Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dirty Donnie's "71 Charger

ranma

Rick, I think it's a straight reissue of their '71 Charger just with more decals. I recall building one years ago and don't remember any issues with it...

Looks like a nice color.

Edited by KWT

Rick...

I did a full buildup of this one in the other magazine, circa 2002 or so, with a second follow-up article in their then-annual magazine.  There are some front suspension/wheel placement issues with the original kit that I showed how to fix, but I do not know if these were corrected in the current release.  (I presume these mags are still available in their back issue dept.) 

One issue with the original kit that was corrected in the Dirty Donny reissue is the R/T decals.  The original kit had an incorrect "hump" in the R/T side stripes, it was missing the R/T door "gill" decal inserts, and the hood decal had a too-large cutout for R/T hood insert.  All these decal issues are resolved in the Dirty Donny reissue.  

A couple of other heads-up - the kit's front split bench with armrest was available on the '71 Super Bee, but not the '71 R/T.  The R/T was factory equipped only with bucket seats, with either the center (separate) seat with armrest, or console with floor shift.  You can make the buckets from the split bench, and use a console from your other Mopar kits (this was also shown in the article). 

Second, the kit comes with the standard equipment manual outside driver's side mirror.  This was the standard spec for an R/t, but 99% of the ones that came out of the factory door that year had the dual remote racing mirror option, either in chrome or (selected) body color paints.  Again, your Mopar parts bin can help here. 

Other than those comments, it's a good kit - well worth your effort.   Good luck and enjoy  the build....TIM