Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Beach City Corvette: On the bench 8/19/17

Hello.......this is on the bench.......The Beach City Corvette 1/16 Scale.......My friend Tom West hooked me up with some great reference pics of the The Beach City Corvette 1, driven by Gary Gabelich......The Chassis that Gabelich ran in this car was built by Gilmore/kase .......the BBC engine was offset to the left and the Driver was offset to the right.......I will be making alot of scratch built stuff for this build......The resin body  is from "Flashpoint" ,Terry sold me his last resin body......this is the last resin body that I know of.......this car was my favorite drag car while growing up......I would see this car at Lions Drag Srtrip all the time,so I really want to do a good job on it......my friend Gary with GWS Decals will be making the decals for this version.......and I will be using some of Chris Soback Designs products......I will be using a Mark Johnson BBC resin engine for this build...... thanks for looking.

img086_zps6pykjwyq.jpg

b7655cab9c023627d1da0f688d3b18d6_zpswbnp

beach22_zps98yxwnil.jpg

BeachCityChevroletCorvetteFC13-vi_zps5gz

DSCF4282_zpsmresramu.jpg

DSCF4280_zpsyaaqanyy.jpg

John, never saw the car in action but I agree it was one of my all time favorites too when I was a kid.  The Conway topless funny was another one.  You've got great taste in cars in addition to all that talent.  cheers, tim

Hello.......thank you all so very much for the kind comments.......I really do appreciate them:)......I got a good start on the frame......and started some body work.....I opened up some vents and adjusted the the top and the opening for the scoop....thanks for looking

DSCF4292_zps5ll31vie.jpg

DSCF4291_zpsji2759jw.jpg

DSCF4290_zpsbxd3rmi4.jpg

DSCF4289_zpsdcwnyncv.jpg

DSCF4288_zpslhex6stq.jpg

• Like 1

As the Chi-Town Hustler engine offset went the opposite way, seeing it like this makes sense too.

Owners and Crew Chiefs with their whacky ideas. Waada' ya' gonna do, huh?

Now we just use tried and true engineering and weight distribution to balance the silly things.

Engineers and Chassis Genius' with their logical College degrees.. Wadda' ya' gonna do, huh?

Hello.......thank you all so very much for the kind comments ......I really do appreciate them:)........I got a little more done on the Frame.......I modified a rear end and made a Drive Shaft......I made a Fire Wall and mocked-up the engine.......I also made a seat.........and started making some frame panels.......and I started making the headers......I will work on the front end next.......thanks for looking

DSCF4309_zpsrxqzlxci.jpg

DSCF4308_zps17gwxiem.jpg

DSCF4307_zpsjpwdvz3a.jpg

DSCF4306_zpsyxgzjmsk.jpg

DSCF4305_zps2wrdfiga.jpg

DSCF4304_zpsn42uvngj.jpg

• Like 1

If I may ask, Where did you obtain the info this car had an offset driver  / engine arrangement ?

Ive been collecting info on this car for a while now  ( also looking for the decals in 1/25th scale )  To do as a future build . And I don't remember anything ever stating  anything about off sets .

Ps,  this last pic / body down is a new nostalgia car.  but even it shows a center engine / driver arrangement. And it shows the lowered rocker panel  ( ala, pro mod style / new nostalgia )  That the original car did not have.

70_sbeach_city_7.jpg

003.jpg

Beach-City.jpg

bksh9e.jpg

Edited by gtx6970
  • Like 1

Hi Bill.....my friend and Drag Racing Photographer Tom West did a cut out drawing of the BCC #1 driven by Gary Gabelich in a 1960`s Car Craft Magazine......BCC #1 is the only one that had the  off set engine and driver seat set up ........BCC#2 was driven by Pat Foster and thats when they changed over to a center engine and driver......the Chi- Town Hustler also had a off set engine and driver seat.......thanks

• Like 1

Hi Bill.....my friend and Drag Racing Photographer Tom West did a cut out drawing of the BCC #1 driven by Gary Gabelich in a 1960`s Car Craft Magazine......BCC #1 is the only one that had the  off set engine and driver seat set up ........BCC#2 was driven by Pat Foster and thats when they changed over to a center engine and driver......the Chi- Town Hustler also had a off set engine and driver seat.......thanks

Ok, All the pics I have are the Pat Foster driven car ( aka the one I plan to replicate and is how I do my searches ) Carry on .