Model Cars Magazine Forum

'70 Hemi 'Cuda

Roadrunner

Interesting info about the AAR 'Cuda. Does anyone make a decent kit of the AAR? I don't recall having seen one before.

Not that Im aware of. Monogram used to make one in 1.24th scale but it left A LOT to be desired .

Another AAR factoid.

ALL AARs had a molded in satin black grille and lower valance insert. . ALL other 1970 Barracudas / Cudas get a medium argent grille

AAR

C-77R06169-1.jpg

All the others

C-77R06149.jpg

Edited by gtx6970

• 2 weeks later...

I have no earthly idea what Revell was thinking when they did the suspension here, as some of the connecting items, connect to nothing at all, at least as far as I can tell.

Also, what would be the recommended paints to use for the two Argent silvers, the one for the shaker and the one for the grille? I'm guessing that two different shades of metalizer will do the trick, but any advice would be welcomed.

09 12 17 005.jpg

Edited by Roadrunner

I have no earthly idea what Revell was thinking when they did the suspension here, as some of the connecting items, connect to nothing at all, at least as far as I can tell.

Also, what would be the recommended paints to use for the two Argent silvers, the one for the shaker and the one for the grille? I'm guessing that two different shades of metalizer will do the trick, but any advice would be welcomed.

09 12 17 005.jpg

I would go with Testors German Silver it as bigger flakes and looks like Argent texture silver .

I'm seriously considering not using BMF on this baby. The trim around the windows, in particular, are so faint that following the lines might be near impossible for me, and I don't want to wreck an otherwise OK finish. Thoughts?

Maybe it's time for you to discover the joys of the Silver Sharpie. B)

That cuda is going to look sweet parked next to that challenger. I myself am working on the same kit with a much different approach. My wife was with me when i was browsing a local hobby lobby and said she wanted me to build her one and she wanted to pick the colors..... Brown and of course... Pink. I'd post pictures but am afraid of being laughed off!

Maybe it's time for you to discover the joys of the Silver Sharpie. B)

With my coffeine induced shakiness? That would be even worse than BMF. :(

No, but you can cobble one together from the horrible AAR kit and the old Monogram '71.

That's a very interesting thought, Rich. I'll have to seriously consider that. I'm already intending to (eventually), do some Challenger cross-kitting to get a '70 R./T convertible.

That cuda is going to look sweet parked next to that challenger. I myself am working on the same kit with a much different approach. My wife was with me when i was browsing a local hobby lobby and said she wanted me to build her one and she wanted to pick the colors..... Brown and of course... Pink. I'd post pictures but am afraid of being laughed off!

Thanks a bunch. I like the looks so far too, and with any luck at all, and the help of those here, perhaps I'll end up with something nice.

Edited by Roadrunner

Not that Im aware of. Monogram used to make one in 1.24th scale but it left A LOT to be desired .

Another AAR factoid.

ALL AARs had a molded in satin black grille and lower valance insert. . ALL other 1970 Barracudas / Cudas get a medium argent grille

All the others

C-77R06149.jpg

So, it appears that the lights inboard of the headlights are both amber? Revell provides clear, flat lenses (part numbers 129 & 183), but no appearance of bulbs, nor any indication of color, so I'd like to fake these in somehow.

Thanks,

Lights.jpg

yup, looks like a clear lens to me...with an amber 1157 bulb behind it.

I know Tamiya used to make a really nice clear amber paint.

Drilling a small pilot hole in the back side of the lens and filling it with some amber paint just might duplicate of the look of the real thing (try this on clear sprue before taking a chance on ruining the kit lenses)

So, it appears that the lights inboard of the headlights are both amber? Revell provides clear, flat lenses (part numbers 129 & 183), but no appearance of bulbs, nor any indication of color, so I'd like to fake these in somehow.

Thanks,

Lights.jpg

Always a clear lens with a amber bulb on the backside

https://s3.amazonaws.com/gearbox-yearone-com/part-images/p/pla7b.png

If you're going for a factory look, a little orange peel is actually desirable. Better a little orange peel than burning through and having to strip and repaint!

Actually, there are several areas that have now seen the paint sanded/polished through to the primer, but when I'm 100% finished polishing (another couple of days), I'll just touch-up those areas with the airbrush, and re-polish. I did this on my Challenger body, and it worked out fine. 

Also, the interior on this thing is going to be quite boring, as it appears that almost everything is black, with precious little color elsewhere, but perhaps that's a good thing, at least in this case.

Edited by Roadrunner

I have no idea why I put this off so long, but today I sprayed the shaker and front grille, using Model Master steel (non-buffing), and I'm very happy with the resultant appearance. (Hood still obviously needs more polishing, but I hope to tackle that tomorrow, after the stiffeners I'll be adding, have had a chance to dry thoroughly.)

09 26 17 005.jpg