Model Cars Magazine Forum

2013 Challenger or a similar-looking model

fiatboy

I'd rather not go with a pre-decorated body.  It seems to me that a lot of these modern Challengers look very similar.  I think one of the model-car magazines did a 'comparo' on 2 different brands of Challenger kits.  My neighbor wants me to build her a model.  Help!

Pending on what she's willing to spend, there will be an other option later this year. Plamoz will be doing 3 separate trans kits for the 2009 Revell Challenger kit. A Hellcat version, a widebody Hellcat and a Demon. He's working on the interior parts now. Year should be 2015/6 is my guess. It wont be cheap tho, his 2013 Shelby GT500 TK was $63 US, his newly released 2014 Z28 Camaro TK is $110 US. But his quality and workmanship is second to none. The Camaro TK has like 120 parts or more in it, I stopped counting when I got to the PE set. Other than that, Jeremy from Clearly Scale is also doing a Hellcat TK, some parts are ready now, but he's still redoing some of the molds. He lost just about all his masters earlier this year due to a bad shipment of resin, so he pretty much had to start over. Again, no cheap. The Foose predecorated kit is probably your best option cost wise. Just strip the paint and redo. 

Good luck

The 2013 Challengers are almost the same as the 2008-2012's, body-wise. You could start with either the Revell or AMT kits. The 2011-after don't have the emblem on the nose. The early R/T's and SXT's used a different front spoiler than the SRT-8's. There are other little differences. Post some specifics about the car (model, appearance packages), and I'll see what I can do to help. The car in my Avatar pic is my 2010 Challenger SXT Rallye.  

OK- The Revell SRT-8 is listed as a 2008, and that was the top gun Challenger that year. It's a nice full-detail kit, with engine and suspension detail, and with no prepainted body.

The AMT kits are curbsides, no engine details. They did 2010 R/T's and SRT-8's. The only differences I can see between the two AMT kits are: different front spoilers, decals and different wheels. The wheels on AMT's SRT-8 are incorrect, as they're scaled as 18' in 1/25 scale, but they should be 20' wheels. You could conceivably swap the Revell SRT-8 wheels onto the AMT SRT-8 and that would give you correct wheels.

The Revell 2013 Challenger SRT-8 is slightly updated from these other kits. It's also a prepainted, semi-detailed kit. It does have suspension and engine detail, but it's simplified. I think the bodies on these are only prepainted for the stripes and emblems- otherwise, they're either molded in either orange or purple. It looks like to a point & with some work, you could swap around some of the stuff from the Revell full detail 2008 to the 2013 and vice versa.     

There was a Foose issue kit, that is the 2013 kit with a fully prepainted body and custom wheels.

Plamoz and Clearly Scale do seem to be developing some transkits for later Hellcats.

If you're just being asked to build a cool Challenger for a friend, and you don't want a prepaint, just get the Revell 2008 SRT 8 and have at it. Unless you have to build something specific, I don't think there is any reason for the added expense and trouble of going the resin route...

• 2 weeks later...

The Plum Crazy and Hemi Orange pre painted kits from Revell WERE painted the individual colors, and the Foose Challenger was molded in the lime green pearl color with the black being painted, with a decal for the separation and trim stripes. If you wanted to make a proper version of the Foose car you'll need the wheels from the Foose '67 Charger kit, and repaint the green on the body in a pearl yellow.