Model Cars Magazine Forum

Need info on Sharpies and Gel Pens

OK. Without a whole, long explanation, I've discovered that I'm NOT going to be able to use BMF. Before anybody asks, or recommends anything, it has to do with being physically unable to do so. So I've decided to switch to using Sharpies and other brands of permanent markers, along with gel pens and Molotow Chrome markers. I've been reading as many threads as I can find on here about all sorts of markers and I'm getting a basic idea of what works and what doesn't. Some of the threads are kind of old, so I'd like to ask for ideas and suggestions from you guys that do use markers on a regular basis.

Here is what I'm looking to find out. What brand of markers work best for what type task? What sized tip works best for what task? What colors do you use and for what purpose? Specifically, what works best for raised white letters? I know that acrylic paint is a staple for a lot of guys, but do gel pens work well or not? Along with the use of markers, I know I'm going to have to occasionally use masking tape for a lot of the tasks to get a good, straight line. I already have some Tamiya tape, but is there another tape that works better?

So, if you regularly use any type of marker, I'd like to know the specifics of type, brand, tip size, etc, etc for each reason you use it.

I buy Silver Sharpies in 2-packs in the office/school supply section of Walmart. I use them for window trim, wheel opening trim, and some other types of trim--you'll soon figure out what they will and won't do. They are MUCH easier to use than any foil or silver paint.

I bought a fine Molotow but haven't used it yet, so will let other comment on that.

I recently bought a Pentel fine point silver gel pen at Hobby Lobby that has given me good results for small things like nameplates and emblems. Looking forward to working with it more.

A plain old red Sharpie is good for things like taillights and rear side marker lights, if you need some nice transparent red.

OK. Thanks, Snake. The Pentel marker was one I found while searching around and wondered how it compared to the silver Sharpie.

I have a 2mm Molotow and I'm getting ready to order  1mm. I've only been playing with it on junk plastic and a couple of kits I have that I'm not going to ever build. It takes a certain touch to get it to flow just right, but once you get that feel it seems to work pretty well.

Red and orange were two colors I figured would be useful for lights. I read a couple old threads where guys used orange and yellow both to get just the right shade for side markers.

I haven't yet found an orange/amber Sharpie that wasn't in a 12-color set. Would like to.

Red Sharpie is great where a taillight is molded in clear, or in chrome, or on old JoHans where they seemed to be molded in clear and they dyed red, but too thin. The red Sharpie I'm using has a fine point on one end and a VERY fine point on the other--I like it a lot and have a black one the same way that also gets a lot of use.

Those lights look good, JC. Seeing results like this makes me feel better about going with Sharpies versus BMF.

Richard, where did you get the Sharpies with tips on each end? I can see where that would be VERY useful. I haven't seen those where I've been looking to order from.

Thanks for the tip on the Uni-Ball, Jim. I found them in a couple different places. Unfortunately not at Hobby Lobby where I was planning on putting my next order in, but I can order from a couple different places.

Edited by smhardesty
Spelling edit

Richard, where did you get the Sharpies with tips on each end? I can see where that would be VERY useful. I haven't seen those where I've been looking to order from.

I bought the red and black ones in the crafts section at Walmart. Just this morning I got a blue one like that at Michaels for a particular model problem I need to solve. Sadly, I didn't think to look there for an orange one--I'm sure they'd have had it. Oh well, maybe next week.

Thanks for the tip on the Uni-Ball, Jim. I found them in a couple different places. Unfortunately not at Hobby Lobby where I was planning on putting my next order in, but I can order from a couple different places.

Jelly Roll or Jelly Belly, Jelly something is about the same as the Uni-Ball.  I was fortunate enough to be able to hold both in my hand and liked the feel of the Uni better.  The Jelly ones are at Hobby Lobby.

FOUND THEM! I wasn't ignoring you, Jim. I just couldn't find the pens on Hobby Lobby's site. Each time I logged on the MCM forum and saw this thread  I would try again to find the pens you suggested. Not sure why, but I never once thought to do a 'Net search, then go to Hobby Lobby. I just kept hammering away at their site. Today I finally got wise and did that 'Net search. They are "Gelly Roll" pens, not "Jelly Roll". I now have them bookmarked and I'm about ready to put an order together from Hobby Lobby with several different Sharpie, Gelly Roll, and Molotow markers.

Thanks for suggesting the Gelly Roll, even if I was a little slow catching on. They're supposed to have .4mm sized tips which should be more than small enough to do even small raised white letters.

The Uni-Ball pen I use is 2mm.  I think 4mm is going to be too big.  Sorry about Jelly/Gelly.  I was close though.  Do a post back here after you use it, please.  Or PM me.

I think you misunderstood, Jim. Not 4mm, but .4mm like dot4. Here is the link:

http://www.hobbylobby.com/Art-Supplies/Drawing-Illustration/Pens/White-4mm-Gelly-Roll-Pens/p/7695