Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Ford Courier Pickup. Any good?

pharoah

There are a couple of them aren't there? The AMT kit was pretty good. It was released with the stock bed originally. I think it was also released with a modified stock bed and camper shell as well. The stepside bed kit came out later if I remember. This bed was never a factory option on the 1:1 except as an aftermarket conversion. Revell also had a version with a step bed and other custom parts. I'm pretty sure it was a separate kit, I don't think it was a reissue of the AMT kit. The AMT version was released a few years ago in the stepside bed version. I don't know if it included the stock bed as well. They are usually on eBay, though the original issue stock bed ones are fairly expensive.

There are a couple of them aren't there? The AMT kit was pretty good. It was released with the stock bed originally. I think it was also released with a modified stock bed and camper shell as well. The stepside bed kit came out later if I remember. This bed was never a factory option on the 1:1 except as an aftermarket conversion. Revell also had a version with a step bed and other custom parts. I'm pretty sure it was a separate kit, I don't think it was a reissue of the AMT kit. The AMT version was released a few years ago in the stepside bed version. I don't know if it included the stock bed as well. They are usually on eBay, though the original issue stock bed ones are fairly expensive.

Yup, the AMT and Revell were different generation trucks. The Revell was an earlier truck but the kit was custom only, no where near stock.  The AMT was the later generation of the truck. The first couple issues could be built stock. There was a "Monroe Handler" custom version version with the stock box and the "Bush Baby" stepside version that looked like a 4X4 but I think it was just a lifted 2 wheel drive. The AMT kits were quite nice for the '70s when they first came out. The Revell was just another one of those Revell custom thingies they pumped out by the zillion back then. [looked cool though]

Yup, the AMT and Revell were different generation trucks. The Revell was an earlier truck but the kit was custom only, no where near stock.  The AMT was the later generation of the truck. The first couple issues could be built stock. There was a "Monroe Handler" custom version version with the stock box and the "Bush Baby" stepside version that looked like a 4X4 but I think it was just a lifted 2 wheel drive.

The "Bush Baby" version does have 4x4 parts. I just built the Monroe Handler version a few months ago and I used the 4x4 suspension from the Bush Baby truck to do a stock 4x4 fleetside. I hope the molds for the fleetside bed are still around, I'd like to see this kit get reissued again.

OK. I got this today. The old Firestone version. Box was sealed. I'm not going to unbag everything now,but I scanned the instructions. There's a metal axle on the front,but it looks like it might be easy to convert to poseable steering. not much chrome,but I like the wheels. They were very popular with mini truckers back then.

fc4.jpg

fc.jpg

fc1.jpg

fc2.jpg

fc3.jpg

I've built/bought about a dozen of these over the years- it seems like the driver's side lower corner of the windshield opening is always short-shot. Not a big deal to fix but something to look out for.

It might take a little work to get the bed lined up with the cab, but overall the fit is surprisingly good for a late '70's AMT kit. 

I'll have to see if I can get a pic of the defect I'm talking about- it seems fairly common to this kit. The only flaw I can think of is that the most recent reissue is mislabeled- 

1068693-30652-61-720.jpg

The 1995 reissue (2wd drive with aftermarket Flareside bed) is labeled as a '77 on the instruction sheet, but the grille-mounted turn signals date it to '78 or later.

About the bed on this version and the Bush Baby.... yes, it technically isn't factory, but neither was the Styleside (wide) bed. The Courier was shipped to the US without a bed, and a bed built in the US by Sheller-Globe (if I remember correctly) was installed on the trucks after they'd arrived here. But, several aftermarket firms did offer step side beds for them, and the AMT resembles what appears to be a less-commonly chosen version. Many had fenders that looked like GM units. 

The trucks were shipped here that way to get around the good old "Chicken Tax", an archaic and idiotic law still in use today. The Subaru Brat had those weird rear-facing seats in the bed for the same purpose. 

Same story for the 4x4 variant- the Courier was never offered as a 4x4 from the factory, but a number of aftermarket firms would build you one. 

I'd say it's been more than long enough since this one's been reissued. I'd love to see Round 2 bring it back, preferably with the Styleside bed. Or, maybe throw in the Flareside bed and 4x4 components as options?

Edited by Chuck Most

Back in that era I worked for a huge home builder and bought the company vehicles,  mostly sedans for executives.  GM US built sedans had horrible quality, to the point when we took delivery of a new Caddy, Olds or Buick  I'd drive it for a week or two before turning it over to the executive.  

With gas being tight, I downsized our service department from full size pickups.  I took delivery of a white Courier, put a cap on it and was waiting for it to be lettered so it was sitting in my spot out front of headquarters.   One of the executives sneered that  "That tin can won't last a week in the field!"  

I gave the Courier to one of the service guys and soon enough had a fleet of them.  The service department loved them and we never had an issues at all with them!

• 2 weeks later...

I grew up in the early/mid '80's being schlepped around in a Mazda V2000 Sundowner, which is basically the same truck. It had a 4 cylinder 5 speed, manual everything, but that truck was almost bullet proof. Dad always took good care of it, and had it without any major problems for 17 years. 

Was there ever this earlier body available in a kit? 
I had a lot of fun with that rig.

MY- FORD COURIER MINI TRUCK 02.JPG

You could drop the Revel cab onto the AMT chassis and be a good ways there. You could use the interior or the AMT fleetside bed as well but you would have to scratch build the exterior. Luckily none of it is particularly complicated in shape so it would be doable if you have some scratch building skills.

Was there ever this earlier body available in a kit? 
I had a lot of fun with that rig.

MY- FORD COURIER MINI TRUCK 02.JPG

Hey Jon, my dad had one same color but bone stock. He had it for years and even did one trip from Pacific to Atlantic and back with it.

Unfortunately, the Revell kits have a chopped top.

Here's a weird thing I remember about this kit. I think it was covered in The Other Magazine many years ago:  the Courier chassis is nearly a drop-fit under the AMT '40 Ford. No good for a stock build, but useful if you wanted to build a street rodded or custom '40.

Here's a weird thing I remember about this kit. I think it was covered in The Other Magazine many years ago:  the Courier chassis is nearly a drop-fit under the AMT '40 Ford. No good for a stock build, but useful if you wanted to build a street rodded or custom '40.

I have the AMT Dodge D50 on my bench right now.  It's a Mitsubishi pickup with Dodge logos on it.   I put it on the '40 Ford sedan delivery, and yes it is a drop in fit!  The D50 has a Mitsu 2.4 engine with a turbo option.  Very detailed chassis with posable steering.

My uncle Larry was the first in the family to own one, my Dad borrowed it to ferry my great aunt's belongings from Trafford Pa to Amherst Va in 1981. One of the memories I have is passing a guy on a motorcycle on the Pennsylvania Turnpike in a full blown blizzard. Dad got his own a couple of years later, same color. I had trouble driving it because it was a five.speed and all I'd driven till then we're four speeds!

• 1 year later...
On 8/25/2017 at 7:51 PM, Chuck Most said:

I'd say it's been more than long enough since this one's been reissued. I'd love to see Round 2 bring it back, preferably with the Styleside bed. Or, maybe throw in the Flareside bed and 4x4 components as options?

Bush Baby reissue or bust. :D

AMTbushbabycourier.jpg

AMTcourier2.jpg

BushBayCourier4x4AMT.jpg

amtcourier4.jpg

This was one of those AMT kits from the corporate dark days of the late 1970's.  I built it soon after it came out, kitbashing the turbo engine with the styleside version with the pickup bed top that made it look like a van, and a black with candy blue/green/purple graphics.  My recollection is that it was a pretty painless build and a very good kit for its era. 

This tool and its variations does seem like a good candidate for future reissues,,,,,,I'll mention to John G. at Round 2 when we next talk.....TIM t