Model Cars Magazine Forum

'70 Hemi 'Cuda

Roadrunner

Slight change in plans here, as I'll now be going with Icy Blue, instead of the SS Blue, as this lighter blue, will allow the "hockey stick" decal to show up better. I'm also still trying to determine if I prefer rallye wheels, or the other wheel that's typically seen.

Edited by Roadrunner

Oh yes, primer now on. Not perfect (but mine never are), so once I perform a couple of small touch-ups, it's time for some color! (I have no idea why Revell insists on putting these god awful ugly wheels in with their kits, as custom options. I've debated throwing them all in the garbage, but I just know that if I did that, I'd inevitably regret it. The included globs for tires are generally horrible too.)

Cuda primer (2).jpg

Edited by Roadrunner

Looks good so far Kevin, you should have sanded down those wheel arches ,the kit ones are a little big .

You mean flared out too much? I think you're right, but never noticed it until now, so thanks for that. Since this is more or less a straight up OOB effort, I may or may not address this particular issue, but I'll certainly give it some thought. Now that I'm aware of it, it'll probably bother me not to try and fix it, but I won't guarantee that I will. The main thing, is to actually finish something. I've been a member here for almost three years, and haven't completed one single car yet!

Big red.jpg

Slight change in plans here, as I'll now be going with Icy Blue, instead of the SS Blue, as this lighter blue, will allow the "hockey stick" decal to show up better. I'm also still trying to determine if I prefer rallye wheels, or the other wheel that's typically seen.

By "other wheel" are you referring to the Magnum 500 rim?

IIRC when a buyer ordered a 'Cuda with the Hemi option, 15-inch wheels came along for the ride.  Standard were the black, 6-slot "police" wheels with dog-dish hubcaps OR the 15x7 rallye rim.  Chrysler never offered the Magnum 500 type in a 15-inch diameter (as Ford did) so they'd be inappropriate for a stock Hemi Cuda.

And while your at it the back window needs to be addressed too !

I don't really see anything wrong there. What are you referring to?

IIRC when a buyer ordered a 'Cuda with the Hemi option, 15-inch wheels came along for the ride.  Standard were the black, 6-slot "police" wheels with dog-dish hubcaps OR the 15x7 rallye rim.  Chrysler never offered the Magnum 500 type in a 15-inch diameter (as Ford did) so they'd be inappropriate for a stock Hemi Cuda.

On the box cover, there's a blue and white 'Cuda, and it's those wheels that I'm referring to. I probably really shouldn't complain at all, as I may eventually find a use for them, I was just in a really weird mood when I first saw them and typed that comment.

15" steel wheels were standard on Hemi cars but they were not the "6-slot "police" wheels". Those weren't even born yet. The 15 inches were just the heavy duty steel rims that were used on station wagons.

This certainly didn't turn out as nice as I'd hoped, but I can live with it. The metallic paint looks much more "flaky" on this one, than previous attempts, and I have no idea why.

Paint 1 004.jpg

is it testors one coat? This is a well mixed can . all mine turn out this way. I like the flake. I shake it up well. Might not have mixed the Challenger as long. 

Edited by Lizz62

is it testors one coat? This is a well mixed can . all mine turn out this way. I like the flake. I shake it up well. Might not have mixed the Challenger as long. 

Yep, Testors one coat. The can was very low, so much easier to shake and mix, and that may very well be the reason for the overall flakiness. Thanks.

I downloaded a '70 Barracuda/'Cuda sales brochure, but there are still many unanswered questions regarding options, as the brochure is quite vague in some respects. Not that I really need answers, as the whole point of a curbside model is to look good, not necessarily be accurate. I just may start a question thread elsewhere, just to satisfy my curiosity, plus others may find it of interest as well.

I'm pretty familiar with the '70 Challenger since I owned one and if Plymouth followed the Dodge protocols as far as options go, I might be able to help.  IIRC the only thing you couldn't get on a 'Cuda was the goofy "opera" rear window that came with the Challenger's SE package.

I'm pretty familiar with the '70 Challenger since I owned one and if Plymouth followed the Dodge protocols as far as options go, I might be able to help.  IIRC the only thing you couldn't get on a 'Cuda was the goofy "opera" rear window that came with the Challenger's SE package.

Yep, my Challenger brochure(s) answered most of my questions regarding that vehicle. Perhaps I just need to chase down more data on the 'Cuda's.

So far, I've seen several interior differences on what I assume are restored cars, same with the wheel well trim and hood painting, to name but a few.

Yeah, there were some minor cosmetic differences.  And of course, the Challenger's wheelbase was two inches longer.  But I think the mechanical specs regarding powertrain options, brakes, tranny, and rear axle type and gearing were identical.