Model Cars Magazine Forum

Welly Challenger T/A

Arjay 396

This is one of Welly's later releases and I took a chance on it, seeing as how they've been hit-or-miss for me in terms of shape, detail, and actual scale.  This Challenger is advertised as being 1/24 but it's actually 1/25 as can be seen in the comparison photo with an M2/Castline '71 Challenger R/T (cars are aligned at the rear).  Regardless, I was actually banking on that because I wanted a 1/25th scale Challenger for that portion of my collection.  The model as issued has exceptionally good lines and both the stance and ride height seem correct.  The paint on my example was nearly flawless, representing Dodge's K-2 Go Mango (Welly merely calls it "orange").  The rallye wheels look good and the rubber is adequate for the model's price point.  The interior seems for the most part correct but would benefit from some skillful brush-painted details.  Under-the-hood appointments are a bit weak but understandable given that the car is basically a toy.  Two versions are offered -- the "orange" edition and another that seems close to B-5 Blue.  I detailed the chromed front grill assembly and rear backlite with flat black paint, gave the wheels some flat aluminum to tone down the chrome, then brushed some steel on the center caps.  Tampo-printed AMT Polyglas GT's were a slip-on replacement for the stock tires.  I also drilled out the ends of the exhaust megaphones.  Time permitting, I'm going to disassemble the model and animate the interior with a proper set of instruments for the dashboard and some brown paint to simulate the walnut overlays on the console and door panels.  All in all though, a pretty decent model for the paltry sum of fifteen bucks.  I plan on buying the blue version as well.

DSCN1214AA.JPG

DSCN1212AA.JPG

DSCN1211AA.JPG

DSCN1215AA.JPG

DSCN1256AA.JPG

DSCN1257AA.JPG

DSCN1259AA.JPG

Great review, RJ, thanks for posting it! As the only built Challenger in my collection is a SubLime Johnny Lightning in 1/24, I'll have to be on the lookout for one of these. Now I just need to decide if I want orange or blue. Looks like something that would respond well to a little Snake-Fu (which you seem to be a master of, BTW).

I don't think you'll be disappointed, sir.

And if you ever happen to pick up one of Welly's new '68 Olds 442 replicas, let me (or us) know your impressions.  I've been waffling on that model since its release.  I'm hoping they did a better job with it than their '70 Buick GSX.  I've given up on that thing several times. 

Edited by Arjay 396

I rather liked their '70s GSX. Only hack I have with it is it's just a TINY bit undersized, like around 1/26 or 1/26.5 scale. Still, it looks better on my 1/25 shelf than the Monogram does (which looks like it might be slightly OVER scale).

70BuicGSX03.thumb.jpg.a1dee04752b12a1f2a

70BuicGSX04.thumb.jpg.9d41fa74fb77b23766

70BuicGSX06.thumb.jpg.cfb083f7282567f7cb

My biggest issue with Welly's GSX is the ride height -- scaled up to 1:1 it would sit taller than my 4X4 pickup!  :lol:  And the fuel tank extends so low that it could double as a spare-tire well.  Both of those attributes are amplified by what appear to be 80-series profile tires - they look like they belong on an 18-wheeler.  I think you're right about the scale -- a bit smaller than 1/25th (and certainly not the advertised 1/24th).  I can live with that but I just can't countenance the model's other peccadillos.  One of these days though I'll figure it out.

Yah, I noticed that about the ride height too, but it doesn't bother me as much as it does you. Maybe someday I'll have a fit of industry and lower it a bit, but in the meantime, it looks fine on my 1/25 diecast shelf. Also looks pretty good sitting with my 1/25 '69-72 Chevelles, 4-4-2s, and GTOs. The Buick slot would be empty if not for the Welly.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my blue one yesterday. It's even better than Roger said. Shape is outstanding, the paint is quite nice, and size is very close to the 1/25 Lindberg/Palmer '74 body I just happened to have on the bench. It's definitely one of Welly's best--maybe their VERY best. I think with a little Snake-Fu, it'll look good enough to sit on the shelf with my real 1/25 models, not just with the other diecasts.

I LIKE Challengers, but don't LOVE them. I've wanted to do a model of one for a long time, but there's always something I want to do more jumping ahead in line. This thing should very nicely fill the Challenger slot on my shelf.

Now, Welly, how about a good 1/25 '70 Barracuda of some kind?

I'm happy that you're enjoying the model, sir.  I plan on buying the blue one as well when I find it on sale.  For that color, I'll even consider changing the upholstery from black to white.  BTW, Welly offers four scaled-down versions of this Challenger in 1/34 with the color options listed as "red", "blue", "white", and "orange".  I think they run about six bucks each and they don't look half bad.