Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Washes", to bring out details, make my own?

the thing that I run in to using acrylics, is that sometimes the surface tension will not allow it to flow as nicely as enamels. If you use turpentine to thin black enamel, you get a nice wash that has some ability for clean up, and flows well. Another option, and the one I now use the most, is Mig Ammo washes, then more if need with Turpentine.

the thing that I run in to using acrylics, is that sometimes the surface tension will not allow it to flow as nicely as enamels. If you use turpentine to thin black enamel, you get a nice wash that has some ability for clean up, and flows well. Another option, and the one I now use the most, is Mig Ammo washes, then more if need with Turpentine.

what do you use for "clean up" when using the enamel washes?  I don't use as many washes as I'd like because cleaning them off of an unwanted area is tricky.  I have the same struggle when using The Detailer.

I use make up applicators from Walgreens to clean off The Detailer while it's still wet.  If The Detailer is dry, I wet the applicator to clean.  Make up applicators are like Q-Tips with 1 end flat and round while the the other end is pointed.  Several places carry the style but I prefer the Walgreens brand.  They're also excellent for burnishing BMF.  Here's a link

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1920&bih=916&tbm=shop&q=walgreens+makeup+applicators+studio+35+beauty&oq=walgreens+makeup+applicators+studio+35+beauty&gs_l=psy-ab.3...16229.27107.0.29149.17.17.0.0.0.0.124.1770.7j10.17.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.0.0.R4oUSe1p5AQ#spd=2981613959913474947

what do you use for "clean up" when using the enamel washes?  I don't use as many washes as I'd like because cleaning them off of an unwanted area is tricky.  I have the same struggle when using The Detailer.

If you do not let it fully cure, when you are using turpentine it is not as harsh to the surrounding area. When it is not fully dry, you can use makeup sponges or swabs. As Jim pointed out, you can then slightly dampen the tips of these with water or turpentine etc, depending on what you are using as a wash.

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcTpHKaZXA1BrLHjjjk8ashopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-w5qdrQsDGQWdQtwA0

My questions, (2),

1. can you use paint thinner for enamel black?

2. Can you use other colors for a wash? ie; a red dash, use a red wash to highlight areas?

Thanks,

Terry

1) yes if you are using enamel thinner, just be careful of the surrounding areas

2) Yes, I am getting ready to use some dark browns on a tan "leather" interior. Black would simply be too stark. In many cases, like interiors, panel lines etc, you just use a darker color of the color you are washing around.

1) yes if you are using enamel thinner, just be careful of the surrounding areas

2) Yes, I am getting ready to use some dark browns on a tan "leather" interior. Black would simply be too stark. In many cases, like interiors, panel lines etc, you just use a darker color of the color you are washing around.

Additionally, once you lay down the wash with a darker color you can do a bit of dry brushing with a lighter color.  This will give a damaged / used look.  You can try a "primer" color for the dry brushing as well to make areas where paint had been chipped away.  The military model guys are great with this stuff.