Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Ford Courier Pickup. Any good?

pharoah

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/12/2020 at 10:24 PM, Daddyfink said:

The Revell version shares it's guts with the Datsun and Luv kits. Not accurate at all.

Revell1980Catlog4-vi.jpg

Was that the same chassis as the Sneaky Pete/Midnite Cowboy Chevy also?  All three of those have the same squarebody Chevy stepside bed.  I had the reissue of the Desert Rat with the bikes and trailer.  As soon as I opened it, I thought i had the wrong kit since it looked so similar to the Sneaky Pete

24 minutes ago, JJ Deuce said:

Was that the same chassis as the Sneaky Pete/Midnite Cowboy Chevy also?

Not the same, but it looks similar and has a very similar parts breakdown.

24 minutes ago, JJ Deuce said:

All three of those have the same squarebody Chevy stepside bed.

I recall previous discussion regarding those aftermarket stepside beds (though it does looks much like the Chevy Stepside bed, especially the fenders) which was added once the truck arrived in the U.S. Not sure if that was here or on another forum, but Revell's first in the series was a (mostly accurate) replica of this customized Chevy LUV, which had that specific stepside bed installed by the builder:

ChoppedLUV.jpg.4738aa3b72072b742f69ad00e07b9b21.jpg

Revell of this period took a lot of shortcuts. They tooled up essentially the same chassis and California Stepside bed in full-size and mini-truck size. The full-size ended up being limited to Chevy trucks while the mini-truck was shared by the LUV, Courier, and Datsun. All versions used a generic small-block Chevy. I think both size beds were available in parts packs, too.

2 hours ago, Fabrux said:

Revell of this period took a lot of shortcuts. They tooled up essentially the same chassis and California Stepside bed in full-size and mini-truck size. The full-size ended up being limited to Chevy trucks while the mini-truck was shared by the LUV, Courier, and Datsun. All versions used a generic small-block Chevy. I think both size beds were available in parts packs, too.

I had the pickup parts pack, Chris. It did have two boxes but IIRC, just one set of rear fenders.

• 5 months later...
On 8/24/2021 at 7:12 PM, Casey said:

Thanks, that was the name I couldn't recall. To bring this topic back around...:

CAstepside.jpg.83b84128ccc9340094e270889ce4ae14.jpg

MPC issued their Datsun pickup kit with this bed, and California Step Side decals.

Several companies made similar beds.  Budd Anderson was involved with one of them, he sold out just before the fad died out.

On 8/24/2021 at 8:41 AM, Casey said:

....... Not sure if that was here or on another forum, but Revell's first in the series was a (mostly accurate) replica of this customized Chevy LUV .....

I mentioned a bit about the 1:1 Vini Bergeman custom in my thread about the Revell Luv kit. One of these days when I get more of my act together, I plan to do a more accurate replication of the 1:1, but using the stepside fenders out of the Monogram Luv stepside kit.