Model Cars Magazine Forum

72 Roadrunner Kitbash

Smitty

This is a model I've had since 1972 when I was 12 years old. Some how it stayed with me all these years, so I decided to go all out and try to make it something special. It's an original MPC 72 Roadrunner with an AMT '69 roadrunner chassis and engine under it. The exhaust tips are from Missing Link Resin.Somewhere over the years the kit hood was lost so I had to replace it with a resin piece that needed some work to get to fit. I'm still not completely satisfied with it, but I'm very thankful the model has a hood! I'm hoping to devise a way to attach the hood to the hinges in a removable way so that I can display it with the hood open or closed. The paint is Tamiya TS-12 out of the can with Testors wet look clear. The interior is painted with Model Master black chrome with a touch of silver mixed in. In hindsight I think I was trying a little too hard to make this one perfect and the 'fun factor' started to fade a little, but I explored several new techniques and learned a lot in the process. 

Anyway, it will always be a favorite and I'm glad I still have it!

DSC_0063.jpg

DSC_0066.jpg

DSC_001.jpg

DSC_0071.jpg

DSC_0072.jpg

RRInt.jpg

Thanks Mr. Mopar, and you're right, I completely forgot about the overspray on the chassis! Yes this is a pretty rare one. I built it when I was a kid, but never painted it back then so it was in pretty good condition when I started.