Model Cars Magazine Forum

Gluing parts

At my age, 65, my hands are not quite as steady as they once were. I am currently working on a '58 vette, and the front bumpers are quite smudged with glue.  Does anyone have a solution for gluing small parts together so as not to get globs of glue on everything? I have tried toothpicks, small paint brushes, etc, but none of these seem to do the trick.

As someone who is two years your senior, I appreciate your problem.  The solution is not a method but a glue.  There are a number of water soluble glues out there that work very well for holding small parts.  Zap Formula 560, Microscale Kristal Klear are just a couple.  These are white glues(PVA) that dry clear but clean up with water.  Just a quick swipe with a wet Qtip and you are done. They are not as quick or as strong as super glues(CA) but will do just fine on bumpers or mirrors.  I like the Formula 560 because it gets tacky very quickly and will hold the part without you having to hold it in place for a long time.  By the way, Formula 560 is often referred to as "canopy glue" as it was formulated for holding R/C aircraft canopies without getting all messy.  Because of this you will have to venture into the R/C section of your hobby store to find it.  My other favorite glue is also in the R/C section.  That is Polyzap.  A nonfogging CA that seems to last a long time without kicking off.  Good luck and I hope this helps.

Edited by Pete J.