Model Cars Magazine Forum

"General Ferrari" Charger/Enzo hybrid

Crazybuilder

This build was inspired by two model kits that i had no idea what to do with. A General Lee kit, and a Ferrari Enzo kit. I decided to mix them together to make what we have here. A rat rod, Ferrari-powered General Lee.gen_f1.thumb.JPG.67fdadb47cc1a5024df75ac

At first, I planned out the build with a sketch

image.thumb.jpeg.783ddf30c0c133ef71e6553

I made a custom Ferrari style taillight set up using the taillights from the Ferrari kit, and scratch building the rest. I also cut out the rear valence from the body of the charger and replaced it with  a piece cut out from the Ferrari's rear bumper, and fit the Enzo's exhaust tips through the new valence.gen_f3.thumb.JPG.882d179c907ee05988623a8gen_f2.thumb.JPG.969d2d0c61d4f7dcb64a054The engine was a hassle to make fit into the engine bay from the charger, which called for a lot of cutting and sanding on the Ferrari's parts. On top of just getting the engine into the car, i wanted it to poke out of the hood, somewhat like a shaker hood. This also caused a lot of trouble with getting the engine centred, and finding the right height so that the engine has just the right amount of poke through the hood.gen_f4.thumb.JPG.949ddd64e3934275bb1e1begen_f6.thumb.JPG.322b49f8a07ffa5167df59bThis was also the first patina i had ever done, but i am very pleased with the outcome. i wanted it to look like it was mostly bare metal, aside from some parts like the fenders, drivers door and hood, which i painted differently to get more of a "junkyard" look. for the weathering on the decals, i just sanded them down while they were still on the sheet until they looked faded enough, then put them on as usual. As for the paint, i first painted it black, then brown, then silver. Then i sanded away, revealing the colours to create a weathered effect.

A big part of the Ferrari's design that i wanted to incorporate was the side vents, which was definitely an intimidating task, having to cut a hole in the body of the charger and all, but it turned out great. gen_f7.thumb.JPG.6002537868ad07853b40bd1I also made the interior with a lot of pieces from the Ferrari kit. I cut up the charger's dashboard in order to fit the Ferrari's right into it, used the Ferrari steering wheel and seats, and scratch built panels to cover the back seats for more of a two-seater, supercar look. It's hard to get pictures of the interior now that its all assembled, but here it is while it was still a work in progress, along with the best shot i could get of it now that it's finished.charger_model_8.thumb.jpg.c4f21e37960c2echarger_model_9.thumb.jpg.45c2c1302baf7agen_f5.thumb.JPG.34a6b95e4df56e1f6fa5d3eThis was a somewhat challenging build, but was also a lot of fun. Thanks for checking it out!

• 1 month later...

Wild! I like the concept drawing; judging by the finished product you had a vision and stuck to it!

The interior mods would have gone unnoticed by me had you not pointed them out and shown close-ups of the dash etc. Must have taken a lot of fitting and testing, but in the end it looks surprisingly natural, well done!

If it were mine...I'd put it on some black wheels :D

• 1 month later...