Model Cars Magazine Forum

The diesels here were only in the very early ones, 81-83 I think. After that, it was the flat 4 gas engine only. That wasn't enough jam for me, so I put in the engine from a wrekced 2005 Jetta TDI. Regeared the transmission and added a larger turbo and intercooler. Made for a very fun truck! Should have added power steering while I was at it.

Great work Patrick! Looks ready for Newquay. How did you get on with prepping the resin body for painting? I haven't used a resin body before and wondered how it compared with styrene when it comes to getting the paint on.

The diesels here were only in the very early ones, 81-83 I think. After that, it was the flat 4 gas engine only. That wasn't enough jam for me, so I put in the engine from a wrekced 2005 Jetta TDI. Regeared the transmission and added a larger turbo and intercooler. Made for a very fun truck! Should have added power steering while I was at it.

Yes I can imagine how heavy the steering was although most of the weight was at the back!

Yes I can imagine how heavy the steering was although most of the weight was at the back!

It was especially cumbersome, as when I put on the Mercedes wheels, I went with a much wider tire. Made it all that much more difficult to turn. Ah well, it was still fun.

Someone needs to make a transkit of that generation!

Yeah, I have a couple of these in the stash, but my scratchbuilding skills are nowhere near the point where I'd be happy with it!

OK but just go onto YouTube as I do and ask what you want to see built and you'll be surprised what comes up! I save all manner of plastic things I see in normal day to day living and think of what I can use things for. Get an old kit and some spares you've saved and see what you can create. It took me a while to try a few things and initially got measurements wrong for example but I persevered and am still learning at 69!

The Safari windows don't have any instructions so I went onto YouTube to see how they fit the real ones, that sorted it!

Edited by PatW

I like it Patrick !

The aftermarket detailing really sets it off !

The only thing I would change would be the curved ends of the popsicle sticks, and maybe split them in half,....

Nice work Cheers

Yes try that out when you build up something similar, we all have different ideas, but need to try them out.