Model Cars Magazine Forum

Alclad Chrome and Box Stock Classes

Curiosity Question... Is striping the chrome, sanding mold lines and then using alclad chrome allowed? 

Ive been dared to build something box stock, which will be a struggle for me... but once its done, I will want to take it to some contests.  This has become my process for everything else, but Ive never heard if this is "legal" for the box stock classes.

Edited by Impalow

My understanding of "box stock" is anything can be done as far as paint and body work goes. Sanding seams, filling, smoothing things out and painting. I don't know why painting the bumpers would be any different. if I am wrong or mislead I am sure I will be corrected. :)

Mark

Alclad is a paint process, so it is as allowable as painting the body (and removing mold lines).

You might want to try the Molotow liquid chrome; it sprays much more like paint (even though it's an ink), and covers any base color. No jumping though hoops for a gloss black base, or putting on too much. And the final results generally are better than the most perfect application of Alclad. You can buy a pen to test it out, and open it up carefully (find Youtube how-to video), and see how it shoots through your airbrush. 

Once it has dried thoroughly it's also much more durable than Alclad or Spaz Stix, which I find superior to Alclad; though Alclad makes an incredible black chrome that's something I've used a lot lately for modern wheels. If you like the Molotow for spraying, purchase a refill container. It goes a long way as it's very pigment-dense. Didn't need any thinning for me. The refills just have hit the US distribution channels in the past couple of days, soon to be available just about anywhere the pens are sold.