• Announcements

• General Usage   05/10/2017

If someone is acting badly, either in a forum or a private message, please report it. There are conveniently located buttons for sending the post to the moderators. 

Futurista

22 posts in this topic

Posted

Yup. I'm looking for a Monogram Futurista model kit. They were $1.50 in '65. Shoulda, coulda.

Posted

One of our local club members has one that needs to be taken apart so that I can make molds and make resin parts of this kit.

Posted

Never even heard of that one!  Show Rod?

David S.

Posted (edited)

0OBjOU58.jpg

A Darryl Starbird creation powered by a VW engine.  I prefer the Cosma Ray myself.

epMcDIb9.jpg

Here is a better photo.

Edited by Greg Wann

Posted

Hang in there, Don.  As Greg said, it's in the works and as soon as I get the master all cleaned up, Greg will probably cast it and add it to his Cosma Ray in his Starbird Collection of resin casts.  Blame me for the delay, but it's in the works!

FYI - It was only offered as a kit once . . . rare find and costs three figures if you find an original kit.  Greg's resin kit won't cost that much and will be his usual OBB (outstanding-to-beyond-belief) quality!

Posted

I managed to find one on Evilbay about 7 years ago. it had been started ,but all there at a good price. I even made a hobby shop display.

Hey Greg! How are you doin?

f2.jpg

f1.jpg

Posted (edited)

Well, I am doing somewhat OK.  Looking at having kidney surgery on the 5th of October.  I will be off work for awhile.

WOW!  Is it OK if I borrow your photos?  This project doesn't really blow my kilt up like the Cosma Ray, but your display is very commendable.  If I could copy the display it would make my kit sell for more money.  I have been waiting patiently for Danno to do the dirty work.

Edited by Greg Wann

Posted

Well, I am doing somewhat OK.  Looking at having kidney surgery on the 5th of October.  I will be off work for awhile.

WOW!  Is it OK if I borrow your photos?  This project doesn't really blow my kilt up like the Cosma Ray, but your display is very commendable.  If I could copy the display it would make my kit sell for more money.  I have been waiting patiently for Danno to do the dirty work.

Hey Greg, Sorry to hear about the kidneys. It seems we all have problems anymore.

I'll email you the artwork for the display and yesmyou can use the photos. Do you need the instructions ,too?

Posted

Thank you, John.  Yes, the instructions would be nice too.  Now, if I could just sell a hundred of them for a thousand bucks apiece!  Just kidding....well, sort of.

Posted

I don't know if the instructions would help much. They're the old Monogram 'photo' instructions ,and I thought they were kind of hard to figure out in so,e places.

Posted (edited)

A repop sounds interesting.

futurista1copy-vi.jpg

futurista2copy-vi.jpg

futurista3copy-vi.jpg

futurista4copy-vi.jpg

futurista5copy-vi.jpg

futurista6copy-vi.jpg

Edited by wisdonm

Posted

I bought a few of them over the years in hopes of collecting enough parts to build one (1) decent unit. 

Here's of my "parts cars".

IMG_0276.JPG

Posted (edited)

Hang in there, Don.  As Greg said, it's in the works and as soon as I get the master all cleaned up, Greg will probably cast it and add it to his Cosma Ray in his Starbird Collection of resin casts.  Blame me for the delay, but it's in the works!

FYI - It was only offered as a kit once . . . rare find and costs three figures if you find an original kit.  Greg's resin kit won't cost that much and will be his usual OBB (outstanding-to-beyond-belief) quality!

Thank you, Dan.  I do appreciate your vote of confidence.

Edited by Greg Wann

Posted (edited)

Thank you, Dan.  I do appreciate your vote of confidence.

You've worked hard to earn it and your products consistently attest to it!

That's why we've always called you "The Master Caster!"

Edited by Danno

Posted (edited)

:wub:  YES, I am.  Moving to a two acre property with a separate air conditioned shop is helpful.  Soon it will have a full bathroom, kitchen and storage room added inside.  A toilet will be a plus.  When you start getting old, it's hard to keep the mud in.  You know what I mean.  The house is a bit far of a walk for me and timing can be an issue for some tissue! LOL

Once the remodel has been completed I can host meetings and build sessions out in the shop.  There will be ample valet parking.

Edited by Greg Wann

Posted

FYI ~~ Here's an interesting little tidbit about the Monogram kit:  As depicted above, the kit was molded in yellow.  The 1:1 was never yellow.  It was pearl white, and Darryl expected the kit would appear molded in white.  Monogram thought the kit would display ~ and therefore, SELL ~ better in a brighter, more noticeable color.  Hence, the kit came out in yellow. 

Posted

A repop sounds interesting.

futurista1copy-vi.jpg

futurista2copy-vi.jpg

futurista3copy-vi.jpg

futurista4copy-vi.jpg

futurista5copy-vi.jpg

futurista6copy-vi.jpg

WOW!  Thank you for posting this.  Better get busy, Dan.

Posted

I am fortunate that I have 2 models of the Futurista; one in factory molded yellow and one that is painted white pearl, like the 1:1 car and 'still' under construction. I have thought about selling the yellow one but shipping is difficult across the border, slow and expensive and prone to damage :( 

Futurista Monogram1966 white 001.JPG

Futurista 001 - 150.JPG

Posted

Never even heard of that one!  Show Rod?

David S.

101_4385.jpg

Posted

That's one krazy kustom kar there!!  Is that one yours Dave?

David S.

Posted

That's one krazy kustom kar there!!  Is that one yours Dave?

David S.

yep. I have all of starbird's stuff ,and just about all of the show cars .

Posted (edited)

yep. I have all of starbird's stuff ,and just about all of the show cars .

im gonna pearl coat it one day.

101_4826.jpg

000_0135.jpg

101_4870.jpg

101_4384.jpg

101_4371.jpg

101_4325.jpg

000_0320.jpg

Edited by Lizz62