Model Cars Magazine Forum

Donovan 417

Terry... I wish I know of some for you in 1/25th but I only know a couple suppliers in 1/16th scale. What Pro Comp car are you wanting to do from the 70's? I grew up around one in California, well actually my parents were part of the pit crew. There is just something about the Dragsters and Funny Cars from back then. They had attitude and probably my favorite by far. 

No specific car, was reading an article from 1975 about all the different combinations for Pro Comp that year. And a dual engine injected on gas or alcohol caught my attention. 

Something different with a Donovan sounded cool. Also thinking about insted of two 417's going with a small block and a Hemi like the Odd Couple gas dragster

I mostly build "what If" kind of models

Edited by tbusch

Paul Mendoza once made some resin blocks to build such a beast. All you had to add where the parts off the Revell 392 and I might still have one in the stash. I will take a look

It's the only 417 I know of.
Donovan based their engine on the 392 and Keith Black on the 426.

I wasn't thinking too well this morning. 

Edited by Daddyfink

Boy thats old! Lol. Its not a 100% exact copy but close enough for many. I cut down a top fuel block into the size to fit the Miss Deal parts. (Probably the best 392 in kit form at the time)

Chuck Mier may still have a mold of it but I doubt it as that was probably at least over a decade ago. 

I made my own mold of my master and it may still be good but all of it has been packed up 

I know of no one who has done a 100% accurate Donovan in scale.

Edit...i found my stash of resin parts and there was several blocks in there. I would be willing to give one up for the cause if you so choose.

Paul

Edited by mr68gts
Added info

I have a gluebomb block like what Daddyfink posted that probably not saveable, but I thought that was just a simple attempt at a Kieth Black block. I am working on one of the Revell top fuel blocks that looks like a better start for a KB block. Still be nice if someone could share what was in the trojan mustang kit. I am doing resin engines so if I get help on kits with decent parts to start with I'd appreciate it. 

I have a gluebomb block like what Daddyfink posted that probably not saveable, but I thought that was just a simple attempt at a Kieth Black block. I am working on one of the Revell top fuel blocks that looks like a better start for a KB block. Still be nice if someone could share what was in the trojan mustang kit. I am doing resin engines so if I get help on kits with decent parts to start with I'd appreciate it. 

Found a listing for the separate engine on eBay. It does look like it is suppose to be the 417.

s-l1600.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

No specific car, was reading an article from 1975 about all the different combinations for Pro Comp that year. And a dual engine injected on gas or alcohol caught my attention. 

Something different with a Donovan sounded cool. Also thinking about insted of two 417's going with a small block and a Hemi like the Odd Couple gas dragster

I mostly build "what If" kind of models

Just wanted to say hello, Terry, since we never seem to get to speak any other way.