• Announcements

• General Usage   05/10/2017

If someone is acting badly, either in a forum or a private message, please report it. There are conveniently located buttons for sending the post to the moderators. 
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Monogram 1/32 scale SSP reissues: what tires are included?

4 posts in this topic

Posted

I've got a couple of the old Monogram 1/24 scale Kurtis-Kraft midget kits (the ones based on the slot car body, not the larger PC-1 kit).  One is missing the front axle, and with it, both front tires.  Both the slot car and non-powered shelf model versions used 1/32 scale slot car tires.  Revell issued several of the slot car body-based kits in the SSP program, including one or two 1/32 scale kits.  The 1/24 scale kits were altered to use available kit tires, but what did they put into the 1/32 scale kits?  Someone is repopping the old slot car tires in silicone, but those are cast in open molds leaving the inside sidewalls without any detail.  Any information would be appreciated--

Posted

The 1/32-scale kits based on the Monogram slot bodies weren't reissued in SSP. About 15 years ago a slot-car company (think it was MRRC) released some of the 1/32 Monogram bodies in their line of slot cars...bought one of the Chaparral 2s and if I remember right it used metal wheels and MRRC-supplied tires. Later, Revell-Monogram used some of the Monogram 1/32 bodies for their own slot-car program. For sure they ran the Chaparral 2 again and the Ferrari 275P and 250 GTO ('64) were offered in unassembled form. Don't know it for a fact, but do not believe these used a reproduction of the old Monogram tires.

Closest thing I know of to the old Monogram 1/32 slot tires are the tires in the Revell Surfite. They don't fit the old kit parts as is, but they may work with modification to the inner and outer wheels. Never compared them to the old slot tires, but have you looked at the tires in the new-tool Revell midgets?

Posted (edited)

I believe these are the Monogram tires that came on the Midget . I don't know if they're GOODYEARS or FIRESTONES...I suggest you contact the seller first as he does offer numerous different tires sets.   http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-32-URETHANE-SLOT-CAR-TIRES-2pr-fit-Vintage-Revell-Monogram-Cox-K-D-Strombecker-/161442620498?hash=item2596bae452:m:mkRvGf_zpFWrzoQ2Aafjtqw

Edited by Pete L.

Posted

Thanks for the replies!  The urethane tires pictured are indeed copies of the 1/32 scale tires used on the 1/24 scale midget.  This seller is a different one from the one(s) I have seen, who state in their listings that the tires are cast in open molds.  That process leaves the inner sidewalls rough and without any detail.  That's okay for a 1/32 scale slot car, but on this thing the whole tire is out in the open.  I asked this seller about his tires, but have not gotten a reply yet.  If he doesn't reply, I'd assume his tires are cast the same way. 

Looking at the two cars I have, one is missing HALF of the front axle while the other is missing the whole thing.  So between two cars, I've got four rear wheels and tires, and one front.  I'll probably hang on awhile longer to see if I can't run down an unused set of tires. 

I hadn't looked at the Surfite tires because I've only got one of those.  The recent Revell midget wheels and tires would work too, but I'm not going to part out one of those to fix another, inferior version of the same subject matter.  I should start looking at built 1/32 scale snap kits, maybe there is something usable there.  I think I've got one tire from the old AMT All-Stars Indy roadster kit.  If I had one of each size tire from that, maybe I'd cut some tread detail into them and do some resin casting.  I've got to cast front wheels anyway.