Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scam 'Bay Listings?

I could have sworn I saw a thread on here about scam listings. Couldn't find it, so I'm starting a new one.

I just saw a listing for thirteen 1990s Revell/AMT kits, all of american subjects, for sale for a "buy it now" of about $24 bucks, with free shipping.

Riiiight.

Just a reminder, practice safe shopping; don't click "buy it now" and fund these jerks!

Chris that was I that made that post about eBay scams. Right here is the original post....

What I've been doing lately when I see a bogus auction is simply report it. Just for fun, I'll "watch" the auction and usually within a half hour or so ZAP!!.......it's gone! ;)

There was one bogus auction I was watching.......I think it was for the big scale Monogram '32 Ford that was being offered at a "real cheap" price with free shipping. Unfortunately, I had reported that one, but I saw later on that it was "sold". Oh well--------the poor sap has to find out the hard way that "if it sounds too good to be true, then it is".

Chris that was I that made that post about eBay scams. Right here is the original post....

What I've been doing lately when I see a bogus auction is simply report it. Just for fun, I'll "watch" the auction and usually within a half hour or so ZAP!!.......it's gone! ;)

There was one bogus auction I was watching.......I think it was for the big scale Monogram '32 Ford that was being offered at a "real cheap" price with free shipping. Unfortunately, I had reported that one, but I saw later on that it was "sold". Oh well--------the poor sap has to find out the hard way that "if it sounds too good to be true, then it is".

If you're talking about the Monogram 32 Ford Sport Coupe auction, that was me that got duped. I'll fully admit it

Well I'll be darned! I remember that auction (It was legit) as I BID on that one and lost by a few dollars. I did eventually get one nearly identical to the one linked (legit seller). They're different cars though as the one I got had a very minor chip in the roof (easily fixed) and the pics were slightly different.

In fact, here's the auction I won here.

Strange Ebay handles, "0" feedback and a China location,  along with great "buy it now " with free shipping on high dollar kits are common place of late. I wonder if it has invaded other types of auctions on Ebay like toys or sporting goods etc..

Strange Ebay handles, "0" feedback and a China location,  along with great "buy it now " with free shipping on high dollar kits are common place of late. I wonder if it has invaded other types of auctions on Ebay like toys or sporting goods etc..

Ken, no doubt that's what probably happening. I happened to notice the vintage section of models on eBay as that's what I cruise through the most. I don't know how eBay handles this 'cept to say that one may need to "certify' that they're not a "bot" or something? 

Seems like it's more than them trying to dupe folks into buying a fake auction............sounds more like an underhanded attempt at identity theft.

Just a thought..........

I hadn't noticed this going on until I saw these two threads. I now see them every week. Every one from China with free shipping. Every one is hundreds of dollars worth of models or Resin parts for less than $30. Every one has 0 feedback. Every one is "But-it-Now." My question is this: what is the motive? It seems like a lot for just $25 or so. I realize that they will receive your name and address, but what other info can they get? I've sold on Ebay before, and I don't think that I had access to any information regarding the buyer. Is there some way they are able to access your info for a larger payoff, or is this simply several $25 scams?

I hadn't noticed this going on until I saw these two threads. I now see them every week. Every one from China with free shipping. Every one is hundreds of dollars worth of models or Resin parts for less than $30. Every one has 0 feedback. Every one is "But-it-Now." My question is this: what is the motive? It seems like a lot for just $25 or so. I realize that they will receive your name and address, but what other info can they get? I've sold on Ebay before, and I don't think that I had access to any information regarding the buyer. Is there some way they are able to access your info for a larger payoff, or is this simply several $25 scams?

I was wondering the same thing. What do they gain frm the scam?  The payment I'm sure is refunded to the buyer (by either PayPal or eBay) but they do have the buyer's address. But what good is that for them?

BTW, I reported one of these scam listings last night - it is already gone.

It sure is funny how so many of us know about it and i'm sure many have reported it but Ebay hasn't done anything about it!

They are constantly doing something about it: they delete the bogus listings and probably delete the user account that created the listing. But the scammers just create new user and new listings.  it goes on and on.

They are constantly doing something about it: they delete the bogus listings and probably delete the user account that created the listing. But the scammers just create new user and new listings.  it goes on and on.

I mean, they need to come up with something that keeps them from making another account. Verification systems, etc. 

It sure is funny how so many of us know about it and i'm sure many have reported it but Ebay hasn't done anything about it!

E Bay has a litany of Fake Service station signs and vendors who are re popping this junk in Argentina . I refuse under any circumstances to fool with sings now as a result ...

I'm thinking someone must have written a program that strips photos and descriptions from listings, automatically creates user profiles (hence the profile made up of strings of numbers), populates new listings with the "borrowed" photos and text, and offers the "item" for sale for a low price and free shipping. Heck, they could probably even pay some mouth-breathers to do that work.

Then, if they are doing this across a wide enough swath of product categories, they could potentially reel in enough suckers that they'd make hundreds, if not thousands of dollars per day. And they're pretty much untouchable because they're overseas. Nice!

You really have to be careful these days. If it looks too good to be true...well, it probably is.

There's a lot more going on that that! 

I recently read about there being investigations that ISIS is using eBay auctions and Paypal to funnel money to pay small factions in different parts of the world.  One was an eBay seller pretending to sell printers,  with ISIS funds coming to him one sale at a time to avoid detection...    scary stuff!

This isn't exactly the same thing, but something I've noticed on the UK Ebay site is there are a lot of current Revell/Monogram models at insane prices, all of which are listed by sellers stating their location as "UK" with a contact address in Israel.   Hard to believe they sell any at these prices, so one wonders what's behind it and why they choose to list them on the UK site in Pounds.  For example, same Willys kit at $80 - 110 from three Ebay IDs with Israeli contact info:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Revell-Monogram-1-25-Scale-1941-Willys-Pickup-Plastic-Model-Kit-/292196213653

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Revell-Monogram-1-25-Scale-1941-Willys-Pickup-Plastic-Model-Kit-/202019187229

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Revell-Monogram-1-25-Scale-1941-Willys-Pickup-Plastic-Model-Kit-/322285299509

Now this is interesting...from a person who worked in China for 15 years:

"In almost all cases Chinese scammers are individuals. China still maintains the DEATH PENALTY FOR FRAUD so in most cases of foreigners being scammed of money it is very unlikely that a company is involved...

First off, no legitimate supplier in China is going to accept payment via Paypal. Most will not have ever heard of Paypal and even those that may have heard of it will not use it as it can be difficult for them to set up in China and also unnecessary for them as they do plenty of business with the standard payment method of bank transfer so will have no interest in Paypal."

http://www.ebay.com/gds/Scammers-in-China-protecting-yourself-from-ripoffs-/10000000020060921/g.html

This just happened to me for a book I wanted titled FRICTION.  A new book about marketing and brand names. The seller was selling two copies for what others wanted for one.  I bought only to read others feedback about getting screwed.  I got my money back and purchased from another seller.

Edited by Greg Wann