• Announcements

• General Usage   05/10/2017

If someone is acting badly, either in a forum or a private message, please report it. There are conveniently located buttons for sending the post to the moderators. 

iso monogram quicksilver

7 posts in this topic

Posted

looking for quicksilver or just decals...have stuff to trade or other considerations

Posted

One on ebay right now, but as you likely already know, the price tends to go through the roof at the end of the auction.

Got a preference on condition? For my own Quicksilver project, I've acquired a couple of gluebomb versions along with nearly all of the Bad Actor version of the kit, where I've gleaned most of the parts out of 'em that I need. I'm still on the lookout for the original silver foil lettering kit decals, also.

My slightly out-of-date want list is here, if you have items I need and are going down the gluebomb parts acquisition path.

Posted

billy gooche was the name on the aftermarket decals..his daughter was keeping it going for a while but I didn't see any listings on ebay...for some unknown reason I passed on the set that was for sale in 2016 by them.  don't really want to go glue bomb route as I want to build  box stock with polished bare plastic body-depending on how bad the swirls are.  its interesting how many of the tom daniels kits were very simple with not much detail and others like the troublemaker el camino were much different though it had those awful 2 pc slicks.  about 20 yrs ago I built a reissue troublemaker and used enamel flat black to paint the tread area of the slicks and thay are still sticky...lol.  I checked out your want list and I have nothing except maybe some parts for 60 vette but ill have to dig for them and I may not have them anymore...if I locate them, ill let you know.

Posted

Yep, saw those decal reproductions, but all the versions of his I saw were silver metalflake lettering instead of silver foil, which is why I passed on them. For most anything else that would be ok, but "Quicksilver" just begs to be spelled out in shiny foil. Graphic artist that I am, I can always draw out the panel design and commission someone with an Alps printer to do it with foil print lettering. But I may yet locate a good condition original decal sheet.

Understood on the idea of polished bare plastic, I just acquired my 3rd '60s classic kit in deep flawless colored plastic for the express purpose of only painting the undersides (to eliminate any translucency) and polishing the top surfaces. But judging from the two Quicksilver gluebombs I got with their marbleized-looking swirls, I'm pretty much resigned to having to paint the project with some kind of pearl silver.

Snagged an SMP '60 Vette parts lot off ebay just a day ago with two sets of the wire spoke wheels I wanted, but I still need the roof, sidepipes, engine, and rear wheel opening covers, if you happen to have 'em.

Posted

Yep, saw those decal reproductions, but all the versions of his I saw were silver metalflake lettering instead of silver foil, which is why I passed on them. For most anything else that would be ok, but "Quicksilver" just begs to be spelled out in shiny foil. Graphic artist that I am, I can always draw out the panel design and commission someone with an Alps printer to do it with foil print lettering. But I may yet locate a good condition original decal sheet.

Understood on the idea of polished bare plastic, I just acquired my 3rd '60s classic kit in deep flawless colored plastic for the express purpose of only painting the undersides (to eliminate any translucency) and polishing the top surfaces. But judging from the two Quicksilver gluebombs I got with their marbleized-looking swirls, I'm pretty much resigned to having to paint the project with some kind of pearl silver.

Snagged an SMP '60 Vette parts lot off ebay just a day ago with two sets of the wire spoke wheels I wanted, but I still need the roof, sidepipes, engine, and rear wheel opening covers, if you happen to have 'em.

ugh oh!!  ya shouldn't have let me know you are a graphics designer...lol.  I have a bid on the qs kit on ebay...if I don't win it I will be begging you to draw up the decals and scan the artwork to me thru email...I don't have an alps printer but mine will print on decal paper-just wont print white.  I mite have the engine-ill look n get back to ya.

ive thought about converting a 60 chevy to a qs with the same overall look but more refined but im kinda on a quest to obtain the kits I built as a youngster and rebuild them as I did then...and theres just something about the qs that gets me.

just noticed you r from phoenix-are you a cardinal fan?  im probably the last diehard card fan from missouri

Posted

Decent possibility that I could do the panel graphics. Problem is, what I do that keeps a roof over my head and food on the table is a massive time-eater, and other obligations really wreck my model-building free time.

One way around the silver foil problem is to do decals with the lettering as clear blank 'window' areas, and you first lay down a rectangle of Bare Metal Foil -- perhaps foiling the entire panel area to avoid any smaller rectangle area being seen through a slightly translucent decal ...

Tragedy with this kit is how the plastic swirls. The other side of this gluebomb is the glossiest unpainted plastic I've ever seen, nearly unblemished except for one narrow but noticeable line swirl through it.

Same with me on rebuilding my youth, but with the better skills I have now and the customizing offbeatness I'm somewhat known for.

Nope, Dbacks baseball fan only. Never could get a handle on football. My elderly mother is a super Cards fan, pleased as punch with their preseason win last weekend.

QSilv_panel.thumb.JPG.2677096130d7472a27

Posted

understood...I was working 70 hrs/week up til the day I retired.

if I obtain one I will prob end up painting it.

I usually build so far out of the box the mfg cudda left out the instructions and decals...other than race cars I only have a few replica stock builds...if u have time check out my older under glass posts...I like to build way out stuff.

GOD BLESS YOUT MOTHER...GO CARDS...SUPERBOWL THIS YEAR!!