looking.

Dave B

IMG_7180.JPG

IMG_7175.JPG

IMG_7176.JPG

IMG_7178.JPG

IMG_7179.JPG

I really like this but know nothing about the actual cars themselves, What year is it , what powered these cars ? About your build, where are the decals as well as the wheels and tires from, they look like the old IMC Firestones ........... Can you post more photos ? Not many of these Scarab to found on the old web .......

Alan

Tks all for the kind words. 

Alan, The rear engined Scarab first raced in Sept '62 and last raced in Nov '65. It was powered by the BPO alloy V8 (Oldsmobile in this case) and ran quad 48mm DCO sidedraft webers.  The decals are courtesy of a mate of mine and the wheels and tyres are from my parts box.  They are both resin, I'm pretty sure the wheels are minilites, not exactly correct but look OK and the tyres are as you commented Indy Firestones.  Once again they look OK, even if not strictly correct.

Dave B

Tks all for the kind words. 

Alan, The rear engined Scarab first raced in Sept '62 and last raced in Nov '65. It was powered by the BPO alloy V8 (Oldsmobile in this case) and ran quad 48mm DCO sidedraft webers.  The decals are courtesy of a mate of mine and the wheels and tyres are from my parts box.  They are both resin, I'm pretty sure the wheels are minilites, not exactly correct but look OK and the tyres are as you commented Indy Firestones.  Once again they look OK, even if not strictly correct.

Dave B

Thanks for the info, I have been wanting one of these kits for a while now and finally picked one up because I was inspired by your build ... forgot to mention, I like your radius and flared rear quarters . Do you know who offers copies of those Firestones ?

Alan

Very nicely done. I saw the full scale one in person at races like Santa Barbara and Riverside in the early 60s. You've done an excellent job capturing the original of the era rather than the "restored" race car like so many models are built these days. Right color belts, Webers through the intake openings in the engine cover, etc.

Are those Webers mounted to a pair of boxes attached under the body? Or is there an engine, etc. under the body?

Very nicely done. I saw the full scale one in person at races like Santa Barbara and Riverside in the early 60s. You've done an excellent job capturing the original of the era rather than the "restored" race car like so many models are built these days. Right color belts, Webers through the intake openings in the engine cover, etc.

Are those Webers mounted to a pair of boxes attached under the body? Or is there an engine, etc. under the body?

Once again tks all☺

Richard, only a box mounted under the body housing a resin intake and Weber's from the Corvette Grand Sport. Tks for your comments.

Dave B

Another side story to the Scarab, is that the owner, Lance Reventlow, kept that Scarab 2 race car after it was retired from racing, and had his shop convert it to a street registered car and used it on the street for many years. It was painted a deep metallic blue and had gold scallops on it. It looked really pretty that way too. There MAY be some pics of it that way on the internet somewhere. Hmmm... I'm thinking it might have been Lance's friend Augie Pabst (of the brewing family) that wound up with the Scarab. The car was built for Lance like all the Scarabs. Augie raced Scarabs for Lance...Hmmmm....Anyway...

I was looking for something else in my model kit warehouse this morning and ran across that Scarab kit. I oughta haul it out soon and start on it.

Edited by DustyMojave