Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ferrari F40LM

aurfalien

Hi,

This project was both a lot of fun and a total nightmare.

It was the latter for 3 reasons which I will never ever repeat again.  In fact, I feel these ruined the true potential of this lovely kit.

1) I did not test fit or pre assemble anything.  This led to MANY fit issues during and after final paint.  Not to mention finger prints, rubbed off paint, glue spots etc...

2) I tried to fix a botched paint job.  The Vallejo flat with there satin varnish hides a lot but next time if there is a questionable paint job, I will strip down to the plastic and start over.

3) I used a matte finish type of decal paper which looks great, but absorbs moisture.  So when spraying satin clear coat, it darkened the decal in spots.  Next time I'll use shiny Testors decal paper which seems less likely to absorb moisture.

A few tips to those thinking about getting this particular kit being the Fujimi F40LM kit # 12105.  It seems kinda hard to find and is worth the search. However very similar are kits #123080, #HR-19 and #RS-114.

1) The glass is persnickety so cut it in 3 sections; front and sides for easier placement.

2) I felt the 17" wheels where a bit under sized so look for 18" Work Meister S1 from Aoshima or Scale Production.  The Fujimi 18" OZ Racing Futura also looks like a nice fit.

3) The kit wasn't well engineered in terms of certain parts simply being attached w/o any physical guides etc... so just be aware of this.

At any rate I learned a hell of a lot and may leave it alone or strip down for a latter revisit.  And lastly, I'm very happy that it's finished!

69KVJHbD.jpg

0foptrnj.jpg

wGTWa2mS.jpg

FE1dn5SV.jpg

H7KHdzRY.jpg

PmBNRluo.jpg

EknSyXre.jpg

giwUkJRd.jpg

FAktsZFU.jpg

ZPY7xfmq.jpg

Edited by aurfalien

Every now and then you need to push through and see one all the way to the end, just so it drives home the fact you should have started over a long time ago ;)

From the photos it looks very nice. Looks good in blue. From what I have seen, I do not think any race car goes together without a little massaging and reshaping.

Every now and then you need to push through and see one all the way to the end, just so it drives home the fact you should have started over a long time ago ;)

From the photos it looks very nice. Looks good in blue. From what I have seen, I do not think any race car goes together without a little massaging and reshaping.

Thank you for the kind and wise words Shaman Xingu, much appreciated.

Edited by aurfalien

I hope you didn't take that wrong. I say it as someone who has a model (Porsche 959) sitting in view of my work bench that has a bad paint job and a fingerprint on the glass, to serve as a reminder of the time I should have stopped and started over.

I hope you didn't take that wrong. I say it as someone who has a model (Porsche 959) sitting in view of my work bench that has a bad paint job and a fingerprint on the glass, to serve as a reminder of the time I should have stopped and started over.

Oh, it as a very constructive and positive message.

Kind of like; one doesn't know the forest until they have walked past all the trees.  Hind-sight is an essential component of fore-sight and is all part of the tree of knowledge.

Turned out great Brian.

Why thank you monsignor AFX.  I'm starting to feel like a builder now.

Next time I use Vallejo which are marvelous in pigment and color, I'll coat with Pledge and then spray on the desired clear finish.

That paint is delicate to the touch and takes a week to dry for full effect.  It's pretty amazing actually.

Turned-out pretty BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH sweet still!!!.....I like the colors, and the matt look!, I almost considered painting my Aventador in a light blue metallic matt finish just to be different, but saw a photo of a VERY matt black one, and decided to go that route instead. At any rate, this kit does have the capability of being a pain in the ass, but with careful planning and building, can turn into a really nice looking model!! -looks like your windows ended up fitting better than most builds of this kit I've seen.....well done!!      By the way, should you decide to redo the body on this one, I still have a 95% complete kit of this that's all yours if you want......free

Hello Monsignor Dann,

Thank you very much!

I used thin black tape to highlight the hardware on the side windows, unsure if the pics show it or not.

I think the key to making the glass fit right was cutting it into sections.  It took me 4 iterations of trying to fit the window with glue spots and all before I sanded them down and cut em up.

I learned soo much that I'm starting to feel good about building.

Hello Monsignor Dann,

Thank you very much!

I used thin black tape to highlight the hardware on the side windows, unsure if the pics show it or not.

I think the key to making the glass fit right was cutting it into sections.  It took me 4 iterations of trying to fit the window with glue spots and all before I sanded them down and cut em up.

I learned soo much that I'm starting to feel good about building.

That's good to hear!, I wonder how many of the modelers we admire have had REALLY horrible builds that, despite they're skills, still went BAD to the point that they either didn't want to finish it -ever, or carried on with the build but cant stand the sight of it because its not up to they're normal standard of building?  I for one have been building since 1977, and after all this time, I only have 15 built models in my display case that has passed my own inspection. I've built around 80 total. My F40 took three tries, and I had a Porsche 911 GT2 that took two tries, and now i'm about to finish my second attempt at a Lamborghini Aventador. I guess what i'm taking the long track to say is that quite often...at least for me, I figure out WAY better ways to do the build the second time around, and i'm happier than I know I would have been. Keep up the learning, you ARE getting better, and better.

Hi and thank you sirs!

All of your kind replies gives me more reason to build.

I'm on fire now with 2 on deck, neither OBB but having in my opinion, very cool mods.

I may even start a 3rd on deck as I'm stoked!  If I had big enough bench space, i would most certainly have half a dozen builds in process as I have soo many ideas and plans.