• Announcements

• General Usage   05/10/2017

If someone is acting badly, either in a forum or a private message, please report it. There are conveniently located buttons for sending the post to the moderators. 

Modern Rail Dragsters?

6 posts in this topic

Posted

Does anyone offer a modern rail dragster or funny car? The most modern kits I can find seems to be of cars from at least 20 years ago, with many from the '70's.

Posted

I don't believe so, you would have to modify one with resin body and parts.

Posted

Even diecast seem to be a decade old or older. The last modern rail chassis were from Revell/Monogram and those date to about 2000 with their latest updates.

Posted (edited)

The latest Revell Top Fuel Dragster kits are from 2002 (the Kenny Bernstein Bud King and Tony Schumacher Army cars were the last) and the latest Funny Car kits are from 1997 with Pontiac Firebird bodies, nothing new after that.
Unfortunately Revell didn't update enough back then but if they had the Dragsters kits would still be pretty much up to date with some small changes even today 15 years later.
Same with the Funny Car kits, except for the bodies they didn't change much and if Revell had done the necessary updates to the tooling back then they would pretty much work even today 20 years later with a new body.
So when Revell/Monogram did most of the TF and FC kits they decided to do them in an unfortunate time when these cars evolved much each year with new and better things the whole time and the progress in the sport was enormous, and Revell didn't keep up with the technical progress even if they did some updates when they did a new version...but never enough to be correct for the time they were supposed to be from.
After that the evolution of the cars slowed down and the visual changes the last 15-20 years haven't been that much and the cars looks pretty much the same as they did back then, some changes like head shield, belly pans, wheels and some other small things has come after that but the most changes and developement of the cars came in the mid 90's to early 2000's.

Edited by Force

Posted

Sounds like my best options are the Bud King and Army dragsters, then. thanks for the info!

Posted (edited)

As I said, those two are the latest version, but they were not correct even back then as Revell didn't do enough updates when they did them, if they had they would have been pretty much up to date today 15 years later.
To do a more modern Top Fuel Dragster you need to change the rear wing to a 3-element wing and larger side plates, change the front wing to a one piece full width wing mounted in front of the nose cone, do a head protection shield over the back of  the roll cage, make a belly pan, make a larger wind shield, update the engine with a setback 14-71 blower with explosion bag and hold down harness, larger MSD Pro Mag 44 magnetos, new Sid Waterman Mega Bertha style fuel pumps and new titanium valve covers with covers to prevent the spark plugs from blowing out, and new wheels...and you are pretty much done.
Some teams have a canopy over the driver and I have found a resin dragster body on ebay with the "Schumacher canopy".

Edited by Force