Model Cars Magazine Forum

What's everyone's favorite red oxide primer?

For an actual primer, or for a finish coat for something like a rat rod or beater?

I have a big can of "red" primer, but I forget what kind it is. Might be Rustoleum. I'll try to remember next time I dive into the Snakepit.

For a ratty rod finish, I like Model Master Rust, cut with lacquer thinner and airbrushed.

Hi Monsignor Snake,

Good questions.  More for like a rat rod sorta thing.

Thinking about my next concept.

Yah, I did a '32 Ford in Model Master Rust a while back and it looked pretty good. Not a rat rod, just a primered early/mid '60s street runner.

Yah, I did a '32 Ford in Model Master Rust a while back and it looked pretty good. Not a rat rod, just a primered early/mid '60s street runner.

Hi,

Yep, the kinda look I'm going for as well.  I'll look for that paint.

Thank you!

BTW I looked for that Tamiya red oxide and while it's most likely awesome, costs a grip and not easily shipped to the states.

I needed the red oxide primer on my chassis an using actual primer was too thick. So I was told by a guy in the store with me as I looked for an alternative to mix model masters leather with red, I forget for sure but like 4:1. It looks pefect for the red oxide. 

19956198_856978551126915_1045847961399517833_o.jpg

Hi,

Wow both pictures look great.

I think using MM rust and thinning it with lacquer thinner will work well for me.

For me, the best lacquer thinner is Tamiya.  Seems like hardware store variety here in Cali has changed and sorta sux now.

Edited by aurfalien

I needed the red oxide primer on my chassis an using actual primer was too thick. So I was told by a guy in the store with me as I looked for an alternative to mix model masters leather with red, I forget for sure but like 4:1. It looks pefect for the red oxide.

Yeah, MM Leather isn't far from their Rust. The Rust is a little redder but I wouldn't hesitate to do a rat-ish rod in straight Leather, either. Or, you might want to add a dash of MM or Testor Flat Red to either the Rust or the Leather.

I'm not sure there's any kind of "standard" color for red oxide primer. I've seen all sorts of variations. Play around and you'll come up with a shade you like.

Hey, I just remembered I have a couple relevant pics on the Magic Box. Here's straight MM Rust playing the part of "red oxide primer" on my low-buck '65 Chevelle Modified Production dragster.

AMT65Chevelle94.thumb.jpg.091ceca16607b6

AMT65Chevelle96.thumb.jpg.e8776f717ca9a3

Edited by Snake45

• 2 years later...

Rustoleum red oxide primer is a nearly perfect match for the red oxide used by Chevrolet way back when. We had a 69 Chevelle in the shop recently, and when I stripped the interior out, I had some very nice primer areas untouched since the day it was sprayed. I also had on hand a quart of Rustoleum "red oxide primer for rusty metal" and it was as close as you could have had custom mixed. In fact it was the only red oxide we had on hand that was close! Most are too brownish; light on the red, heavy on the oxide I guess...

On 8/17/2017 at 7:48 AM, aurfalien said:

Hi,

Yep, the kinda look I'm going for as well.  I'll look for that paint.

Thank you!

BTW I looked for that Tamiya red oxide and while it's most likely awesome, costs a grip and not easily shipped to the states.

I picked up a can at the LHS a while back, but haven't used it. Yes, it was something like $15. Figured I'd use it for the exposed chassis primer on my next Mustang.