Model Cars Magazine Forum

1935 Auburn Speedster - The Abysmal Lindberg/Pyro Kit Completely Reworked

Plastheniker

ohawow! Amazing built Jürgen.

After all words of writing here...terrible words about the kit...looking on your incredible bodywork...

i have the same kit as a present from my brother (he said "as a challenge for me") on the bench to built because i loved the car in "Remmington Steele" yeeeeears ago in TV. Now i'm a Little bit afraid, to get a presentable result

Edited by Dominik

Thanks for all replies!

The phrase"making a silk purse our of a sow's ear" was never truer than her.  Congratulations on a fantastic job!

What did you end up using for the wheels and tires?

IMO compromising when looking for wheels of the correct size changes the proportions of model cars more obviously than other compromises.

Because I could not find tyres of the right dimensions I made them from styrene with separate whitewall insets which made painting easier.

I modified suitable rims from my parts box and laced the spokes as shown here:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=77554

That really is beautiful, Jurgen. I can see why the original would have inspired you to want to get it right, but it looks like a truly mammoth task, with a stellar result at the end. I don't suppose you took some moulds from the final body before building the rest did you? ;-P

Good to see you back again!

All the best,

M.

Indeed, especially as my casting skills are very limited, just sufficient for casting rims or tires. Such an intricate shape like this would certainly require a true casting expert.

Thanks for the latest comments!

Very fine indeed...but that's what we've come to expect from you.

I always knew this horrible old mess could make a beautiful model with enough applied (and highly skilled) effort, but all I've ever used it for is the basis for customs, and a parts source.

Your work here is the inspiration I've needed to make a pleasing stocker from it. And thanks for showing us all so much about how you achieved it.

Bill, for those interested here is a lateral view of the body shell before and after reworking. Together with the topview picture already posted it gives a better idea what has to be done than many words.

comp_VergleichSeitenansicht130-vi.jpg

Bill, for those interested here is a lateral view of the body shell before and after reworking. Together with the topview picture already posted it gives a better idea what has to be done than many words.

THANK YOU SIR. I'll file those shots for future reference, 'cause I REALLY want to do that. Thanks again.  :D