Model Cars Magazine Forum

Inches to scale conversion help needed

I know this has been covered before but I can't figure it out. Could someone tell me what 312 inches would be in 1/25th scale?? 

Looking to build a stretched frame and need the wheelbase to start it!! Wheelbase is at 312 in.

thanks to anyone that can help me out!!!! I tried to decider it but messed it up and not sure how!!!

As I'm a construction worker I work with scales and blueprints/technichal drawings every day, so it's natural to me, the number after the : or / is the number you divide with if you want to scale down a real measurement to the scale you want it to be, and multiply the measurement from the blueprint with if you want to scale that measurement up to the measurement in the real world.

As I'm a construction worker I work with scales and blueprints/technichal drawings every day, so it's natural to me, the number after the : or / is the number you divide with if you want to scale down a real measurement to the scale you want it to be, and multiply the measurement from the blueprint with if you want to scale that measurement up to the measurement in the real world.

good info to know... I guess I was close to doing it right. I just shouldn't of had the decimal point in there!!!  

OK, show of hands, who remembers the old Rocky and Bullwinkle cartoons? I know I sure do! Moose and squirrel, Boris and Natasha, Sherman and Peabody... ah the memories. Heck, my favorite was Mr. Knowitall, what was yours?

I'll be 10-7

Sadly I am old enough to remember those.  Also the classic Warner Bros stuff.  Still enjoy those old cartoons when I see them, I won't watch the new stuff.

Warren,one of the handiest tools I use for scratch building is an aluminum ruler called"Murphey' s Rule lll".I bought it decades ago and I understand is is no longer available.It has 1/25 measurements in feet and inches on one edge and 1/43 on the other.If you PM me your mailing address I will gladly send you a photocopy in the mail.

I know this has been covered before but I can't figure it out. Could someone tell me what 312 inches would be in 1/25th scale?? 

Looking to build a stretched frame and need the wheelbase to start it!! Wheelbase is at 312 in.

thanks to anyone that can help me out!!!! I tried to decider it but messed it up and not sure how!!!

Other than the great help most have already given you Kerry, there is one addition no one mentioned. Though the measurement that you needed was already in inches, just in case you would need to find out what something measured in feet would be, don't forget to convert it to inches first for the measurement. A good example would be making a 48' trailer in 1/25th scale and this is how I find out the measurement. 

48 feet X 12 = 576 inches

Then just follow the others advice for what it would be in scale. 

576 divided by 25 = 23.04 inches in scale. 

Other than the great help most have already given you Kerry, there is one addition no one mentioned. Though the measurement that you needed was already in inches, just in case you would need to find out what something measured in feet would be, don't forget to convert it to inches first for the measurement. A good example would be making a 48' trailer in 1/25th scale and this is how I find out the measurement. 

48 feet X 12 = 576 inches

Then just follow the others advice for what it would be in scale. 

576 divided by 25 = 23.04 inches in scale. 

that's good info too!!!!!! Great to have, I'm going to print that out to have with the other!!!!!! Thanks tor the info!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Since there are 25.4 millimeters in one inch that comes very close to being 1/25 scale.  So of you use a metric ruler and you want 312 inches in 1/25 scale just measure off 312 millimeters and there you have it.  The error is not really noticeable unless you are an exactness fanatic.

For example: 312 inches divided by 25.4 millimeters is 12.283 inches.  312 inches divided by 25 is 12.48 inches.  So the overall difference in a long length like that is only 0.2 inches.  Most 1/25 scale stuff is a lot shorter than 312 inches so the difference gets even less.  Example:  Most trucks have a maximum width of 102 inches.  Divide that by 25 and you get 4.08 inches.  Divide 102 by 25.4 and you get 4.01 inches.  so the difference is only 7 one hundredths of an inch.  Can't measure off much closer than that!  That is why I use a metric ruler so there is really no conversion necessary at that scale.  Remember:  It only works for 1/25 scale.:)

Since there are 25.4 millimeters in one inch that comes very close to being 1/25 scale.  So of you use a metric ruler and you want 312 inches in 1/25 scale just measure off 312 millimeters and there you have it.  The error is not really noticeable unless you are an exactness fanatic.

For example: 312 inches divided by 25.4 millimeters is 12.283 inches.  312 inches divided by 25 is 12.48 inches.  So the overall difference in a long length like that is only 0.2 inches.  Most 1/25 scale stuff is a lot shorter than 312 inches so the difference gets even less.  Example:  Most trucks have a maximum width of 102 inches.  Divide that by 25 and you get 4.08 inches.  Divide 102 by 25.4 and you get 4.01 inches.  so the difference is only 7 one hundredths of an inch.  Can't measure off much closer than that!  That is why I use a metric ruler so there is really no conversion necessary at that scale.  Remember:  It only works for 1/25 scale.:)

thank you Charles!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

OK, show of hands, who remembers the old Rocky and Bullwinkle cartoons? I know I sure do! Moose and squirrel, Boris and Natasha, Sherman and Peabody... ah the memories. Heck, my favorite was Mr. Knowitall, what was yours?

I'll be 10-7

One of my favorite pieces of dialogue from that show:

Rocket J. Squirrel: "Bullwinkle, do you know what an A-bomb is?"
Bullwinkle: "Sure. A bomb is what some people call our show."
Rocky:"I don't think that's very funny."
Bullwinkle: "Neither do they, apparently."