Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius Trailers

I  was  at  the  Virginia  Shoot Out  last  week end  and  learned from one of the   vendors  the  Moebius   Trailers  have  been  discontinued      please  tell me  this  isn't  true    if  so  I  will have  to  start  looking  for a  few  more   and a  couple  of  LoneStars also

Doesn't really surprise me as the trailers have been out for a while, and I don't think they were huge sellers.  Good sellers, yes, but not huge.  Moebius has been pretty quiet on the "Big Rig" front; so I wonder if their foray into Class 8 truck models is over.

I hope this isn't true either, and if so it is a very dumb move on Moebius' part in my opinion! It seems as if everyone here has at least one of each style and probably more than that. I know personally I have 3 of each, and if this is true I'm going to go scarf up all of the at least 8 to 10 more I know are sitting on shelves at various shops in my area! 

As for more Intertrashinals, if Moebius is not finished in the Class 8 market I would rather see more modern equipment from Freightliner, Peterbilt, and Kenworth instead. Don't get me wrong, the Lonestar is a nice truck and the Prostar was a no brainer since it shares mostly everything but the hood with the Lonestar, but the only one of the two I bought was the Lonestar. The Prostar never appealed to me mainly because I don't build fleet style trucks unless it is something I have actually driven and the only reason I would like to see a Freightliner Cascadia to build my current fleet ride. 

I bought both the Lonestar and Prostar, both the reefer and dry goods trailers and several of the truck wheel sets and I hope Moebius not are done with trucks.
There are several more modern trucks I would like to see as kits, I agree with the Freightliner Cascadia, a  more modern KW W900, T660-680-700-2000, Pete 379-389, 386, 387 and 579 to mention some.

I hope this isn't so! Realistically, they have been out for a long time so I would not be surprised if they have been discontinued. I hope they were a good seller for Moebius. I know I bought over 60 of those reefer kits to use the suspension and wheels to complete the flatbed kits I was making.

According to Moebius Models, all of the their ventures into big rig models were successful; Trucks and trailers. Which means they broke even and made money! As far as being discontinued, the way models and virtually any product for that matter are marketed, manufactures make a single run on several runs of an item. Once those batches are sold out, another run is not made until a large enough demand warrants them. It wouldn't make sense to invest tens of thousands of dollars in tooling for a model and not use them in the future to make more money in their investment.

Moebius Models assured me they are committed to offering more big rig truck kits in the future. However, they said tooling costs have risen since their original truck and trailer kit projects were "backed - up" (their word) with projects from their other line of Sci Fi kits. They said truck kits "eat - up" (again, their word) significant amounts of money of their budget for new tooling of projects and they couldn't say exactly when the would be offering any new truck and trailer kits.

So, all of those that said they were going to buy the truck and trailer kits before they announced them, great! Those that procrastinated or just discovered those kits, better luck next time!

Edited by chuckyr

I have been lobbying Moebius to come out with a modern flat trailer. Something like a Great Dane Freedom spread axle aluminum example. They already have the Hendrickson air suspension tooling. Moebius mentioned that they would like to get out a super singles wheel and tire kit. This would suit the flatbed trailer perfectly depending if the super singles kit was for a trailer or tractor.

Italeri is due to reissue the Freightliner FLD120 later this year. If they stick to what their catalog included earlier this year.

• 1 year later...

Since this thread began, Moebius has offered two sets of Super Single tires for their International Prostar and Lonestar trucks and their Great Dane van trailers:

mmk1018-500x500.jpgmmk1017-500x500.jpg

Moebius is doing another run of all of their truck and trailer kits.  

Moebius has announced that they plan to offer a a new trailer kit at DAAM show according to this thread.  

I've heard it will available late 2019 or early 2020.

DSC_0715-vi.jpg

Edited by chuckyr