Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '56 Ford F-100 "Demon II"-Spoiler Shots-04/13

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 8:33 AM, crazyjim said:

Looking good.

Thanks Jim

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 6:53 PM, slusher said:

Awesome Joe! Keep the pictures coming brother!

Thanks Carl. Trying to keep the progress moving. All the work that's left is stuff that takes time.

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 4:59 PM, KWT said:

Awesome.. looking good, Joe!

'Preciate that Jeremy.

Ok folks , I wet sanded out the dust particles in the painted hood this morning and dug out the flame masks.

I chose the third set down from the top to use on this project. So I applied the mask to a spare piece of plastic and broke out the Alclad Polished Aluminum and sprayed a very light coat onto a test subject. Although there's a little camera movement in the following photos, they still depict what I'm trying to accomplish here which is a subtle "ghost flame" in which the finish will vary with different lighting against the black base coat.

Under direct light:

and under an indirect light:

I'm really looking forward to seeing how this is going to look under a good gloss coat. :wink:

• 3 weeks later...

Well..............now for the rough part..............but there's a good ending.

Back on the mend after a complete disaster. I just simply couldn't believe what had happened as I was applying the gloss coat on this. One one hand it was the picture perfect finish with maybe a touch up of wet sanding and polishing here and there.................on the other............a mess!!! Somehow the Alclad had managed to get ALL OVER the cab and hood. The only thing I can think of is that during the fading process where I tried to polish the Alclad in which to achieve a subtle effect (which was going completely my way) I managed to get it all over the place but couldn't see it. You don't have to look very close to see it.

kn5FAI.jpg

2WQ24J.jpg

I didn't see this earlier but this "Wet Look" gloss is definitely the bomb. Notice the reflection writing on the light bulb on the hood. And this is with NO polish.

GrRWOI.jpg

So..........I was pondering.......... icon_hmm.GIF . My initial thought was to dunk it in brake fluid to strip the paint and start completely over. But the paint layers are thin enough to where I could shoot another thin layer of black on and start over......................so....................I did!! Man did the finish ever go on so much smoother than the first go round.

Here we are back at square one with an even smoother base coat............stay tuned.................flames coming back up!

UR4vXj.jpg

Another foul up and a recovery to add to the mix. I was working with the grille and headlamps and decided to use some clear nail polish to adhere the headlight lenses to the buckets. If you've ever given this any thought..................PASS!!!! It quickly deteriorated/ stripped the chrome underneath!!
Kit #3 had to be acquired to fix this. I started over and this time used some Tamiya acrylic clear to adhere them. I'll call this a "save".

The disaster piece is on the bottom.icon_bagoverhead.GIF Live and learn I guess:icon_bored.GIF

rzDQUZ.jpg

8 hours ago, slusher said:

We learn everyday something new brother. Love the shine! Keep up the great work...

Thanks Carl!

Well there was a big set of thunderstorms moving into the area starting at around 10 p.m. and ending at 3 a.m. so I needed to act pretty quick tonight so I could apply my gloss coat after reapplying the flames this morning. I prepped everything this morning and made sure to clean my paint jar out today at work. So I told my sweet wife and son to give me 30 minutes tonight to accomplish all this. I had one minor hiccup with the Alclad in the paint but think I can overcome it.

N E wayz ..............I couldn't be happier with the outcome and the flames came out EXACTLY how I wanted them to this time. Bold up front and fading at the end of the flames.

Taaa Daaaa........back on track now.

17 hours ago, KWT said:

Wow... Looking sweet. Dang fine job bro.

Thanks Jeremy!

14 hours ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

Looking Awesome! I'm glad you recovered so well. I thought that I was the only one who had paint disasters. :D

LOL! I have 'em ALL the time. :o Thanks Brian.

4 hours ago, Impalow said:

Looks fantastic joe!    Nice recovery!

Thanks Eric!

Ok folks. I shot the rear wheels with a coat of Molotow and I've gotta say that I'm impressed. I'll be letting this dry for the next 48 hours so when I come back I'll shoot the clear coat of Spaz Stix on to seal them off.

The decal on the bed flooring turned out pretty dang good too and laid down nicely over the molded in detail.

Edited by mustang1989

Ok folks , after two hours of working on it  I've got this thing within putting distance. I've got everything done but the tail lights and rear bumper................and of course the final polish and finish up. :wink:

With that being said I figured, "What tha heck" and decided to post a couple of spoiler shots.

9 hours ago, slusher said:

Looking killer Joe, flames are perfect!

Thanks Carl.

OK folks! Stick a fork in 'er. She's done and will be over in the "Under Glass" section. I'd like to thank you all who did for following along and for all of your support. I think this one took me in the neighborhood of about 6-7 months benchtime to complete (accounting for 3 month break).